1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Terrence Williams - 13 Points Vs Magic (12.26.11)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by batkins, Dec 26, 2011.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You can't think period. I think the more you think; the worse your posting logic gets.

2. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

DaDakota,

Great post. We need more of these than the one-liners.

#102 srrm, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  3. londeozhang

londeozhang Member

4. Roxs-Redemption

LOL. Of course he is a man, but I know what you meant!
    Thats because we didnt see him play last season a lot.

5. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

We found Will in a starless place

6. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Thanks for the play-by-play breakdown. It backs up my general perception exactly.

He's still Stro Swift at the wing until he can learn to play smarter on both ends of the court. It still remains to be seen if he can do that.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You won't be satisfied until he puts up 30/10/10. :rolleyes:
    That is the problem with people like you. You think you're breaking the trend. That hating T-Will makes you cool and innovative. Nope!

He's playing more solid than Bud is playing right now... but whatever. Too many Rick Adelmans on this board.
    For example if T-Will goes 2 for 23 then the board will be in a fit of rage and demand that he be shipped off to Siberia.
    Martin goes 2 for 23 and everyone is praising him and defending him. "Its just a slump!".

1 person likes this.
  8. Htown's2kFinest

Really "Stro Swift at the wing"...

So he's just all athleticism and nothing else? I think you have Twill mixed up with James White. Twill, like Murray put it, is the best rebounding wing in the NBA. That plus his court vision, PG ball-handling skills, and nack for scoring. Williams is far from just an athlete. He is just a consistent jumpshot away from being a very very good player for the Rockets.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

A lot of fans of the Rox were absolutely pulling their hair out watching Rafer plunk up 3 for 11s when the team brought in VSpan. We were dying to see VSpan on the floor. And a lot of us felt he was better than Rafer. I, for one, still do. And I'm convinced Van Gundy, for as good a coach as he is, ruined the guy over here.

When Von Wafer joined the Rockets, we were a 1-trick pony, McGrady/Yao PnR. We had no bench scorers. Von was a guy capable of putting up 20 points in short minutes off the bench. A lot of us liked him because we didn't have anybody else to like off the bench. And when he left, we didn't know where we were going to get bench scoring from.

When we drafted Brooks, we were once again dealing with Rafer's shooting numbers and most of us fell in love with Brooks shooting and finishing ability. He made us salivate to have him shooting all those spot-ups off the McGrady/Yao stuff instead of Rafer firing up bricks. We couldn't wait to get him in the lineup and get Rafer out of here. When it happened, Brooks exploded on the court. But along with Rafer's departure came the arrival of Kyle Lowry, a much underrated fire-hydrant of a point guard. And most all of us, including DD fell in love with Kyle's production off the bench.

It wasn't until McGrady and Yao went down that Brooks' spots started showing. He didn't have Yao to cover all the blow-bys and he didn't have McGrady and Yao to play off of so his offensive efficiency started coming into light. Meanwhile Kyle was giving us more D that we were sorely lacking and was getting the the FT a lot and his shooting was starting to improve. DD didn't catch on to that at first. But that doesn't mean he was wrong about Brooks, Von Wafer, or VSpan. Time has proven that Rafer was not the answer, that Brooks was a better option on that 111 team. I think time has proven that VSpan is a better point guard than Rafer was. And Von Wafer did a good job off the bench for us. Yeah, he was replaceable but hindsight is 20/20.

DD knows his basketball folks. Yeah, like a lot of us, he can be over the top with his opinions. I'm very opinionated. And most of the best posters I know on this board are very opinionated, and they've been around for years, following this team for a long time. DD has also experienced a lot of basketball. He's not a 19 year old zit-faced teenager. He's been following the game for awhile.

Most of you younger guys in your teens and early 20's don't know as much about basketball as you think you do, especially the pro game, where you have to consider contracts, injuries, age, talent fit, personalities, etc. There's more to the game than what you think.

While we don't have to agree, you should recognize basketball acumen. DD has it. Even if you disagree with his logic. He has it. And a lot of times he is right.

So please quit the stupid hairy high-school bashing. It doesn't fit, especially with veteran members here.

1 person likes this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is just not true, he lacks so much more than just a consistent jumpshot, he also lacks defensive court awareness.

As good as his vision is on offense it is just as bad as it is on defense, and shockingly on offense his vision is only good when he is dribbling the ball.

TWill has a long way to go in understanding the NBA game.

DD

11. Sooner423

This has nothing to do about being cool and innovative, as I am rarely either. This has to do with looking beyond the stat sheet. I would have thought Rockets fans would be some of the best equipped to do this with non-stats superstars consistently filling out the roster (i.e. Battier, Hayes)

T-Will did the same thing he did in NJ before they shipped him off. We saw nothing new. The team was worse with him on the floor as evidenced by his team worst -10 +/-. He had a nice dunk and some flashy drives/jumpers. Offensively, he showed what he has always shown he can do in flashes. If he hits that jumper consistently going forward, then that's something. Defensively, he was just as bad as ever. If he wants to get consistent playing time on this team, he has to prove to be an appreciably better defender than those above him on the depth chart.

Kevin Martin is an established NBA star. That's apples and oranges. He has earned a pass by being one of the most efficient stars in this league consistently.

12. YaosDirtyStache

First, no one EVER earns a pass in the NBA.

Second, if KMartin scores 30 points but gives up 32...did he help the team?

13. Htown's2kFinest

OK I heard it all.

Kmart- established NBA STAR!
    Bud defense>>>>>>Twill Defense

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Both are correct, fine sir.

DD

15. Sooner423

Lol, and I never lol.

Martin has 436 games of a proven track record. We're not going to go ape **** after one bad game.

If KMart goes the next five games shooting 10% from the floor, then, yeah, I'll be concerned. However, if he were to fall off that far, his downfall would only be rivaled by Nick Anderson. It just doesn't happen that often when injuries and age aren't involved.

He has a career WS/48 of .150.

T-Will has shown nothing in his 100 games. His potential is tantalizing to say the least, but we've seen too many in the same situation ultimately fail. I'm not going to get excited about him until he can prove to be a positive player on the floor.

BTW, he has a career WS/48 of -.019. Please note the (-).

If T-Will puts up 13 and JJ Redick and Hedo Turkoglu put up 20 and 23 respectively...did he help the team?

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I wonder if Terrence is reading this thread.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Dunno, but I sure hope he's watching video of the Spurs against Memphis along with the 2 preseason games and studying the tendencies of the Spurs offense and talking to his teammates and coaches about the defensive game plan.

18. Sooner423

We can only hope.

19. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

You can't blame 43 points on T-Will.

I agree that he and Budinger didn't do a good job defensively, but then again, the entire team played crap defense.

20. Sooner423

I'm not. That was part of my point. Matchups are not in a vacuum. The NBA is not a one-on-one league.

The entire perimeter D was ****, no doubt. T-Will was just particularly bad.