1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Patrick Patterson's career night vs. Pistons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 22, 2011.

1. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

He's on the right track, but he's not even in the same neighborhood as Antonio McDyess. He was an absolute animal in the late 90's with Denver.

With increased PT he'll approach Millsap and eventually surpass him, but he still has work to do in order to put up pre-injury McDyess #s: 20 PPG, 11 RPG, and 2 BPG.

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Milsap scored 46 points in a game this year. I think it's a bit premature to say Pat is already at that level.

3. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

I don't see any aspect of his game that's worse than early McDyess. Plays strong, above the rim, great 18ft jumper, leaping defender/rebounder. The only aspect that may be worse is inside moves, he still gets his shot blocked too easily but he can easily improve on that.

4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

You don't compare Patterson to pre-injury McDyess. That's just insulting. McDyess was dominant on the block and on the PnR. His athleticism wasn't just good, it was elite.

Patterson isn't going to be a star. That's never been his game, even at Kentucky. He doesn't have a go to move. He's always been happy to take the good shot. That's why he doesn't make mistakes.

5. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

He has quick feet, good footwork, a motor that wont quit and whole bunch of other skills. The rookie is starting to shine(he better he's lottery and this ain't 1985). But on top of all that he's a professional and you can tell that he's not one too act entitled.

6. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

I like what he said afterwards:
    "We went to the pick-and-roll down the stretch, and I was just going hard to the basket every time," Patterson said. "My teammates kept giving me the ball -- probably more than they should have -- and I just tried to finish strong."

First he made the right choice of rolling hard on the PnR and second, the fact that he said "probably more than they should have" is a good sign that he thinks of his role in terms of the best shot for the offense. Clearly he's got a high bball iq and seems like a hard worker.

7. syn

syn Member

I like this. :grin:

8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I actually don't like that quote as much as you do. I'd rather a player exude confidence, but he could have just been being humble.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think he was being humble. Pat didn't play like a guy having trouble with his confidence. In fact, his confidence seemed to soar the longer he was on the floor, when he figured out Coach was letting him play.

10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Yeah, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. I really like the kid and I want him to be more assertive offensively.. which is why I'd rather not read the "more than they should have" part. But he's a good kid, so I understand if he was just downplaying things.

Hopefully this game was a launching point for him.

11. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Actually, I disagree. His sophomore year he was the name. He and Jodie were the stars of that team. He was able to adjust his game when Wall and Cousins came in and took the spotlight... but that doesn't mean he can't be a "star".

Will he be an allstar? Not necessarily, the stars would have to align (much like with David West) but he will likely be a similar player to David Lee if he can increase his rebounding.

12. delta69er

delta69er Member

A definite keeper yet he could be blocking us in a trade right now if a team wants him as part of a deal and Morey doesn't want to trade him...

13. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Dang, the move at 1:12 was sweet.

14. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

Except maybe Landry Fields. He's the only player drafted after Patterson that has really outperformed him.

15. Relentless

Relentless Member

Can we get a Budinger video? I've been in class all night

16. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

i felt the exact same way. :grin: i immediately felt relieved just watching the beginning.