1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Kostas Papanikolaou Highlights (12 points, 4 threes) vs. Jazz

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 29, 2014.

1. cebu

cebu Member

it's happening..

2. cebu

cebu Member

spanoullis version 2.0

[​IMG]

3. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

i don't plan to ever call another man big papa

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

spanoullis version 2.0 was jeremy lin. jump into the air and pass to nowhere. the greek invented it, lin perfected it.

5. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Right. No other man but Kostas. [​IMG]

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Looking forward to some Niko Niko Rocket food specials!!!

7. Jimes

Jimes Member

Wait, is it pronounced pap [pæp] or pup [pʌp]?

8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

He had a outstanding all around game, good to see he found his stroke .

Love his energy on both sides of the ball.

9. mikeyg603

mikeyg603 Member

How long before a papa johns endorsement deal?

10. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

It's Greek, so neither. Greek pronunciation is completely "flat" for lack of a better term. It's hard to explain to an English speaker because you guys are used to your letters all representing a million different sounds. Not even the google translate chick gets it right. I guess [pʌp] would be the closest. It's definitely not "pop" or [pæp].

11. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

i call him Papasito

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

underrated, I like it!

13. thedude077

thedude077 Member

No.
    Papanikolaou = Carlos Delfino 2.0

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not French

15. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

No way, just his passing alone put him miles ahead of Llis.

16. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

He seems a little uncomfortable handling in the open floor on the run but he's seem smart enough to know that so he gives the ball up and hits the wing or he slows down on the break instead of getting out of control...... I think with some nba athletism training and workouts he could be a really decent sneaky athlete..... Definitely gonna need some strength training and sure up that handle..... I don't think he'll ever be a volume scorer like Manu but his game can be quite similar from the sf position. I like this kid. He has that "it" about him.....

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I really liked the lineup with him *and* Ariza in together. I guess that might be kind of rare, but it gave us an interesting look and good length on the wings.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The more and more I see of Papanikolaou in the NBA, the more I see actually of Boris Diaw except with better defensive instincts.

In Europe the game didn't seem open enough for Papanikolaou to really utilize his playmaking as much, but in the NBA he's really doing a great job of fitting in as a perimeter 3/4 who can facilitate and make great passes off the dribble.

The shot is about as streaky as Diaw's but enough of a threat to allow Papa to make a positive move towards the basket.

On defense, he's much better than Diaw although he doesn't have the strength in his base that Boris does.

Also Papa is sneaky athletic at times, and can make some great open court blocks.

The Rockets got a steal in Papanikolaou. He's probably not going to be a ROY candidate or anything, but he should definitely be an all rookie 1st or 2nd teamer this year. No way a rookie playing a vital role for a playoff contender SHOULDN'T get major recognition for that accomplishment.

19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I call him pap smear.

20. Dino

Dino New Member

Papanikolaou had an average of 43% in the past four years in Euroleague. I think it's just a matter of time to adjust in the NBA line, and he'll probably have around 35-36%. It's interesting to see him handle the ball ,as in Europe and especially in Olympiakos, he wasn't really allowed to dribble much. When he made those dribbles and fakes I was like...wow is this Kostas. Anyway, he ll be a good addition to the team, he's extremely passionate...especially till now you can see him cursing after certain shots.