1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Ron Artest On Sunday Conversation (8.3.08)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by batkins, Aug 4, 2008.

1. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

If I were the Rockets, the first thing I'd tell Artest would be that he should always check with the Rockets first before talking to reporters...so that they could filter it a bit and make sure he doesn't give too many interviews.

He will inevitably have a certain percentage of very stupid statements come out which the media will use to stir up controversy, so it is better to limit the number of interviews he gives.

3. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

Are you serious?

4. HAKEEM4EVER

HAKEEM4EVER Member

My apologize batkins. :) I had been going back and forth reading the other thread with the similiar title that was giving "the heads up". I got confused and went straight to the last page of this thread, and posted what i posted. Thanks for the vid.

5. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I'm confident they will subtly try and rein him in, as soon as he's Rockets property.

Still 10 days away - but counting!!

6. kingmac

kingmac Member

welcome Ron
    欢迎阿泰!

7. Stilldream'n34

I liked it when Ron kept mentioning names of other guys on the team and coach Adelman, while Stephen A. was trying to ask another question. I like the fact he is acknowledging the whole team and not just Yao and Tracy and it also seems like he is getting excited about this roster as he mentions the names.
    Ron Artest will be a great addition and will prove alot of doubters wrong! Not just on the court but off the court as well as he hopes to finally change his image.

The funny thing is, as I was watching team USA the other day I started to think about the baggage some of those players have and it's amazing how they have been able to fix their images.
    Kobe=rape accusation
    Carmelo=drunk driving
    Kidd=domestic violence

Artest gets a bad rap for the brawl which obviously he had a huge part in, but it's not like he was the only player involved and everyone has been able to forgive or at least forget about the others.

This is as good an opportunity as any for Ron to not only win in this league but to repair his image and become a winner off the court

8. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

I love this attitude. I mean somebody has to set the bar for this team and establish a new culture. This guy is perfect for that because hes new to this team and because hes gonna say things like this to the media and eventualy the rest of the team will buy into it and see that thats what the are really capable of.

9. AGBee

AGBee Member

I just want to see a healthy T-Mac, Yao, and Artest hit the court. Enough interviews, the season needs to get here already!

10. clos4life

clos4life Member

Yeap. While Artest is not a saint, I would say his worst mistake was that his crime was committed out in the open where cameras where posted. Had the brawl happened somewhere without cameras it would have been a big deal but nowhere near what it is today.

How can anyone repair their image when in the middle of every interview they show your mistake over and over again with sound and video editing to make you look like an out of control monster?

Anyways, while he may lose his head a couple times this year I really doubt anything serious like the brawl will ever happen for Ron Artest. The man ain't gonna lose any more money if he can help it.

11. kwng

kwng Member

Ron Artest is a very confident man and he looked determined and has all the heart to win it all. Good to see him on board.

12. Th3 Drunk Goat

I still don't think most rockets fans know how great this is going to be with ron artest on our team. Even if (knock on wood) Yao gets hurt i dont see how we can be beaten with Ron and Tracy. Also Tru Warier was right about another roster move, Brent Barry. Rockets in Western Conference finals at the very freakin least with the 1 or 2 seed in the playoffs.

13. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I don't get a good vibe from this interview. At all. The words are right, but forced. The attitude and the body language are all wrong.

Keeping this guy focused, comfortable, and under control is going to be a lot of work. Possibly more work than what he gives us in return.

Coaching staff, it's on you at this point. And leave your cell phones turned on. You're really gonna earn your paychecks.

14. tnopham

tnopham Member

9 out of 10 ordinary guys at a bar would react similarly to how artest did after having a cup of beer thrown on them. are they psychopaths as well? do you think they would feel remorse for going after the person who threw it? i'm not sayin what he did was right. but it was 4 yrs ago. let's move on. he obviously has.

15. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

No more than Rodman with the Bulls- if we get 3 championships out of it, I think we'll all be OK with a little crazy.

16. rockets_fanatic

I love this attitude. Don't worry about the first roundor any of that bull**** opposition fans and the media talk about. We are trying to win a championship.

The only thing that bothers me is this. What if things don't go to plan and Artest, cannot control his frustrations?

17. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Nothing. Literally, nothing. ;)

18. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Anyone and I mean anyone from a child to an old man can react the way Ron did in Detroit. The challenge in life is to NOT. Also, I'm not buying this "ghetto culture" thing. Give me another work environment that's not related to sports where someone can use THAT as an excuse. (rhetorical)

Don't get me wrong, I'm waaaaaay happy about having him on the team as a basketball player (he's going to do wonders for us), but something about his personality rubs me wrong.

19. tofu--

tofu-- Member

To be honest, while I like Ron Artest and hope and think that he's going to be on good behavior and really is here to just win.... yeah, I sort of get that feeling too. Like something is off. Not necessarily in a bad way, just that I'm not quite sure what Artest is really thinking in that there does seem to be other issues that aren't being addressed (i.e. money).

As for the brawl, yeah, Artest reacted poorly, but like some here I can at least understand why he did what he did. I initially thought that he was going to go insane as soon as Ben Wallace gave him that huge shove, but I give him credit for trying to walk away from it. Certainly as a professional Artest should have just let the beer thing go-- just pointing the guy out is enough for the fan to get what was coming to him. But it really seems like Artest has a somewhat short temper and is extremely emotional (as noticed by his tendency to flip-flop as many of the people on the board have pointed out), so I think it was definitely just a huge lapse in judgment. I don't think Artest is really, well, crazy, but he's just a tad immature at times. He's like a well-meaning kid, basically, that throws tantrums or does weird things from time to time. Doesn't make him a bad person, but he does need to be watched for sure.

I still don't like the amount of crap he's getting from most people though, especially considering how Stephen Jackson, Ben Wallace, and Jermaine O'Neal reacted on brawl day too. A lot of guys in the NBA had their thug or bad moments before, obviously not at the same magnitude as the brawl, but were nonetheless questionable. So far Artest has handled those press questions well, but I'm worried that if the wrong question springs up at the wrong time how well Artest can actually take it.

20. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Thanks for all the comments... and the interview was great. It really seems like Artest only cares about winning a championship. So, that reason, plus this being a contract year for him, I doubt he'll be a distraction.