1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Videos] Jordan Hill Highlights vs. Knicks, Celtics

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 21, 2010.

1. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Draft express had the best case scenario as a Chris Wilcox type with better rebounding/worst case scenario as a Ronny Turiaf type, so I was going by those analogies. So far Hill has been that type of hustle energy player. We'll see how big of a progress he makes in year 2 (assuming he's not dealt).

Jermaine O'neal, KG, Stoudemire comparisons are a bit much at this point. Nothing from Hill has shown me that you can center your offense around him. (I'm assuming you mean the Pacers Jermaine O'neal and not the Blazers nor the Raptors/Heat JO).

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I read it...so what does similar mean? KG is a 13 time all star, 9 time all-nba selection, 10 time all-defensive team, defensive player of the year, and mvp.

If he meant to say that Hill can be a fourth of the player KG has been, then I may possibly not laugh and take it seriously.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is not anything like those players...

4. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

You've got to love his potential on defense. With his length and speed, Hill can recover quickly when he gets beaten. To think we might finally have somebody who can guard the pick and roll... DUDE.

5. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

This guy has some tremendously quick leaping ability.

6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I know this is a terrible comparison, and he completely does not meet it at this point. However, watching him play reminds me of Dwight Howard. Granted, Dwight is a hell of a lot more athletic. The way he moves around the basket is similar though. Of course, they're loads different too. I would say that Hill has amazing footwork considering he has only played for like 5 years. He also has that outside shot that is sooo very important to a power forward. His post game is very good and a lot different from what I expected. That jump hook is definitely a go to move and fluid as can be.

The positives that we can write down about Hill are as follows:
    1. Great Footwork
    2. Very explosive. His athleticism plus his ability to run and jump very quickly make him very hard to guard.
    3. Has a go to move (that jump hook)
    4. Has a soft jumper. We haven't really seen it, but the guy can hit from mid range.
    5. Flat out hustles.
    6. Has shown the potential to learn. The strides he has made in the last few years are remarkable. I can only assume that he will get better.

I think Hill needs time. His court awareness will come with it. He needs to work out non-stop with Sikma, Dawson, and (God please) Hakeem. I have high hopes for him. Hope it all works out.

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I see a hustle energy opportunistic player, guess what Turiaf and Wilcox are.

Don't tell me you're in the "he can be a KG/Stoudemire" camp.

8. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    I don't agree with the Turiaf assessment at all. I think Wilcox is a good comparison on one condition. We have to be talking about what Wilcox was supposed to be and not what he became. Wilcox himself had all the tools necessary to become a very good player, but he was kind of a bonehead. To me, Jordan Hill has more potential than Wilcox and will easily become what he should have.

9. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Turiaf is the worst case scenario for Hill, I can see all the things Turiaf does that Hill does too, but I do see certain things that Hill does better than Turiaf, namely the pick and roll. So I can understand Draft Express for using Turiaf as a worst case scenario.

Your assessment of Wilcox vs Hill is spot on. Hill seems to be very coachable and not a knucklehead.

10. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

All of your comments PLUS I love his free throw shooting.

Yes, he is raw but the way he plays, he shows a lot of composure. He doesn't get flustered whenever he gets the ball. High basketball IQ

Excited about how his game will develop further along for next year

D'Antoni should have just kept his mouth shut. Jordan is making him eat his words.

11. dcalvo

dcalvo Member

Kob...I mean D'Antonio how my ass taste?

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

When CD teaches him the classic rockets jump hook, its going to help his game alot. There is alot to like about hill in terms of ability. Evereything in the post comes off the jump hook as hakeem said many,many years ago. He posts, go to the middle for the hook. He goes to the middle and steps through. He goes to the middle, is stopped, reverses to the left. Thats all you need when you can get off the floor. Dream was so special with the counter and post counter moves, but hill can't be like that. All he needs to do is be like kevin willis in terms of post game. Then learn to face and create space on the jimmy. I wonder of he's going to be in fonde this summer.

13. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

At this point, I would be ecstatic if he can be a carl landry with shot blocking ability for us next season

14. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Jermaine O'Neal Lite?

15. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

Andersen Varejao with a little more offense? (needs to learn to flop from scola perhaps?) :grin:

16. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

I really don't want anyone touching his jump hook. Wit the spin, he gets it up rather quick since he isn't bothering to square up. Heck, he barely gather's himself before he's back up again. Atleast from a offensive rebounding standpoint, don't touch it. Sure as a post up go to guy, it's not all there, but do we really want that? We have Scola and Yao. I'd rather he focus on the jumper and learning how to play within the offense at the top of the key.

I really like how he doesn't seem to take up a lot of space despite his size. He can get in for rebounds more easily it seems. I think he's going to be great next to Yao to clean up the boards, as well as play the help defense that Yao can't. And he's going to need to be the guy who plays one-one on the other team's more mobile big.

17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I think the priority for Hill this summer will be to become more confident hitting the mid range jumper. That will open up his game quite a bit. Still probably a little early to be focusing on his post moves considering he will get very few times to make something happen on his own. Right now he needs to be able to finish around the hoop when he gets offensive rebounds or gets dishes while the defense is cheating on someone else AND make the defense pay with a mid range jumper if the defense sags. Basically, he needs to be able to make the defenses pay if they leave him open. He has already shown a surprising knack for finishing when he gets the ball in the paint(could still use some polish though) so to me, the next big step is to get him comfortable hitting the mid range quickly which probably won't be that hard as he seems to have a bit of a jump shot already - at least his FT shot looks good for a post player).

I would also like to see him step hard towards the rim to put the ball back in more as he seems to move away from the rim when shooting it in the paint. He's effective, but a guy of his size and leaping ability should have a hard move to the rim to add to the softer touch shot when moving away from the rim. Part of that could be because he is a rookie who doesn't have near the core strength of his opponents out there. As he gets a little stronger, he will be able to initiate contact in the paint on put backs as long as he doesn't get in the habit of moving away from the hoop.

18. Classic

Classic Member

Great foot work. Fluid free throw stroke. Quick leaper. Great instincts as a face up defender. Two or three years of experience and off seasons and we should have ourselves a great powerforward. I like the Jermaine O'Neal comparisons--Indy version--as his ceiling.

19. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I think his ceiling is a little bit of an unknown since the number of years he has been playing basketball is less than most NBA players.

You guys are bickering over something nobody can predict at this time....

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i'm surprised no one has mentioned he grabs the ball almos tlike a baseball...i thinkt he ability to palm the ball well is often an underrated skill/talent in the league. It's a big reason why Brooks can dribble the way he can and spin the ball off the glass so well.

Hill doesnt need to regroup himself like many guys and come down with the ball, grab it with both hands,and go back up. He's really good at going up with one hand and even when fouled he's got foul control of the ball in his hand, while some other players may fumble it a bit.