1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Luis Scola’s 20 Points Vs Team USA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by batkins, Aug 31, 2007.

1. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

yeh yeh yeh, but i dont think there is anything wrong with people talking good things about scola AFTER he performed well.

he's like the anti-stromile swift in regards to mental faculties. gotta love that.

2. osna

osna Member

to work for Houston like that!

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i hope he does well but lets relax.

you know who else did well against the US...

4. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Am I the only one here that saw that highlight reel for what it was? Most of his points were just layups on the break, a couple of open 18-20 ft. jumpers, and the balance was a bit of an out of control drive and he happened to get his own rebound and put back, and one drive down the lane for a finger roll...

It wasn't THAT impressive. It was all stuff he should have made.

Not to be the naysayer.....I like his game. But he didn't do anything out of the ordinary for me to say, "WOW!"

He's solid. That's about it. I think the good news is that he will hit the ground running, and he will learn the NBA game quickly and can produce almost immediately. But I doubt he'll be any better than a 10 and 6 guy....and maybe that's what we need him to be.

5. Daw204

Daw204 Member

Who? Esteban Batista?

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Real question:
    Was you-know-who that good against the US?

7. Fuse

Fuse Member

To me, to me, it was pretty impressive the way he put himself in the position to score. Just because he made it look easy doesn't mean it actually was.

8. Fuse

Fuse Member

But scola pretty much did well against all other teams over a span of years.

9. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

that good compared to what?

i know what you mean. I think he will do well and his skillset can/should help the rockets...then again any somewhat athletic 6'9ish guy who has good ball skills would help. Or like you said "solid" b/c a more athletic and solid PF is an improvement on this team. I love his passion and effort. I love his jumper and his passing. I'm a bit worried about his rebounding but i think he will effort his way enough to do adequate there. His defense im a bit worried about but as long as he's plays the right position game, that will be all you can ask for. But you are right, i wouldnt expect "impressive" numbers from him however that doesnt mean he wont help.

i've been caught up in the hype before so im being more reserved this year ;)

10. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

no, you're right. He's been playing well. I'm just being a bit cautious about getting too excited. Between stromile 2 years ago and vspan last year...i cant take any more disappointment. :(

11. Fuse

Fuse Member

I'm not saying that his success in the international scene will translate to the NBA, I'm just saying that the circumstances with Scola are much different to that of Vspan/Stromile. Even if we do fail in this experiment, at least it was a much more calculated move and was a risk well worth taking.

12. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

can he dunk?

13. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

well there wasnt much risk, so yeah, thats a good thing. And the circumstances are different. Stromile was wishful thinking and vspan was a panic move after failing to get james.

its well worth the experiment but like i said...im still trying to not get too excited and let things play out. (but i admit im a little excited) :)

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I hope he can teach Yao how to catch and shoot better. Or catch and lay-up. Yao has been too many years under the tutilege of the aircraft carrier Mutombo, drawing three-second violations just trying to set up his lay-ups.

15. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

i do love the idea of scola at the high post and yao on the block.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly, he plays like Chuck Hayes, but has WAY more skills.

And he got himself into those good positions being the focal point of the Argentinian team.

Imagine how successful he will be when teams are concentrating on Yao and Tmac and Francis and James and Battier....Scola will thrive !

DD

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Yao has gotten better at it though....and is still improving.

18. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Team USA's defense sucks compared to "any old team."

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He dunks when he needs too.

20. Fuse

Fuse Member

That spin move on Splitter was impressive.