1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Video released of Cleveland cop shooting 12 yr old with airsoft gun

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RV6, Nov 26, 2014.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

And you sound like someone who would excuse any behavior for police officers.

I expect better behavior from the police.

2. No Worries

Don't expect a 12 year old to be mature enough to not exhibit childish behavior.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

He wasn't shot because he was a 12-year old pointing a toy at police officers.

He was shot because officers followed protocol when any individual pulls a threatening weapon. Whether this weapon was a realistic toy that can be bought at walmart, or an unloaded firearm, or if the individual has zero intentions of firing the firearm, it doesn't matter.

Here is another scenario. If a 110lb girl pointed a realistic airsoft gun and demanded your wallet, would you comply or would you fight her off in hopes it was a toy gun?

4. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

that's called robbery. This kid was playing at the park with a toy.

Maybe if the cops didn't go all commando on him by nearly running him over on the grass where cars should not be then the kid wouldn't have been spooked into reacting.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

how does the cops know if the kid was just playing with a toy gun, that's not what the 911 call was.

pointing a gun that is almost indistinguishable with a real gun and random people in the park is no longer "playing" to the police. And drawing that object at the police is definitely not "playing in the park" anymore.

6. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Do you think the cops handled this correctly? yes or No? Do you think they could or should have given the kid space and approached him with more calm?

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

We have the benefit of hindsight.

What if they kept their distance, and the suspect got away and hurt someone? Then we'd be asking why they didn't do more to stop him.

All that said, I do think they handled it poorly. A veteran officer put a rookie officer in a difficult position. I do question not staying further back and using the car as cover to demand the kid's surrender. Was backup not going to be available?

Hopefully this will lead to better training, more non-lethal weapons for officers, and better education related to realistic looking air-powered guns.

I'm tired of hearing a pellet gun being referred to as a toy. I also don't like reading a gun that is called both airsoft and a pellet gun. Airsoft generally refers to the use of plastic BBs, and are really just a safer form of target shooting than traditional BBs, compared to pellet guns which shoot lead or metal alloy pellets and are used to kill small game/pests.

8. SuraGotMadHops

9. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Thank you for your response. I agree with most of your post.

Regarding your question, "What if they kept their distance, and the suspect got away and hurt someone? Then we'd be asking why they didn't do more to stop him."
    this i do not agree with. I would expect one cop would then pursue on foot and the other with the vehicle. You can't just go in shooting because of the possibility that things MIGHT happen IMO. I think we agree though that this was poorly handled. I don't think the police are overt racist nor did i ever suggest it.

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Interesting... a 12 year kid is shot because he was carrying a toy gun in a park... and that's OK. But kids getting suspended for carrying a toy gun in school... well, that's bad, since the school should know its a toy gun, and, well, after all, its just a toy gun.

See, schools shouldn't have zero tolerance policies... and teachers should be able to see its just a toy gun. But the police? They can't be expected to tell if its a toy gun...

#110 NewRoxFan, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

So where do kids with real guns play?

You're assuming a kid would always know it's a real gun.

You're also assuming kids only play with guns and can't actually want to hurt people.

You're also assuming they knew he was a kid.

It's easy to argue the way you do after seeing the facts that were collected after the shooting. What if you were a cop and only knew this guy was playing with a gun like that out in public?

Finally, if you're going to complain about this so much, at least read the link. (Says it is a rec center in the second paragraph.)

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

This was a report of someone pointing a gun around, outside a rec center.

Im no police officer, but it seems like a situation that needs intervention ASAP. There's no ideal or correct protocol to follow, when you don't know the facts beforehand. In this case, I'd say you need to go with the one that offers the least risk to others, instead of waiting and opening the door to getting others involved.

I'm not saying shooting someone immediately is the answer. That wasn't even the reasoning here, if the kid doesn't go for his gun, then he doesn't get shot. Police only reacted to his action. It was unfortunate that the kid didn't react differently and the rookie cop didn't have more time to figure it out, but sometimes you get a bad mix of events like that. I'm guessing the cops are used to suspects.running in that situation, and not looking to engage them (as it appeared), when running is the obvious choice.

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'll get flamed for even comparing, but here goes...

We want someone paid $50,000 per year* to make split-second critical decisions perfectly in every case.

Steph Curry is paid $10,000,000 and makes a split-second turnover 15% of the time.

I'm not excusing incorrect decisions or bad training. There are many ways to improve the situation. Life and death is not equal to basketball, but seriously, think about it for a second, in terms of what we pay and what we expect.

If we want to pay someone handling life and death situations 200 times less than a basketball player who ****s up 15% of the time, we're getting pretty much what we ordered.

I'm sure there are awful, racist cops in the world, but there are a lot of good cops too, doing an incredibly difficult and dangerous job for terrible pay.

* = LAPD starting salary. Probably much less in the midwest.

14. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Good post B-bob.

If nothing else I think having a mandatory, accurate national reporting system for how often these police shootings occur should be a no-brainer. It would provide a lot more context in this debate, and would also provides a mean of tracking progress.

High school teachers are paid more than police officers on average.

#114 DCkid, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Agree that police are underpaid (as are firefighters and school teachers). The big difference between a basketball player and a cop though is that the basketball player's mistake doesn't result in the loss of life.

That said... I don't know if there is a good solution. I suspect that the number of mistakes that lead to the loss of life are few, suggesting the admirable job that police perform. But even the occasional bad decision... or worse, the purposeful violent act... these have to be identified and addressed.

16. No Worries

I suspect that this is exactly what the police department told the boy's parents.
    [/snark]

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Agreed, and Houston is under 40k, i believe.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Definitely a hard situation to make sense of and explain to a grieving parent...no real good answer.

I wonder though, if any situation involving a kid dying can really leave a cop off the hook completely. Let's say this kid was troubled and his intention was suicide by cop. Even if the kid had a point blank shot at the cop's face and the cop shot him in self defense, would most people let it go? Or would many still reason the cop could have defended himself another way because he was "just a kid"?

19. edwardc

edwardc Member

Why do you feel he may face prejury charges please explain.

20. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

If the boy had a gun and wanted to shoot the officer then the officers would still be making a mistake by entering the situation the way they did. What do you not understand about that? In fact the officer might have gotten himself killed too.

Also, as a side note your hypothetical is complete garbage. We deal in realities. The reality is the police killed a 12 y/o boy playing in the park.