1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Video of Omri Casspi working out in Boston's Harvard University (Home of Jeremy Lin)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ETALKSHOOPS, Aug 26, 2013.

1. basketballholic

Ugh.

If I was a defender, I would not fall for a single shot fake from him. No matter where the dude catches the ball, he always brings it down to his waist and coils before he rises and releases. That's a lot of wasted motion. I'd be doing the Chuck Hayes swipe down low every time he brought that ball down.

It's going to be interesting to see how he turns out this season. But I will say this...I would bet you a dollar to donuts that he's 40% on wide-open shots but on shots where he has to rush to get it off with the defense flying at him...I'd bet he's around 15%. That coil and release is too slow guys. He really needs to work on eliminating the waste in it and improving the quickness of his release.

2. Fighton

Fighton Member

shoots like jimmy from hoosiers.

3. ETALKSHOOPS

ETALKSHOOPS Member

4. ETALKSHOOPS

ETALKSHOOPS Member

HaHa no he dosn't man. Thats a stretch:grin:

5. ETALKSHOOPS

ETALKSHOOPS Member

Teams will try to run him off the line he has the ability to put the ball on the floor.

6. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

He looks like D-Mo circa 2012 in terms of muscle.

7. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

I hope someone gets to him real quick and suggests that he stop dropping the ball before shooting...it may be okay in streetball but that extra 0.4 seconds could be the difference in a playoff game winning shot.

Do you guys notice that?

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Cambridge's Harvard University.

9. NotChandlerParsons

Thanks for pointing out his release guys, now it's going to bug me constantly this season.

10. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Why is he practicing long 2 pointers? Shoot 3's or gtfo.

11. The Jabberwock

Yes, you're right. He's always had this low, funny looking release...

I'm not sure it's something he can get rid off easily (or st all), though. Not without losing his auto-motion and rythm.
    A pure shooter doesn't think when he shoots...

Omri DOES release much faster now then he did in his
    early years (pre-NBA), and usually with great percentage too,
    but I can see your point, and we DO have a problem there... :(
    (Houston, we have a problem... :))

Let's see how it unfolds...

12. PrawnJ

PrawnJ Member

2 Things struck me:

1. Notice that when he did the crossover dribble - behind the back - layup drill, he is always looking down at the floor/ball. Don't think he can hit the wide open player when he penetrates into the defense, something Harden/Lin does really well and is a staple of the Rocket's offense.

2. Odd looking form but really good shot. Reminds me of Kevin Martin :)

13. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

I really hope that this is video of slow days for training, because if that's his usual level of intensity then I don't think he has the stamina to last on an NBA court.

14. The Jabberwock

I liked the tennis ball drill.

15. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

As obvious as that statement is, it's exactly what I was going to say. Kevin Martin used to dupe player into fouling him with a funky low pull up, but Casspi ain't Martin.

16. luhbron

luhbron Member

you're gay

17. thajoker101

thajoker101 Member

That was a nice vid he couldn't miss, but you can't compare him to chandler parsons.

18. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

Yeah his whole balance looks off

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

From the video alone, i'd say he needs a new coach.

Very little intensity. From actual running to the way the drills are set up, Omri looks like he's on auto pilot the whole way through. Hopefully, that's a very light work out for him. I would be really disappointed to know he's constantly working out against a point guard-sized defender, who always gives him a ton of space.

I can see how people would be impressed with him dribbling on grass. The reasoning is it's harder, so it should only help you, right? But it's also different. You should be adapting to how the ball comes off the court, not grass. Train specifically in the environment you'll be in. There are other ways to increase the difficulty of dribbling , while on the court.

20. ETALKSHOOPS

ETALKSHOOPS Member

The goal was the amount of shots and where they would come from not to turn him into Paul Geroge. You inhance strenghts at this point on this level not to change a players game.