1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Terrence Williams - 13 Points Vs Magic (12.26.11)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by batkins, Dec 26, 2011.

1. cod

cod Member

Budinger was a little late on a few rotations. Other times Hedo just took a step back, with a hand in his face, and sunk the shot anyway.

The only time I noticed Hedo doing anything against TWill was when he took him off the dribble at the baseline.

2. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

I don't think your a moron. In fact, I agree with about 40% of your posts.

But sometimes I feel like your being an attention-wl-l0r3... Just like you describe T-Will..

Which is sad, because if you didn't comment on everything, people would probably take your posts more seriously.

3. Codeo

Codeo Member

I assume this is coming with video evidence and not just your version of what happened.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

TWill vs CBud defense

TWILL VS CBUD DEFENSIVE BREAKDOWN FROM LAST NIGHTS GAME:

11:35 in 1Q CBud forces Turkey Glue into a step back 3 - Miss - Good Defense

10:55 in 1Q TurkeyGlue posts up CBud on rt block, CBud plays good D forces bad shot as Turkey Glue falls down - Make - Good Defense

10:27 in 1Q CBud rotates and closes in on Jason Richardson in the corner for a 3pt attempt - Miss - Good Defense.

9:01 in 1Q Turkey Glue at 3pt line, CBud on him - forces horrible alley oop pass because CBud had hand up high - miss - pass off backboard - Good defense.

5:20 CBud substituted out for TWill - So far CBud has played perfect position defense.

-------------------------------------------------------------

4:35 in 1Q - TWill caught watching the ball, his man Turkey Glue sneaks in backside for a free offensive rebound - miss by TG, DH put back - Bad position defense by TWill.

4:18 in 1Q Twill takes Nelson on break, Nelson goes right by him for easy layup at rim - Bad defense.

2:15 in 1Q Twill picked at top allowing Reddick wide open 3pt shot - miss - Good defense by TWill he was picked.

1:35 in 1Q Twill caught peaking at Dhoward Reddick blows by him Twill recovers to contest a 12 footer -miss - Good Defense.

1:05 in 1Q TWill picks up Reddick at 3pt line, Reddick goes by him for the uncontested layup as TWill trails - Terrible defense.

10:09 in 2Q Twill on Richardson as he cuts through the lane watches Davis get a layup when he was right next to him instead of contesting shot - Make - Terrible help defense.

8:34 in 2Q Twill on Jrich, gives him too much room allows him to get to top of key and have a wide open pass to Anderson for a dunk at the rim - got to stay closer to man - poor defense.

8:00 in 2Q Twill guarding TurkeyGlue, gets picked and fails to follow picker to the rim as Howard rolls and gets easy dunk after JHill switched to stop Turkey glue - poor defense.

TWill out at 5:21 and Chase back in - a really poor defensive outing by TWill too much looking around and not enough paying attention to his man or moving his feet, very lazy defense for the most part.

--------------------------------------------------------------

5:07 in 2Q CBud on TGlue - they run same high pick with DHoward to the hole they just ran earlier, CBud sticks with TGlue forces bad bounce pass to Howard - who still manages to score the ball - Good defense.

4:09 in 2Q CBud on TGlue, picks him up at 3pt line, forces TGlue to left hand side, contested shot from 8ft, miss - Great position defense and contest.

38 sec in 2Q Reddick blows by Lowry, Cbud leaves TGlue to cut off lane at basket forces a pass by Reddick - Great help defense

That is the entire first half, there were more plays but they were inconsequention to the play of either on defense.

Suffice it to say that CBud played excellent defense in the first half and Twill played poorly on D in the first half.

On to the 2nd half

---------------------------------------------------------------------

11:34 in 3rd quarter - CBud on Tglue - Anderson picks CBud and TurkeyGlue to the hole for a layup - bad team defense - not much you can do about a pick without Scola's help on that.

10:46 in 3rd quarter, Nelson blows by Lowry and hits a back cutting TGlue for a layup as CBud trails - poor defense by CBud.

