1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[video]Vernon Maxwell update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Feb 27, 2012.

1. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

Started watching sports @ 16 (1992) so was just catching the Rockets right before the Championship years but came in right when Hakeem and Patterson were having the contract dispute crap...

But I can say I LOVED Maxwell period. His "I don't care what anyone else says" attitude. And his shooting conscience (he had none).

I recall a last minute fling at the basket shot that hit off glass and banked in (I think Clyde hit a similar shot against Denver at some point too)... or maybe I am confusing this with Clyde.

Max was the first replica jersey I owned in high school and recall walking into school with it on (backwards, unintentionally).

All that said to say I am glad Max seems to be doing well. After all his legal issues surrounding child support, he seems to be getting on well with (at least some of) his kids.

Thanks for this Tinman.

Ouch that kinda hurt saying that --

2. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

I used to run into him back in the day at Porsche Club of America events. He was really a great guy and was never anything but a gentleman, even when losing in autocross meets. Guess the heat of the moment in basketball is what brought out his other, super competitive side.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Even the veins in their arms!

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

And here is an example of Vernon being wrong with Hakeem but getting his back regardless. Horry might actually be talking about this play.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iAkwsv314VM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Game is over. Barkley's season is over. And Hakeem breaks the unwritten rule of going for a slam dunk on the last possession instead of dribbling out the clock.

Max is not concerned about why...he just knows that Hakeem got pushed to the floor.

5. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

I just hope his departure will not keep him of the 1990s all decades team because he deserves to be on there !! It should be Kenny, Clyde, Vernon, Thorpe & Olajuwon.

6. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

loved the pre-95 Mad Max.

Then he pulled a T-mac and quit on the team.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know he gets criticized cause he was not the most well behaved Rocket.

But he was the realest.

Like blasting "My Mind's playing tricks on me" out your cassette player in your Olds

Like walking across the walkway from Edloe cause you were too cheap to park at Greenway

Like watching Menace II Society at the theater on opening night

Like knowing the lyrics to Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock "It takes two"

Like eating at a restaurant you know was on Marvin Zindler's list

Like placing your quarter up at the Street Fighter 2 Champion Edition machine

Like celebrating championships at the Astrodome

Like eating chicken mcNuggets before you knew they were bad for you, and getting like 10 different sauces

Like listening to Gene Peterson, not for what he says, but for his tone of voice to know if the Rockets were winning

Like going on Clutchcity.net

8. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

Like punching fans
    Like faking injuries
    Like infecting women with sexually transmitted diseases
    Like failing to pay child support

He was a great player, not so great a guy. And he quit on the team in just as real a fashion as T-mac.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

I see what you are trying to do, but you're not very good at it.

Like a bad Styx song

10. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

aww, Tinman. Don't be mad.

I thought you liked "keeping it real"??

11. tinman

Supporting Member

hahaha,
    I'm not mad, you're just no good at posting dude.

but i'm not going to stop you. post whatever you want

I know the real Rocket fans love Vernon Maxwell and the fake ones don't.

It was written like in the book of Clutch City.

I keep it real dude, all 99ers do

12. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Member

Is that English?

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Your welcome,
    this is a certified REAL POST . We know you have experienced Clutch City and not a Fakebot.

The Summit awaits you my friend

14. tinman

Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e_xj9jLL_co" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think as dumb as Vernon was sometimes, he wasn't that dumb and saw the writing on the wall. Rudy even said that Vernon's inconsistent behavior was bothering him and the team couldn't really rely on him in a playoff push because you wouldn't know which vernon would show up - the warrior who stands by his team or the one who flakes out on them. So.... hello, Mr. Drexler.

16. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

Umm...yeah...but he was still on the team. The defending champs. I'm sure that Rudy and Co. can kinda laugh it off now as Max being Max but what if Clyde had got hurt. I still like him but thats not easy for me as a fan to forget, Its hard to believe competitors like Hakeem, Elie, and Cassell can just forget that.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

It's called letting things go that happened along time ago.
    Elie and cassell are Max's best friends.

18. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

You should take some of your own advise man. Hell, now when I look at Pippen's name I don't curse the alphabet anymore.

19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

MJ hated playing against Max because he would get shut down, Dream & OT would dominate the interior(on both ends), and the Bulls more often than naught were the loser.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Nobody shut MJ down. Max made it more difficult for him to score, but MJ still went off on the Rockets plenty of times.