1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Royce White's First NBA Basket (UPDATED: Full Royce Highlights)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 15, 2012.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

You don't need to be double or tripled teamed to make plays for your teammates.

2. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

3. prs325

prs325 Member

I watched the game and White did look lost, but so did the rest of the team especially in the 2nd half. That being said, even though it was his first game and he's behind, White is a basketball player in the purest sense. He may not have a position, but if/when the ball ends up in his hands he knows what to do with it. Defense and outside shooting is where he needs to improve.

And from the little time that he was out there, you can see that the team is slowly starting to trust him which says a lot since he's not a PG. We'll see how this develops.

Hey, i dont mind if McHale throws the rookies into the fire and see what they got. If we end up fighting for a playoff and even end up with 14th pick, this time its a good thing because a combination of Lin, Asik, and the rooks end up having spectacular probably all star years. If we bomb, then - Noel / Wiggins - here we come. Either way its good.

4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Royce should be the 2nd unit PG. Who else could do it? Toney Douglas can't finish or dribble without turn the ball over. Machado can't play defense or shoot. Just have Douglas guard the other team's PG and have Royce guard their PF.

5. Rocket_Man_2.0

Royce White as the back up PG is a no brainer...but it makes too much sense though..so it'll never happen..:confused::rolleyes:

6. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Shuan Livingston is our last hope.

7. prs325

prs325 Member

I would love Royce to be the back-up PG, or even the starter for you can see how he can leave a huge imprint on the team offensively. The problem is defense. Its difficult to have a 6'8", 260 lbs dude chasing 6'0" guards all over the place (just imagine him having to guard Nate Robinson, John Lucas, or the Jameer types). Even if you have KMart, Lamb or even Parsons switch off and have White guard the opposing SG/SF's, thats still a mismatch that a lot of the coaches will try to exploit.

But let me say this, which I may be in the minority - I say screw it and let him play PG and have the other team match up to us. I just wonder how Magic with the Lakers were able to pull this off :confused:

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I hope Rocket's brass doesn't decide he's something he's not. I hated seeing Yao abandon his brilliant rookie passing. He'll make mistakes, but a growing arsenal is worth more than the mistake it takes to realize greatness.

9. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Reminds me of McGrady is terms of ball handling and passing with that size. Unfortunately, that's where the positive similarity ends.

He needs 2-3 years of development before he can do any damage in the league. At present, he's definitely a d-league player as some poster have already stated.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I hate how everyone is thinking of making moves with regards to how it will impact our team make-up this upcoming season. Who cares if playing a guy like White leads to two more losses in the regular season? It seems extremely short-sighted to me for the franchise to be attempting to maximize current performance at the expense of future potential, especially when the ceiling on our current performance is so low. It works in terms of draft positioning next year, and it works in terms of getting a REAL look at our young players with upside.

I understand the rationale behind the D-league. We want a minor league system like baseball. Well, guess what. The NFL doesn't have a minor league, and neither should basketball. It doesn't fit the sport. Name me one superstar who cut his teeth in the D-league. Players feel patronized by it, and being forced to go back and fight among the hungry masses begging for an NBA job is like sending Michael Vick to jail to play jailball for two years. IT DOESN'T HELP. The best you will get when someone has been through that kind of trauma is a Mario Elie-type scrapdog. Bruce Bowen. Rafer Alston. That kinda stuff. Do you REALLY want a babyface like Jeremy Lamb to go down to the D-league and take it like Tim Robbins in Shawshank for a couple months?

This is the NBA. You treat your stars like stars, and eventually they reciprocate in kind once their image improves enough for David Stern to give the OK for them to become all-stars. You can't say we're not invested in Lamb, White, and Jones, because we drafted them all in the first round. We already did this D-league BS with Marcus Morris, Patrick Patterson, and look at them. They're scarred for life. For us to keep sending our assets (yes they can be assets and human beings both!) down to the boonies to learn about the hard life is for us to completely and utterly devalue the worth of our past year's investments.

11. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Thank God we have one rookie that look solid from the start. Terrance Jones.

12. duteman

duteman Member

Man his stats didn't say it tonight but from the clips you can tell this dude is really gifted. I think he's already starter quality player for this team, but would really like him to come off the bench with the 2nd unit. IMO we could be a full throttle team with lin/parsons play making the 1st unit and white handling the biz in the 2nd unit

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Here's the problem. People see this edited clip from 2 plays last night and assume he had a great game. I have a feeling this is going to be T-Will 2.0(from the fans perspective) where they see a couple highlights, but pay zero attention to his play elsewhere during the game, and want McHale's head for not playing him and treating him like a superstar. I hope it doesn't turn out that way, but the signs are there that this is going to happen once again.

-Truth is he looked lost out there last night, and had trouble defending & rebounding even against the Mav's scrubs. He did have some moments that showed he has the potential to be an exciting player, but just like T-Will and Marcus Morris have trouble with in the past as well, he needs to find ways to be affective without the ball in his hands.

The one thing he has going for him is that he's got the size to play on the block, and getting involved in the P&R will help get him involved in the offense more, and defending the post should allow him more opportunities to get rebounds and push the ball up the court in transition.

However, guys like Royce have struggled in recent years with the Rockets so fans need to temper their expectations because the signs are there that this is going to be a long year for Royce, and for his fans who think he should immediately be given the keys to the city.

14. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

White has potentials, he should get a spot.

15. Cycl1

Cycl1 Member

You guys remember when the detroit lions went 4-0 in the preseason?

16. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i think he's an excellent 2nd to Chandler at the 3, he brings a slightly different style, a slightly unconventional small forward that will be a difficult match-up for opposing teams.

and, like Parsons & Jones, a near perfect example of the new player paradigm: no true position in the classic sense, can play point, the 3, PF. When they all get it, this team (like the heat0 will be very interesting/fun to watch. not saying the rockets have talent on the level of Wade/LBJ, but there are similarities in the lineups the rockets could roll out.

17. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

19. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

My favorite part was when he signaled the bench to sub out with 40 seconds left. This guy looks like a bum.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Someone should post the highlight reel for Jae Crowder. Crowder lit Royce White up like a Christmas tree.

The next question should be whether the Vipers travel by bus or not.

1 person likes this.