8:35 in 3rd quarter, Anderson sets pick for Turkey Glue Cbud recovers and forces pass to DHoward while JHill watches.....- good D by CBud.

7:41 in 3rd quarter, on fast break Cbud checks middle of lane and gives weak help on layup by Richardson - poor help D by CBud.

6:40 in 3rd quarter - CBud picked up top by Howard recovers to force a fallaway 12 footer by Turkey Glue - make - Good position defense, better shot.

5:40 - CBud out - decent defense in 3rd quarter, not as good as first half but in position very well most of the time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Twill on at about 2:30 in 3rd quarter:

TWill on Von Wafer who stood in corner and watched Magic offense - and Twill stayed on him pretty much - literally neither did any movement on that end.

------------------------------------------------------

4th quarter:

11:00 of 4th Q Twill on TGlue, pnRoll with Big baby, TWill sticks with his man forces TGlue to make pass off of Sammy's foot - Good Defense.

10:15 another screen and roll with BBaby and TGlue - Good defense by Twill recovering to contest the pass.

9:00 4Q - Twill switches to Big baby gets caught watching ball gives up wide open 15 footer to BBaby - miss - Poor defense.

8:25 4q - Twill and CBud in - next bit about both of them.
    --------------------------------------------------------

8:15 4q - Cbud on TGlue, forces him to his left to take a fall away 20 footer, make - good defense.

7:29 4q Cbud on TGlue, pnr with DHoward, Cbud recovers, good help D by JHill, and they force a bad shot by Howard CBud rebounds - Good Defense and great team help.

CBud back out 6:30 of 4q.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

4:04 in 4th Q TWill up tight on TGlue, TGlue uses weak screen to get seperation and blows by TWill for an uncontested layup at rim. Poor defense, no need to get so tight 25 ft from basket, over aggressive.

1:30 in 4q TWill watching Howard with ball TGlue slides a little, Howard back out for an uncontested 3pter - Good - poor defensive awareness.

1:07 in 4q TGlue iso on TWill forces left fade away 12 footer - miss - Very good defense.

12 seconds left in game 6 point game, TWill caught looking AGAIN at ball pass to a wide open TGlue for 3pter - make - ball game - Horrendous attention to defense at a crucial stage of the game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

There ya have it Clutchfans, comparison between CBud and TWill overall Cbud was the MUCH better defender both as a teamate and in one on one situations.

TWill is athletic, but so often is out of position and while Bud is no Shane Battier he was almost ALWAYS in the right spot both in help defense and in one on one D.

It is not comparison, in this game, CBud was a good defender, and TWill was a poor one.

The only conlcusion is that too many people around here fall for the "Big athlete with a big mouth" and overlook the solid performers.

Hopefully the coaching staff is not that stupid.

DD

3 people like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I agree but he wouldn't be the DD that he is today.

6. DaDakota

Typical that I take a good amount of time to break it down to prove the people that are just spouting the company line without any actual knowledge or understanding can learn a little something, and all you hear from that side of the fence is.....

Crickets !!

DD

7. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Good breakdown DD. Also, any specific reason you refer to Turkoglu as TurkeyGlue every single time?

8. DaDakota

Giggles.....I like whomever coined the name Turkey Glue.....sounds funny.

DD

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From what I have seen from Chase Budinger and Terrence Williams in college and the pros, I find it easy to conclude that Terrence Williams can make a much larger impact on the defensive side of the ball. He gets in the passes lanes and puts the kind of pressure on ball that you need at an elite level, similar to Tony Allen. Chase is a glorified training dummy. He doesn't have the length to contest ala Battier, nor does he have the quickness to put the kind of pressure this team needs on ball, the kind of pressure that strikes fear into offensive players. He is a decent help defender, but he can become a ghost when his shot isn't falling.

(Just wait until we get to the Kobe/Wade/Lebron/Tyrekes...)

Chase physically can't handle these guys, no matter how well he plays them. Terrence has that ability., imo

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Chirp chirp. Chirp chirp.

