1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Las Vegas Police high speed chase and shootout (body cam)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Svpernaut, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just watched the video over again, I thought that the shots through the window scared them and caused them to pull to the side the first time I watched it. Upon the 2nd viewing, you are absolutely right, the shots through the window did nothing at all, they just looked cool. He should have pulled up beside them to start with.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The shots through the windshield served as cover fire. It forces the suspect to hold fire and wait for a chance.

Svpernaut likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah that might be true too, I was just saying how when I first watched the video I thought it was the shots through the windshield that got them to pull over and it was the shots out of the side window that really got them.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

It's all for cover. why risk getting your hand shot outside the door when you can do some suppressing fire through the windshield. the velocity of those bullets would be so reduced that they probably wouldn't even do real damage.

I always wondered if door panels on police vehicles are reenforced so officers could use them as gigantic strike plates.

5. Rowdy4Life

Rowdy4Life Member

I met that officer at a conference last year in Dallas. Seemed like a very level headed guy, I’m glad he came out safe.

Going to reach out next month while in Vegas and buy the man a drink.

donkeypunch and Svpernaut like this.
  6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The new Explorer Interceptors are.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This is how my grandfather died in 1977. Strange to see scenes like this for me now.

8. Bandwagoner

Just want to point the obvious out that all my discussion in the thread was on technical aspects and not judging actions after the fact. Barrier blind ammo is a big trend right now and there has been much discussion lately of the efficacy of it in the gun community.

that isn't the standard.

it would not be effective

I wear eye protection when I mow the lawn, so yeah that's gonna be a no for me dog.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

Gonna have to look at those at an auction.

10. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I've spoken to my brother in law who is an LEO, and he said that they do train for this type of scenario (department dependent of course).

The reason they were allowed to engage, is because the bad guy shooting randomly out of his window was already a greater threat. If you'll notice, the officer prepared his weapon long before he used it, and was waiting for the right time - and even waited for him to pull down a side street before engaging.

Long story short, there was no "perfect" scenario for engaging with these bad guys, they used their best judgement to do so. Also, pit maneuvers weren't available because they were actively being fired upon. The only time he was able to pull up long side the vehicle, was when he was actively trying to put shots on target.

Shooting through a windshield can be effective, but the preferred way it through an open window. The point of entry, and the angle of entry plays a huge role in how a bullet will continue. Comparing tests firing from outside the car, and from distance would not yield the same results. The shots fired from the officer would have lost a bit of muzzle velocity, and had a lower trajectory upon exit, but could have easily ended up on target.

11. Bandwagoner

No they would have almost certainly veered upwards if shot inside the car. How would they lose muzzle velocity?

What they would have lost is a shite ton of energy and probably their jacket along with the ability to penetrate anything else.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh don't misunderstand, I wasn't questioning the decision to engage and fire on them, I was specifically talking about shooting through the windshield of the cop car and saying that probably wasn't SOP. When you have people firing on you and others, you have a responsibility to put an end to the chase as quickly as possible because they are an imminent threat to the public.

Either way, what he did worked and that's what matters.

13. Sajan

Sajan Member

A+ work by the cop. That's all.

Now we will let the internet experts argue over effectiveness of shooting through windshield. Carry on.

Asian Sensation likes this.