1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[video]Vernon Maxwell's 51 point game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 18, 2011.

?

When I think of Maxwell, I think

1. of his defense

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. of his fire

29 vote(s)
    47.5%
  3. of his game winning clutch shots

14 vote(s)
    23.0%
  4. the great harmony of hip hop music and the nba in the 90s

3 vote(s)
    4.9%
  5. they need to make a 30 for 30 for him

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Get a life. **** was like 17 years ago.

1 person likes this.
  2. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

A few years back someone posted the footage of him punching out the fan from a youtube clip. It was a really wierd vid with post game interviews from Jerry Seinfeld and Rick Adelman. Does anyone have this video? Damn I should have downloaded it when it was still up.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yes, it was along time ago. I still don't know why you are on this thread? are you here to just jack up the post count or something or do you actually appreciate the video?

History can't be erased, it could however be taught.

you can't stop this thread. A new Rockets fan will click on the video and see the ONLY 30 point in 1 quarter performance by a Rocket.

It's Rockets History, like it or not, it's pure, it's real.

Don't change for you
    Don't change a thing.. for me

4. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

Lovely thread.

I will always love Max. He and Mario Elie were such beasts on defense and perfect space shooters for Hakeem to throw it out to. We had the perfectly built team.

It was also nice hearing a young Bill Worrell. I'm going to be devastated when he leaves.

5. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

So did Ron Artest. You gotta excuse some things.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ycn-7745500

thats some pretty good company.

Players with Most Points Scored in One Quarter in NBA History

1. George Gervin - 33 points

On April 9, 1978 George Gervin of the San Antonio Spurs scored 33 points in the second quarter vs the New Orleans Jazz. That is tied with Carmelo Anthony for the most points ever scored by one player in one quarter in NBA history.

Gervin had already poured in 20 points in the 1st quarter of that game as that was the last day of the 1978 season and he was in a tight battle with David Thompson for the NBA scoring title. Gervin scored 63 points in the game and won the first of his four NBA scoring titles.

1. Carmelo Anthony - 33

On December 10, 2008 Carmelo Anthony of the Denver Nuggets scored 33 points in the 3rd quarter vs the Minnesota Timberwolves to tie with George Gervin for the highest point total in one quarter in NBA history.

Melo made 12 of the 15 shots he took in the quarter and scored 26 straight points for the Nuggets during the quarter who won the game 116-105 after trailing by 12 points at the half. Anthony would finish the game with 45 points.

2. David Thompson - 32 points

On April 9, 1978 the last day of the season David Thompson poured in 32 points in the 1st quarter for the Denver Nuggets vs the Detroit Pistons. That is the 2nd highest point total for a player in one quarter in NBA history.

Thompson was locked in a battle with George Gervin for the NBA scoring title in 1978. He went on to score 21 more points in the 2nd quarter giving him 53 points for the half. He would end the game with 73 points which is the 4th highest point total in one game in NBA history. Despite all the points Thompson finished second in scoring to Gervin who is listed above.

3. Wilt Chamberlain - 31 points

When Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points in one of the most famous games in NBA history on March 2, 1962 for the Philadelphia Warriors in Hershey, Pennsylvania he scored 31 points in the 4th quarter to get him to 100 for the game. Wilt had scored 28 points in the 3rd quarter to get him within hailing distance of the 100 points.

4. Kobe Bryant(notes) - 30 points twice

Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers has twice scored 30 points in one quarter. On December 20, 2005 Kobe scored 30 points in the 3rd quarter against the Dallas Mavericks and finished the game with 62 total points. The next season on November 30, 2006 Kobe scored 30 again in the 3rd quarter vs the Utah Jazz and finished that game with 52 total points.

When Kobe had his 81 point game he scored 27 points in the 3rd quarter and 28 more points in the 4th quarter.

4. Michael Jordan - 30 points

On November 26, 1988 Michael Jordan scored 30 points in the 4th quarter against the Denver Nuggets.

4. Vernon Maxwell - 30 points

On January 26, 1991 Vernon Maxwell of the Houston Rockets scored 30 points in the 4th quarter against the Cleveland Cavaliers. Maxwell finished the game with 51 points.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw that one on youtube too. It didn't show the punch, but it did have the reaction from Seinfeld, Drexler, and Rick the Ruler.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yeah, we've had so many rings since then.

8. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Loved Max. Really hurt the way he went out quitting on the team the way he did... acting like he did.... saying the things he did.

Doesn't erase the great moments, but it sure didn't help.

He'll always be part of our greatest moments in the NBA, that won't change.

Good thread is good, and anybody here who doesn't like Rockets history and it's greatness is probably in the wrong place.

9. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

In the poll I wasnt sure which to pick, Im between his defense or his clutch winning shots.
    I remember him in the '94 Finals.