1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Nick Johnson's nasty tip slam over Ramon Sessions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 11, 2014.

1. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

There has been 3 or 4 fast breaks we're he has started to take off about a step in from the free throw line only to be fouled or not finish. I can't wait to see him finish one of those.

2. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

Rudy Gay's expression is funny.... Like " Damn, he can get it" lololol

3. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure Kostas was thinking "why is Dwight pushing me so hard?" He doesn't understand our American customs lol.

4. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Yeah that was strange. The final run really started when we went with the fresh small lineup that included 4 guards (Daniels, Johnson, terry, harden)

5. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

His daddy kinda foine. [​IMG]

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

d*mn LOL

Rocket River

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

LOL!!! that is fantastic!

8. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

From Wiki:
    "The Nail"

While [Gus] Johnson (no relation to Dennis/Joey/Nick Johnson) was at Idaho in 1962–63, he earned a reputation as a leaper of the highest order. On one evening at the "Corner Club", a tavern on north Main Street in Moscow (Idaho), Johnson was challenged by its owner, Herm Goetz (1925–93), to demonstrate his outstanding jumping ability to the assembled patrons. The "Corner Club" was a modest establishment with minimal furnishings, converted to a bar in 1948 from a small white stucco chapel with hardwood floors and substantial beams on its ceiling. From a standing start near the front bar, Johnson leapt to touch a spot on a beam 11 ft 6 in (3.51 m) above the floor level. The spot on the beam was marked with a ceremonial nail by Goetz, who next proclaimed that anyone who could duplicate that leap could drink for free, something that he knew was highly improbable. A 40-inch (1 m) diameter circle was painted on the floor below that beam, and any potential duplicator of the leap had to have both feet on the floor, within this circle, to ensure a standing start. Twenty-three years elapsed, with a considerable number attempts to touch Gus Johnson's Nail, including some by the 6 ft 11 in (2.11 m) UCLA All-American Bill Walton during the summer of 1984. But not even Walton, then a pro at age 31, could touch that high up ("...too much pizza and beer tonight..").

That was until late January 1986, when the team bus of College of Southern Idaho, a junior college in Twin Falls, stopped in Moscow, en route to a game against North Idaho College in Coeur d'Alene. Joey Johnson (Nick's Dad), the younger brother of the NBA star Dennis Johnson, was brought into the closed bar by his coaches for a try, before opening time. The 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m) guard had already recorded a remarkable 48-inch (1.22 m) vertical leap during basketball practice.

Joey Johnson laced up his game shoes and touched "The Nail" on his first try, but this attempt was disqualified because he did not start with both feet inside the given circle. His next attempt came from a legal static start, but was slightly short. On his third try, Johnson leaped, grabbed, and bent the legendary nail, a landmark event in local sports history. Mr. Goetz next pulled "The Nail" out of its beam, and he pounded it back in, a half inch (1 cm) higher.

A 1985 graduate of Banning High School in Los Angeles, Joey Johnson led CSI to the national junior college title in 1987 and also won the national JC title in the high jump twice. He transferred to Arizona State, where his vertical leap grew to 52 inches (1.32 m) and he was known as "Jumpin' Joey."

Here is a pic of Joey Johnson posted by Nick on his Instagram for Father's day:
    [​IMG]

Notice how high he is. He's eye-level with the rim. My eyes are 5 inches +/- below the top of my head. Joey Johnson is 6'3". So by my estimation, he's got a 50" vertical in this photo. This lines up with more legends of Jumpin' Joey that he'd put his chin to the rim or dunk with a baseball cap and flip it off from the bill.

Nick recorded a 47" running vertical at Arizona, which detractors have scoffed at calling it some home cooking since it was his school. Were it anyone else, I'd consider the alma mater embellishment. But Nick is legit. Matt Bullard said last night that "It almost looks unnatural how he can get up like that." And it does. Looks like sorcery or something out of those Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon movies.

We saw this put-back last night and we saw a great athletic block against Golden State. I'm stoked to have this youngblood on the team. I think once he settles down he's going to start regularly finishing his athletic leaps to the basket.

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Johnson had a 41.5 inch max vert at the combine - which is incredibly huge. Not many guys clear 40.
    Fun fact Isaiah Canaan has a 40.5 inch max vert

10. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Canaan always be laying it up too, hes gotta dunk that ish!

11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Yeah I think a lot of people was awaiting a nice monster dunk for NJ.

12. scottie brooks

How's it taste M**** ******?!

13. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Oh, that's the best. When your own teammate can't contain himself. :eek:

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What made me LOL was when they replayed it later on TNT, one of the guys (I think Shaq) said "Oh oh" when Nick was hanging right above Sessions.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Nick the Pogo Stick.

16. Code Red

Code Red Member

Yes mom and Blake Griffin is also white. Skip Bayless- "I have pride in Blake Griffin because his mother is white." Silly white people smh. I am jk. :)

17. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Dwight had me dying

[​IMG]

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hahaha, rudy the 1 day rocket

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

For some reason that's not legit. Canaan very is false. He has maybe a 31 inch vert.

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Idris Elba got the hops!