1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Patrick Patterson's NBDL Debut with Vipers

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by Clutch, Nov 19, 2010.

1. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

beginning to notice that Morey tends to do that a lot

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

None of those guys, except etc., is doing anything right now that would make me think they are going to be better than Patterson.

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Classic doom thread!

Things he did well in that footage:

(i) initiate several moves in the post and get a shot off (all missed)
    (ii) set a screen, then cut hard to the offensive glass to get the rebound
    (iii) run the floor hard to beat the defence back and score the easy dunk
    (iv) spread the offense with outside shooting
    (v) hit free throws
    (vi) present himself as a cutter for an easy layup.

That's just from the offensive plays involving him video.

If you can't pickup from that footage that he is (a) mobile; (b) can shoot and (c) has basketball IQ in the way he moves in the halfcourt offence then you need to go watch it again.

If he makes 2 of those post moves that he missed then everyone is raving about how wonderful he is. And yes, he looked rushed - to be expected in your first game ina while.

Looked fine to me - no reason to think he's going to be a bust based on that footage.

4. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

lol do you really think that a guy who is putting up a per 36 minutes line of 37% on FGs, 30% on 3's, and 11 ppg, another guy WHO HASN'T EVEN PLAYED IN AN NBA GAME YET, and a guy whose only NBA skills are his shotblocking and rebounding who averages a per 36 minutes line of 0.7 blocks, 8 rebounds, and 4 ppg, is already definitively better than Patterson?

5. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Well he didn't say "right now", he said "better careers" and at this point is very arbitrary, but I do believe all those players have better physical tools(from skill level to athleticism) than Patrick, who from what I've seen is an avg. athlete with a weird form on both his jumpshot and jumphook and not much of a rebounder..

With all that said I still believe he can be a solid role player, I don't think he was a bad pick for 14...

Right now, NO, but career wise(which is what you asked) I BELIEVE that any of those guys have better overall talent to have better careers than Patterson...

--RB

6. Voice of Reason

I thought Meeks was better in 2009, but that's my opinion.

7. herro

herro Member

Who cares?

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Pat needs to find something he's good at and concentrate on becoming the best at it.

If he wants to shoot 3's he needs to shoot a million of them before the year is over.

If he wants to attack a defender off the dribble he needs to dribble the ball until he can't feel his hands.

If he wants to post up he needs to watch as much Dream as possible and practice every day.

He needs to figure out what kind of player he wants to be. I think he could develop into a Ron Artest type SF.

9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

If anyone remembers I am the guy who wanted Larry Sanders over Patterson.

I still think Sanders will likely be the better pro but Pat has shown moments that have impressed me. I think it is difficult to give any real kind of evaluation of the kid based on preseason and one video of a viper game. But again I am more impressed with him then before and my gut says he will solid contributor to the Rockets for a long time. The problem is he is behind Scola and Hayes. His minutes will be hard to come by this year. Albeit an injury we may see a lot more damning Morey for the pick but I am more impressed with him than most of the guys ahead of him. And I can see why Morey liked him.

Still I would have taken Sanders.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wish we had Paul George...

11. PeppermintCandy

It's only his first game in a very long while. He'll probably look better in a month or so.

That said, I don't know if it's a good idea to keep him in the D-league for an entire season. Patterson strikes me as being good at adjusting his game to the players around him. It's why he was able to transform himself from the go-to guy to a role player during college.

But this is why it may be better to keep him around NBA players, and give him brief stints in the D-league. Let him adjust to a higher level of play rather than get overly comfortable with a lower one.

12. Roxs-Redemption

Glad he is developing now..we need him sometime later :)