1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Video released of Cleveland cop shooting 12 yr old with airsoft gun

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RV6, Nov 26, 2014.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

That would have evened up the fight. They both could have stood their ground and unloaded their weapons on each other, embracing their second second amendment rights until death.

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

If the person who called 911 knew it was fake why did they even call 911? I'm guessing they were not for sure it was fake?

3. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

I mean when I was 12 I played outside with BB Guns all the time. But who the **** doesn't know (he's 12 not 5) to not point a gun at a police agent? That's either bad parenting or I don't know what it is. And this kid is 12, most likely already getting with girls, doing math problems and reading books and watching tv. He is a teenager. Who as a teenager doesn't know its a bad idea to point a gun (because let's face it it looks like a gun) point blank to a cop?
    But I agree that that might be the worse cop approach possible. Seeing a 12 year old they probably didn't expect anything.

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

It just should be mandatory for all toy guns to have the orange tip(and cant be removable). Parents too have inspect the toys their children play with, and if there is any chance a toy can look like a gun...do not buy it. Parents should also explain why the orange tip is necessary on these toys. There was no reason for this child to lose his life, but what is a cop supposed to do when he see's a gun drawn pointed at him or his partner. This falls under tragic accident death. While this may be too extreme, perhaps its time to make laws such that the purchasing of any toy gun has to be by an adult.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Some airsoft guns look real to the point where if you remove the orange tip, it can easily be mistaken for a real gun.

The cop had a trigger finger, but the kid was an idiot.

6. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

I've had an incident where I was walking around with an airsoft gun in my friend's neighborhood and had the cops called on me.

I was 17 at the time and friend and I were walking back to his car to drop the airsoft gun in there. We were at a mutual friend's house but we had to park in front of a neighbor's house bc there were no other spaces available.

The cop came from behind me. Before I saw the cop car, I traded with my friend who was carrying basketball. Next thing I heard tires screeching and someone yelling "DROP THE WEAPON AND GET DOWN ON THE GROUND" with his gun pointed directly at me about 20 Ft away or so. I was scared for my life so I froze and just stood there telling him it was a toy gun. I went to ground after he told me the second time. He searched me on the ground and had the gun still pointed at me. I kept telling him it was a toy gun while he was searching me. He also called for backup. By the time the other cop got there the situation had already cooled off. He told us not to carry the gun around even though it had an orange tip. He actually told us to spray paint the whole gun orange. I was thinking at the time, well can't anyone just spray paint a real gun orange?

Anyways this incident just gave me flashbacks of that time. I know, cool story bro.

1 person likes this.
  7. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Everyone bashing the cop should sign up for the next police academy class. Good luck.

8. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Although reports indicate the orange tip had been removed there is zero evidence it ever had an orange tip. I think calling it an airsoft gun is a bit disingenuous--it was a pellet gun designed to be indistinguishable from a real pistol.

Also, for those asking about the 911 and whether the caller knew it was fake:
    I hope he wasn't pointing the gun at police expecting them to shoot him. It's very sad either way.

9. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

many of those things dont have orange tips. i bought this gamo p23 from academy several years back. it looks like a gun tbh and from 10 feet away you wouldnt think "oh its an airgun."

[​IMG]

10. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

[​IMG]

I have one of these and i remember taking a marker and color over the orange tip to see what it looks like and when i saw it look like a real gun thats when i said "Theres no way im walking out with the gun like this". Wiped the marker off and said im leaving it like this.

11. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Lol. This happened in an open carry state. These cops should storm an open carry rally in the same manner. Drive up close and start firing. Smdh.

12. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

do open carry laws allow you to point and aim your guns at strangers and police officers? seems to be what everyone that parrots those sentiments about it being an open carry state are trying to imply..

13. No Worries

Isn't that the point?

14. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

I don't think the orange tip would have mattered because:

1. The gun was tucked in his waist so you couldn't see the tip anyways.
    2. You could just as easily put an orange tip on a real gun.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Probably would have made a big difference the way the caller described the gun.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Actually, if you consider how it could have turned out, cool life bro.

Cool life.

17. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

Ridiculous, cops pulled up and shot him 2 seconds after exiting the car. Needs to be indicted for murder.

18. No Worries

Won't happen. See Ferguson.

In both of these cases, the police will be facing huge civil law suits. The Ferguson police officer may also end up facing perjury charges for lying to the grand jury.

#58 No Worries, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  19. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

whatever happened to stand off/ police negotiations why didn't they section off the area. they are shooting in a public place how dangerous is that. i know cops go though some serious things, but they should look at each situation without too much bias of previous ones.

20. Sajan

Sajan Member

the only thing i dont get it is..why they pulled up so close to the kid, and then so quickly shot him.

how about you pull up a little farther back, use the bullhorn thing and ask the kid to put the gun down and then arrest him.

what was the thought process behind "let's do a drive up and eliminate" strategy.

1 person likes this.