1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Omri Casspi vs. France -- 14 pts, 3 reb, 2 ast, 2 TO

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Sep 11, 2013.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Was watching tape of France vs. Israel and figured I might compile some Casspi action for those not very familiar with Casspi's game and/or not into the EuroBasket.

Video includes both good and bad plays. I removed the audio and replaced it with some random instrumental, since the color commentary was Russian (I think). The second made basket you see came ~0.5 seconds after the shot clock had expired.
    Casspi was primarily matched up with Nic Batum, Gelabale and Boris Diaw.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QyVSJEhpsKE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He obviously wouldn't be asked to do (as) much ball-handling on this team and play more off the ball instead, though being able to create for yourself or others off the dribble of course is very much valuable when defenses close out hard and run you off the 3-point line.
    I think he's a (slight) upgrade over James Anderson in that regard.

Defensively Casspi was pretty lazy for the most part, calling for switches instead of fighting over screens. Lots of standing or walking around with his hands on his hip/arms idle when off the ball on defense. Didn't put a whole lot of effort in getting through off-ball screens or closing out either.
    If he wants to make the team and be in the rotation his defensive effort will have to be much more consistent and better than it was in this game.

Feel free to merge with the EuroBasket thread, of course. Just not a lot going on in the GARM this time of year.

#1 HMMMHMM, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    2 people like this.
  2. PeacePeace

PeacePeace Member

lol @ missing a layup at the end.

DO NOT WANT.

3. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Thanks HMMMMM, I fell asleep watching this game so thanks for giving me the recap

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i foresee this guy causing us a lot headaches....not so sure the occasional solid plays will be able to make up for his otherwise mistake-prone play. with his weakmindedness, can also see him enduring extended shooting slumps throughout the season.

5. senter

senter Member

[​IMG]

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

like his catch and shoot, and willingness to run out on the break

Don't like anything related to self shot creation, he doesn't have the ability o creates unnecessarily difficult shots (although i assume that has to do with playing with Israel where there's not exactly a James Harden around him)

7. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

That Charles Kahudi guy has some jets and some ups. Impressive.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

I fell asleep watching the highlights.

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He needs to play a lot better than that in camp. Otherwise, he won't get many minutes in the season.

10. WAYFARER713

WAYFARER713 Member

That wasn't impressive at all...

11. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

He will be traded to 76ers

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He's obviously the TMac of Israel.

[​IMG]

Not very impressive.

13. c1utchmatic

c1utchmatic Member

lol @ the techno inception music

14. Oracle

Oracle Member

There are some things to notice here. In this game Casspi made all of his free throws! Casspi knows how to steal and rebound. I liked the one shot that he made with his left hand, but I like his one footed shots a bit less. If they fall, who cares. He can shoot from the 3pt range, but he was not sharp in this contest. The one thing that Casspi has to change is his lay-ups. He has to finish with a dunk because his lay-ups are not reliable. He may be able to improve his assist stats in Houston.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Watched most of their games in this tournament. Casspi has been complete trash and is hurting his team, looks totally out of place and commits stupid fouls and turnovers all the time. Seems to have a really low ball-iq and makes boneheaded plays. Him and Hedo are two of the worst players at this year's EuroBasket.

16. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

Yeah...this video was not very encouraging...

17. MazelTov

MazelTov Member

Well, as you can probably see Casspi wasn't good in this tournament, as a matter of fact the Israeli national basketball team was better when he was sitting on the bench.
    It seemed like people were expecting Casspi to be the unofficial leader of the national team, but it just wasn't a suitable role for him, unfortunately Casspi is not a leader, and he probably doesn't feel very comfortable with people expecting him to lead a team, he has a mentality of a player who comes off the bench and do drudgery for the team, I assume he can't face the spotlights on him because on one hand he can succeed and gain affection, but on the other hand he can fail and get criticised and accusations, I guess it's not for him.

Casspi's shot was inconsistent in this tournament, generally also in the NBA Casspi is not a consistent player, one day he can score 20 points and on the other day he may have only 5 points (basing it on his tenure with the Kings).
    But it doesn't really matter, because Casspi is coming off the bench, and he isn't expected to score 20 points each night, but to contribute his fair share, I think he's apt to do it, that's who he is a legitimate bench player, he comes off the bench with tons of willingness and enthusiasm.

He won't be dribbling that much in Houston of course and won't force himself to create shots because it just wouldn't work, he needs players to create a suitable shot for him, that's when he will be able to light up and convert his shots.

18. hbomb

hbomb Member

That missed lay-up... :S

19. bongman

bongman Member

That looked like a Dirk move on his second shot.

20. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

We're going to need Casspi to step it up w/ the Rockets after Garcia got injured. They both play the same game: Spot up shooters who can't create their own shots.
    But Garcia is a much better defender.