1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Royce White's First NBA Basket (UPDATED: Full Royce Highlights)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 15, 2012.

1. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Royce can play PG, just like Magic Johnson did. They are similar in body type and skills, and Magic was not good at defending quick guards anyway.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Bird was a poor one-on-one defender also.

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Ya know I saw Michael Jordan play basketball. Royce White should totally be like Jordan and play basketball...

4. marothisu

marothisu Member

With someone like him, you should already know what position they're best at, or have two in mind. How many decent players can you name that the coaching staff tried them at tons of positions and roles?

Usually the reason for changing someone's position at the next level, if you were a standout, has nothing to do with ability. Eric Crouch, remember him? Yeah it's football, but contrary to popular belief, the reason he was put to WR was because the coaches didn't think he was tall enough to play QB in the NFL.

I would agree for other players, but not every player you have to try them out at 10 different roles and positions to figure it out.

5. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Watching all our rookies (except Jones) performed during preseason reminded me of what McHale said when he heard his rookies wanted to play LeBron, "I keep telling them, ‘LeBron James is really good,’ ’’ McHale said. “It makes me laugh. In a way, you like it that they have confidence. In a way, you want to say, ‘You have no clue..."

LOL@McHale comment. Hope these games served as a rude awakening experience for them. Wonderful for their development!

6. marothisu

marothisu Member

What does that have to do with anything? I live in Chicago. Everyone and their mom has seen Jordan play in person here. It doesn't make them all of a sudden a basketball expert.

7. marothisu

marothisu Member

LOL so true. It takes time for 95% of rookies. Going out and defending or taking a talent like LeBron on 1-1 is wishful thinking, to put it lightly. It's a typical confidence thing, but everyone needs a reality check when they come into a league like the NBA, NFL, MLB, or NHL.

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

... you just put words in my mouth. I didn't say play him at a ton of positions. I said try him out in different ones... like two? You're arguing just to argue at this point.

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I'm mocking you guys for comparing Royce to Magic and Bird... read up.

10. marothisu

marothisu Member

Yeah, I don't compare him to any of those guys, you know.....he has a few small flashes of Magic Johnson for example (amongst a few others), but saying those types of things is not right. Magic Johnson was amazing. Royce White has a lot of work to do before he can be compared to any of those guys. He's more like Anthony Mason anyway.

But the point is that they're comparing to Magic and Bird for their mediocre defensive skills as a way of saying "these guys sucked too, you don't HAVE to have great defense." In my opinion, there aren't a lot of truly great defenders at any level of basketball anyway. There's a large handful maybe.

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The comparison is you can be a great player and have a significant weakness to your game......that is...one weakness.

12. marothisu

marothisu Member

And you are putting words in my mouth too. Tit for tat. Sure, you try him out at a few, and then if he sucks at one, you put him to the one you actually drafted him for and see how he does at the next level.

13. marothisu

marothisu Member

And if he sucks at THAT, then you send him to the D-League because then you know, obviously he's not ready. What did Royce play yesterday, like 20 minutes? And I'd bet about only 6-8 of those were when his teammates were actually passing him the ball once a possession.

14. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Are you comparing Royce to the GOAT PG? You have no idea how great Magic was in his rookie year. If you think 3.8 TOPG was alot in college, wait until he plays PG in NBA.

15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I have yet to comment on something you haven't said yourself. You're just mad that you have no real substance to anything you've posted thus far.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I agree. I wasn't able to watch most of the game (couldn't find a stream that worked), but I've thought that with a guy like Douglas as our backup PG it would be workable to have Royce handling the ball. Douglas can play off the ball about as well as any backup PG, assuming his shooting returns this season.

This would all depend on matchups with opposing teams, of course. But if the opponent has a 3, 4, or 5 who is offensively inept, we could conceivably have Royce matched up against him to hide his his defensive weaknesses.

If the matchups allowed it, having Royce and Jones and/or D-Mo in the game at the same time would be pretty fun to see. Big men who can handle the ball and run the court could give us a good advantage on other teams.

17. marothisu

marothisu Member

Misleading. If you watched most of Iowa State's season, you'd know those stats were inflated. Most of his turnovers came on passes his teammates couldn't handle that were played right in their hands in good position. There's a guy on Iowa State which fans call "Stone Hands" because he can't catch ****, even if it was right at him going slow.

White did have some errant passes and some dribble mishaps, but having watched all of last season, I'd be willing to bet a lot of real money that 75% of those turnovers were on non-errant passes his teammates bobbled or couldn't handle.

18. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I don't think it should be hard to get Royce in the game.

On offense it should be fairly easy to work him into the game plan and IMO when he is in the game plan should be how to use Royce. We don't have any other players outside of maybe Martin that are special enough on O to try and focus on their game on offense. Royce has skills that are worth exploiting on offense. In fact, Royce and Martin working together could be pretty devistating, I think Royce could get Martin open shots or driving lanes all day.

On defense you just match him up with the weakest offensive big out there that doesn't leave somebody like Asik on a small guy and tell him to get every freakin rebound.

Putting Royce in the D-League is just dumb. This guy is far and away the most gifted player we have and he doesn't need the D-league he needs to learn against NBA players. I'm not saying Royce will be a star but I don't see anyone on the current Rockets roster that has a better chance.

Yes he looked lost most of the game last night but who wouldn't in their first NBA game.

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

This thread is why I love/hate Clutchfans

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Still laughing at the Magic/Bird comparison or suggestion... or whatever the hell it should be classified as...