1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Patrick Patterson & Terrence Williams Highlights Vs Magic (1.7.11)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by batkins, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Happii

Happii Member

Fixed

1 person likes this.
  2. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

I totally agree with what you said here too.

Yeah, he tends to get a tunnel vision, but unlike JT, who shot first, chuck 2nd , desparate chuck 3rd, and then pass 4th, Terrance has really good passing skills and vision when he decides to pass it.

I think he needs time to develop some chemistry with our guys (especially for mainly spot shooters like Chase and slashers like Lee) and mature a bit before he can really make an impact.

Otherwise, he really does add a dimension of possessing Dwayne Wade-like abilities to go to the hole and finish and/or draw fouls. He just needs to know to pass it out more or atleast pass it around more to flatten out the defense. Because the one thing I've noticed is that even though he isn't necessarily selfish , he tends to hold on to the ball to himself the first time he touches it and often just looks to take some midrange shots when he could atleast use his size, strength and athleticism to attack the basket.

3. gah

gah Member

Another impressive game by Patterson; is like he has been showcasing his repertoire in these few opportunities. Last night it was his range, which by the way seems to be better than Landry’s and equaling its high percentage too.

Are you playing the Chuck Norris game?

He does, and occasionally. He must be working to improve on that at the moment; I guess this and the ability to be a good shot maker are what could prevent him from becoming an All Star.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Dwyane was a piss-poor HORRIBLE shooter when he came into the league. So was LeBron. So was Kobe.

They all are considered decent, if not good jump shooter now. Hopefully Terrence follows the same path.

5. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Williams is too dribble happy for me. But I can definately see that he is trying to spot the shooters, althought there is a few times that I thought he should just make the pass to the picks or keep it simple then drove in and try the jumper.

6. gah

gah Member

That’s a good pointer. But I’m not referring to long-range shots only; last night he missed a couple of shot near the basket that those All-world guys you mentioned can make with their eyes closed; if he gets near that level by improving his shot selection and his shot-making ability then he easily becomes one of the best all around players.

7. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

Well aren't you Mr. Negativity. The fallacy in your argument is that their strengths do outweigh their weaknesses, the problem that many of the players on the team have the same or similar weakness.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Thanks Batkins.

PPat looked great, Twill had flashes, but looked at times like an out of control chucker.

DD

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

My impression of these two guys so far:

Patterson is a real deal. He is like Karl Malone with a nice personality. (I know nobody on this board would even entertain the thought of comparing a Rocket to that human scum. For the record, he and Pippen are the two players I absolutely despise. But I have to say they are great players.) His jumpers are very smooth. He is a good rebounder. He is fundamentally sound. He seldom make mental mistakes, which is great for a rookie. His knock is that he defers too much. We'll see.

Williams is a contradiction. He has nice handle that is PG-worthy. He has great court vision. BUT he is not a good decision maker. I don't know if that can be corrected. He reminds me of another Williams: Jason the White Chocolate--great passer, great handle, lots of dumb decisions on court. The interesting thing is, Adelman gave up on Jason Williams because he couldn't stand Jason's erratic performance. And Jason eventually settled down as a more mature PG under Hubie Brown in Memphis.

10. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

Patterson was okay and Twill was playing in first gear. He looked way to timid out there I understand hes new and learning, but his defense was pretty awful to me last night. He would force his man to help side with little pressure on the ball. Just bc you have help doesnt mean you play a soft zone coverage like the texans.

11. bpbkforlife

bpbkforlife Member

T-Will gonna be alright, he just need to settle down and play his game!

12. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

It took Dwayne Wade 1.5 years of being the guy and O'Neal to distract offenses to start playing D-Wade's style of basketball. IF IT HAPPENS, it will take time.

People need to finally realize that is most likely a lost season, playoffs are not as important as giving these minutes and letting them develop, which means allowing them to make mistakes, work through lulls, and fail at times.

13. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

i guess i kind of did sound like i was, but really its mostly the frustration of losing the last 4 games and getting further away from the 8th spot.

i remember i complained about utah losing 2 games to the blazers and how it wasnt helping us, and someone else said its good cos it just means that we'll have an easier time getting to 6th spot. lol yeah right.

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Hopefully that improves with time. I'm certainly not expecting him to be the next LeBron James, but if he can reach his potential, being at least one all-star appearance; that'll satisfy me.

15. alethios

alethios Member

This will only improve with time unless of course, he's showcased and packaged in a trade deal (never heard that on CF before ;) )

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Cool. Patterson showed a nice stroke there, but I hope he develops into something more than a guy who sets screens and shoots midrange jumpers. I'd like him to be more aggressive attacking the basket and going after offensive rebounds. He showed that his first couple games, but lately he looks to be floating more around the perimeter.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Me too. Fortunately,he is coachable. Only time well tell,whether he will turn out to be an all round PF.

18. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Patterson's jumper has really improved. He used to lean too much forward and use too much upper body during his shot, now he goes straight up and down.

Love the guy.

19. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Thanks for the highlights.

Patterson continued to shine and clearly has a nice combination of talent, work ethic and heart.

Twill should continue to get used to the system and continue to develop his jumper in practice, but since he is a natural play-maker he should always defer to his strengths in games until he develops a very consistent jumper: attack the basket and create your own shot/draw contact fouls or draw defenders and assist to the open man (if you have wide open look of course take it, but otherwise..), Rebound, and be a shut down/very disruptive defender.

Really I think since he rebounds so well, I would like to see more of him at SF.

But if he is dead set on wanting to play PG I think he should take advantage of his size and strength on other PGs and develop a post game. He would probably be one of the biggest and strongest point guards in the game. (not to mention a wingspan advantage, they couldn't block his shot)

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That was the knock on him coming out of college, that he had fallen in love with the jumper and it was why the Rox sent him to the D-league to work on getting tougher inside.

DD