1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Luis Scola’s 20 Points Vs Team USA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by batkins, Aug 31, 2007.

1. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Scola is cute says...
    [​IMG]

2. Rocket 914

Rocket 914 Member

With his intelligence and good fundamentals, Scola could complement Yao the way Divac did with Webber... He also seems to be very intense and hustles for the ball aggressively

3. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Duncan , KG and Dirk are bonafide superstars. marion, bosh, boozer and brand are allstars. i'm not saying scola is even borderline allstar, i'm saying he is borderline star. like nene or a david west. i think he can be up there with a different game also.

4. jcage

jcage Member

Ok, did you just read what you wrote? I think what everyone here is so pumped about is that he will do what we need him to do. I don't think anybody expects him to carry the team, but just not be an offensive liability while not getting torched on D. I think he showed he can do that. ;) ;) ;)

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

OK, makes sense. I still don't think he will even be a borderline star. Nene and David West aren't borderline stars. IMO, Scola looks to be a superb role player who will fill an important niche on our team.

Maybe it's all semantics. I'm just as excited about him as anyone else. Getting Scola is almost more exciting than having a first round draft choice. This season, his impact will be greater than AB's.

6. snorkeljim

snorkeljim Member

:confused: :confused: :confused: WTF...Name me a 3mil/year PF in the NBA or any other BB leagues that "Doing the Things that Duncan does....to Control a Game"

7. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

With a team like Rox where we have a "superstar" in Tmac and Yao, complement players are needed, and with both battier and scola in that niche, lets hope AB can fill the the PG and the starting line-up for the next few seasons will be set up.

8. blender

blender Member

Here's the ever-popular Charlie Rosen of FoxSports and his view on Scola's performance during the FIBA finals. Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but thought it related to the discussion here.

9. Jd1

Jd1 Member

why bother with this fool?

10. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

I thought at best, Dwight Horward and Amare Stoudemire looked marginal compared to Scola.

11. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Classic Rosen. He says that Scola will be a marginal player because he didn't beat the double teams thrown at him. :confused: :confused: :confused:

So he makes the right basketball play, stays within the Argentine team concept, and you criticize him for it? Man, my respect for Rosen drops every day. (and that's hard to do)

It's unlikely that Scola will be a spectacular one-on-one defender - it doesn't look like he has the tools. But we haven't seen any evidence either way - the U.S. wasn't playing a post game, so they certainly didn't test him.

What I see is a big guy who is plenty mobile enough to play solid defense in a good scheme. He's not a shot-blocker, but he's smart and should be able to make up for some of his weaknesses with effort and brains.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Rosen hasn't heard of a guy named Yao Ming. :rolleyes: Scola will get single coverage with Yao around which will make it easier for him to score.

13. misandao

misandao Member

What I could say is, after watching Scola's performance in these games, the future of the Rockets looks brighter and brighter.

14. Jd1

Jd1 Member

It's a shame that sports writers like C Rosen can write craps like this day in and day out without and consequences. Why didn't FoxSports fired him?

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I think he could actually become an all-star in the league at some point in time, especially if he ends up in the East, probably unlikely in the West. Too many PFs already....but I think he has better all-round game than both nene and david west.

Even though in he's not yet in league with the all star pfs, like Boozer, Brand, and Bosh, it might be safe to say he is better shooter and maybe better at certain intangibles than all of the above.

16. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

1. When has Rosen ever said anything good about the Rockets.

2. When will Scola ever get doubled, being on a team with the likes T-Mac, Yao, Francis, and Wells. It's almost going to be unlikely and every now and then. but never for whole game or even a stretch of play.

3. Didn't he pretty much outplay the USA big men in every faucet of the game....and who were the USA big men...Amare and DHoward...as many in the media say...these are pretty much the two best centers in the league...as the media would say. And he pretty much made look like non-factors...who cares if Scola struggled facing double team....those other two couldn't handle constant double team if their life depended on it. For one, most teams aren't gonna double anyone with Phoenix unless it's Steve Nash...another thing is why would anyone waste an extra man...on him in a half court set or in the post. On the other hand, DHoward is not really a great offensive player to start with. Amare is an average to below average defender and does not command the post very well, while DHoward is good defender. He is not as great as some writers make him out to be.

17. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I'm very impressed 1st with Morey for making a steal from the Hated San Antonio Girls and Scola for balling against NBA superstars. We're going to murder the SW conf this year.

18. Fuse

Fuse Member

the one thing I did learn about Amare is that he is extremely poor playing against a zone. Maybe that might be the solution to playing against the suns. Let them shoot under some pressure, but crowd out the middle so they can't drive and dish or cut into the lane that easily

19. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

I'll be happy if we can keep up with them

20. Fuse

Fuse Member

I think our depth this year will allow us to keep up.