1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Von Wafer's Seven Threes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 15, 2008.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He has obviously improved in confidence and ability............

2. alcatrazpsycho

I meant on that particular play... the clock was winding down, Brooks had no where to go, and he gives it to a guarded Wafer expecting him to make a miracle shot (which he did).

I'm sure that wasn't in the playbook.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not to mention he had a PG that was getting him WIDE OPEN LOOKS....you know...what a PG is supposed to do.

GO AB !!!

DD

4. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Like I said, you can't expect Brooks to break down the defense every time...at the very least he knew to feed the hot hand. If Aaron can keep his confidence up, I think we can look forward to him being a force for us against other teams' second units.

5. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

he didn't just hit them, i can't think of a shot on that clip where he hit the rim. It was sounding crisp.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

9 assists 2 turnovers.

Nuff said.

DD

7. alcatrazpsycho

I know I'm hard on the kid. I just can't help it. I like Brooks. It's just that, his rookie season turned me into somewhat of a doubter. I'm just afraid that Brooks might end up being the next Moochie Norris if he doesn't play with the confidence like he had in this game.

8. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

I just finished watching the game.

I must say, this was by far AB's best game as a Rocket. He shot the hell out of the ball and found the open man. Great game by Aaron. He's definitely coming around.

I know it's just one game, but damn... we need more shooters. Wafer... that's the guy.

I like Mike Harris a lot, but we're loaded at that position. Strawberry is a good defender, but I don't think his shooting will be too reliable.

Head has to go before mid-season.

What a game.

9. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

His confidence is definitely on the rise as evidence by the last two games. He's doing well against starters, that's what's most impressive to me. I would consider these team's starting guards to be better than almost every backup guard on the rosters of contenders.

10. Zfan

Zfan Member

Is it fluke or real?
    Excellent game by Wafer. Would anyone please comment his mechanics?

11. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

I don't think it's a fluke. Do I think he's going to make 7 threes every night? No.

The guy is a good shot. He's going to make his share of baskets. I think he can provide solid shooting from the bench. I'd definitely keep him around.

12. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

If Wafer would have stayed in college for all 4 years (which is clear he should have), this would have been his rookie season. In college he was a 36.5% shooter from the shorter 3 point line (108/296).

Interesting that Luther and Wafer were drafted in the same year. Who was drafted right behind Wafer? Monta Ellis.

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I'm sold that this guy can contribute if he doesn't lose what he has built up. Him and his long shot is a long shot worth keeping around! :D

14. DPballer

DPballer Member

Thanks to Clutch for the video. I think Bill Worrell said it best:

"Think they oughta guard him?"

Looks like the Boki Nachbar Effect is at it again. That was a repeated terrible display of defense minus the last shot. I think it's fitting his last name rhymes with Rafer. He'll have a game like this and then go 2-7 the next game. 21 of his 23 points came from mostly open shots. What's going to happen when they're not falling?

Strawberry can help the team more than just outside shooting. If I can only choose one, I go with Straw.

And yes DD, lets celebrate Brooks because he played well against the Thunder in preseason. Then he'll struggle during the regular season and we're back to Alston playing 40 minutes in important games, hoping he doesn't get banged up again. Too predictable.

15. DPballer

DPballer Member

Off the bench, we are expected to have Battier, Barry, Head, and Brooks to give us shooting from the bench. That's enough of that. We need more defense off the bench. We could use the size and athleticism at the guard position as well. DJ gives us that more than Von.

16. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

aaron brooks seems to be able to penetrate the defense at will.

17. RAID

RAID Contributing Member

I enjoyed watching this game and especially seeing Wafer get in a zone. That last shot had me up in the air. With that said, anyone at this level can have a good game and I think the ability to stay consistent is the key. On this team, having guys who can hit an open three is required. I'd like to see what Wafer can do for us during the regular season so I vote to keep him. As they said in the post game show, if he didn't make the Rockets roster with tonight's performance then he made somebody else's.

18. yobod

yobod Member

We have enough players to launch 3's all day with Barry, Rafer, Tmac, Brooks, Artest, Head. Breaking down the defense is what we are lacking and Strawberry does that in spades. When he felt like it, he could attack the basket at will as evident in the 1st quarter getting to the line at least 8 free throws.

With Strawberry that would give us 3 young athletic players that can really take it to the rim (along with Brooks and Landry).

Harris and Francis out, Strawberry and Deke in.

19. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

On size, both Wafer and Strawberry are 6'5. Both are the same age (23).

I think Strawberry is more defensive minded, I can't recall Wafer's D the whole preaseason, nothing really stood out on his D.

20. yobod

yobod Member

Would you guys rather cut Head or Francis?

I think Head at least has contributed to our team. Francis hasn't done anything to warrant not getting cut if someone absolutely had to be cut.

Just wondering.