1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[video]UT freshmen hit by bus during foam sword fight

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Child_Plz, May 4, 2012.

1. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Damn. He lived because:

1) The millisecond before the bus hit him, our hero Nick jumped up defensively and braced for impact. His leap caused him to fly and slide against the ground instead of straight going into the ground. I'm positive if he didnt notice the bus at all, the result would be very different. The bus driver is VERY lucky he's not facing manslaughter charges.

2) His backpack cushioned the fall and absorbed a good deal of the impact against the road.

Also, Obama mask probably blessed him with some protection

#41 LCII, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

holy crap, that's one lucky sob...

3. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Wouldn't it be funny if all the kids "fighting" in the streets got charged with assault?

4. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

http://www.kvue.com/news/UT-student-walks-away-after-being-struck-by-CapMetro-bus-150254715.html

UT student walks away after being struck by CapMetro bus .

AUSTIN -- A University of Texas student is hit by a Capital Metro bus and walks away.

It is all caught on camera. KVUE News spoke to the student, 18 year-old Nick Engmann, by phone. He was not feeling well enough to do an interview, but the cell phone video of the crash posted on YouTube tells the story. It shows UT students about to take part in their massive foam sword fight that marks the last day of class before exams each semester.

Engmann, a freshman wearing a rubber mask, had raced out into the street near the crosswalk. Police say he had the right of way when he was struck by the bus.
    "I saw the flash mob start at noon," said John Hull, who works nearby. "From behind the bus I saw the whole commotion stopped, and everybody just dispersed."

"Right over there you can see the chalk in the ground," said Brad North, who was driving on Guadalupe at 22nd Street at that very moment. "I saw the windshield. It is unbelievable that he is okay and out of the hospital, and that he actually walked away from this."

"That is crazy," said Allie Gassaway, who works nearby. "I would not imagine that he would be okay with a busted windshield and a humongous city bus."

Engmann was released from St. David's Medical Center just hours after the accident. On his Facebook page he posted, "Adrenaline = long gone, pain killers = barely helping. Sorest guy on the planet."

Austin police confirmed the bus driver ran a red light.

"The driver is a 21-year veteran with only one incident on his record," said Dan Dawson, vice president of Marketing and Communications for Cap Metro. "He will be placed on administrative leave until the outcome of the investigation is completed. That investigation will include an alcohol and drug test."

5. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. That particular crossing is a death trap. All it takes is one idiot driver during the daytime to injure a bunch of kids crossing. And everyone is in such a rush that half the time kids are crossing when the light is still green to get to class on time.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

one of the black SUV's that drove by about 10 seconds before was me. Pretty crazy it happened right behind us. We were wondering wtf was going on..

That first bus through the intersection was waiting to pick people up. When it was about to move, there were about 5-7 kids off the sidewalk, and the bus had to honk to get them out of the way and prevent them from being run over.

So they were already being idiots and asking for it.. not that a bus should have ran a red

Also, this was his post after (not that I know him)

[​IMG]

7. EAZY...

EAZY... Member