Appreciate the breakdown. We disagree about "good defense". My term for it is ineffective. We disagree about "bad defense" too. You have to look at the total play and what a defender is being forced to do.

One interesting point to me is that you have butchered TWill for being "overagressive" on the screens because TWill is climbing over the top to prevent the jumper. All I kept reading about last year was how terrible Lowry was defensively because he was going under the screens and letting his man light up the jumper. I thought Kyle was playing within the defensive scheme last season, trying to help protect the paint because we lacked size so badly and I feel like TWill was working within our current defensive scheme by forcing the dribble and eliminating the jumper. After all, they were canning the jump shot like rain coming down in Seattle.

My final word on this is, "You'll see just like you finally saw with Lowry and Brooks." The 2/3 partner to Martin has to be a defensive player, either TWill or Lee or somebody else that can D it up. And the 2/3 partner to Chase needs to be either TWill or Lee or some other better than average defender.

1 person likes this.
  11. CXbby

CXbby Member

This is what some here fail to understand, no matter how much they would like to dig for a different answer.

Lazy late defense by Williams > solid on time defense by Budinger.

Williams is just more athletic, more aggressive, more imposing. I like his potential as a Ron Artest type defender, who may not always be in the right spot like Battier, but will get under your skin and make you do things you do not want.

You described Budinger perfectly. Training dummy. Those are always in the right spot too, doesn't mean it will matter. Seems like everyone is always hitting these tough shots on him doesn't it? It's because they aren't tough. There is a 0% chance that Budinger's hardest close out will effect anyone's shot, much less block it, so people shoot as if he isn't even there.

Sorry, but it doesn't matter if Budinger tries. I'm sure Ryan Bowen tried his hardest to make those open jump shots that rimmed out. Heck, put me out there, I'll try too.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Given DD's track record, if I stay on the other side of him in a basketball argument, I will be right more often than not. DD stated Bud, Vspan, Von Wafer, Novak, Dan Langhi, and Brooks were the future of the rockets. He also spent about 10K posts saying that Carmelo wasn't a good player or a winner.

Therefore my position is Twill is the future and and Cbud is a turd. I actually thought both were somewhere in between, but given DD's adamant support for Bud, it is safe to say that he will be out of the starting lineup soon enough. :D

1 person likes this.
  13. DaDakota

Let's see.

Bud - don't know but a solid player, I like him but would trade him.
    Vspan - not what I said at all.
    Von Wafer - not what I said
    Novak - never like him
    Langhi - Was joking - but you weren't here to know that.
    Brooks - just as good as Lowry in the year he started, and then got hurt.
    Melo - is not a Superstar - still believe that -so you got one sorta right.

Sure, be a sheeple, don't think for yourself - it is ok with me.

DD

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

If and when TWill develops a fairly consistent jumper, he will be a star. He has got all the physical tools

15. DaDakota

Look, I brought the facts, all the rest is just folks general like or dislike for a player....

If and when TWill plays better on defense, I will be just as happy as the next guy, but I am not excited because a guy can run fast or jump high or is really athletic....Stromile Swift could do all of that too.

DD

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dear lord...

17. DaDakota

Yes my son?

;)

DD

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

Budinger, while he may play 'in position' on defense, will get dominated by physical or fast wings. TWill at least gives you a shot to physically matchup. The mental game will come with coaching and reps.

The future of this team is Lowry, TWill, Morris, and Patterson. We are relying on two of those guys to become all stars. Dragic, Budinger, Dalembert, Hill and Lee are all good pieces, but they can't put you over the top.

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You don't think Carmelo is a superstar?...
    Please stop posting.

20. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

LMAO. Carmelo is arguably the best scorer in the game and crashes the board pretty damn well. He can post-up, shoot the midrange J, and shoot pull-up threes. What makes him not a superstar? Not to mention he is pretty damn clutch in the 4th and closes better than Lebron or Wade. The only thing that keeps him below Lebron and Wade is his average athleticism and defense.

How exactly is that guy not a superstar?