1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[video]Kobe Bryant 81 points

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Sep 21, 2011.

1. VBG

VBG Member

To me

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YTqK7Z8fejQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is more impressive than T-Mac's other huge games because it was against a defensively dominant Detroit team

2. blink

blink Contributing Member

i personally like, even though he and yao carried a team of scrubs through the season, tmac was always able to elevate his game in the playoffs. too bad no one else did

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1ROBxgIWiVY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry, this is a Kobe thread and pretty much 81 performance is something that your hero could never do. And guess what? he never did.

4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Didnt Kobe get slapped by Shaq??... Sucker punched Mayweather style by Chris Childs.... and have Ron Artest put his forehead in his eye???....Hero???

5. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

How many people thought Rox would not pass 1st round with TMac + YM? It happened. Championship is much harder than that. Shaq could not close game, TMac could not either.

Rox were up 5 with 5 min left in game 7 2007 first round on home floor. TMac couldn't do a damn thing in that stretch.

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I am strictly talking about Orlando T-Mac. I am strictly talking about T-Mac's best years in Orlando. I never thought he was that great in Houston.

7. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

And you know why? Orlando had this everybody could shoot and P&R for TMac offense, much like the one you saw for LeBron in Ohio. Once he's paired with a legitimate bigman, the path to the hoop is much more crowded and he's never gonna be as efficient.

TMac is not a very good one-on-one player. He always needs a pick to get open.

8. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I love Yao, but please do not compare him to Shaq in his prime. My whole point is Shaq in his prime + whatever elite SG would still would have won many championships. Kobe with Shaq was the same level as T-Mac in Houston.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

I thought the early Tmac years in Houston were great. Those series were exciting.

We got that guy from Orlando. just because it says "ROCKETS" doesn't mean he lost his skills.

However as the years go by and you realize, this guy is not the one to lead us to a championship.

Olajuwon and Michael Jordan have played with many different teams that weren't successful.

Jordan fans are blaming Dave Corzine like the Tracy fan's excuse of Patt Garitty.

Rockets fans booed Robert Horry because he came from the same place that produced Buck Johnson.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

you again are basing things on hypothetical situations. Just because it looks good on paper doesn't mean it works.

Shaq + Kobe did lead to championships, but it also led them to losing the Tim Duncan and the Pistons.

The Rockets has Scottie Pippen (3 time bulls champion at the time) and Hakeem Olajuwon and Charles Barkley on the same team.

They didn't win.

This is how every debate goes:

Kobe ACCOMPLISHED A, B, C

then people respond

Tmac HYPOTHETICALLY would have accomplished A, B, C

if X, Y, Z happened

Let me give you a scenario.

If you add a tough defender/player to Tmac and Yao, you'll win a championship.

Daryl Morey goes out and gets Ron Artest.

What happens? Tmac is out, tmac is in, tmac is out, tmac says he's back, tmac gets surgery, tmac doesn't play

Championships are hard to get and it's kind of insulting to any championship team to think you can just replace players. There's trust, chemistry, months of practice and play to achieve it.

11. kovacs242

kovacs242 Member

TMAC is better than you.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

goodbug,

you don't need to explain to me who's better , all of the above > tmac.

you just need to explain to me why these people's devotion to Tracy McGrady is so David Koresh cult like where they don't even trust logic, facts and even their own eyes.

13. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I've usually just toyed with tinman to get his obsession stirring, but over the past few years I've found the hate towards T-mac quite unnerving. I mean I really just don't understand it. I've NEVER seen anyone hate something or someone so passionately. It's like he's holding on to a grudge but I don't know why. He can't accept the great player that he was when he was healthy. Instead, he compares him to other players and looks over Mcgrady's accomplishments.

No one with a brain is saying that Mcgrady is comparable to Kobe right now, but in his prime Mcgrady was near the same level if not a better player than Kobe. That's just something that can't be denied. Just look up the stats or videos and it's obvious. I remember vividly hearing on sports radios in Houston during the offseason of 06-07 of a possibly straight up trade of Kobe for T-mac. That is how good they both were.

Yes of course tinman will twist everything Mcgrady fans say but what the hell... Just because I was and still am a fan of Mcgrady doesn't mean I'm gonna back down to a hater. I personally enjoyed watching Mcgrady all the way back to his Orlando days. So naturally I was stoked when I learned he was coming to Houston. It's just sad that injuries derailed his career, but I hate the notion that he didn't have the heart. That's BS.

Back in 2008 in the playoff series vs Utah Mcgrady played injured that whole series. He repeatedly had to have his knee drained and was playing with a sore shoulder. Did that stop him? No. He played the whole series and gave it his all in game 6.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oHkdCD-XvaQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That game he had 40 points, 10 rebounds, and 5 assists. The only other scorer for the Rockets that game that scored over 10 points? Luis Scola. Mcgrady played injured and still dropped 40 big ones. So don't give me that crap about no heart. Most of us remember him crying at a press conference after the first Utah series the year before...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PofsN2LgH0I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

See the passion? Desire? Yeah, it was there.

Oh and let's not discredit the fact that he is 4th, FOURTH on the all time points per game scoring in the playoffs. The people ahead of him? Michael Jordan, Allen Iverson, and Jerry West.

That is why I am a fan of Tracy Mcgrady. You can hate on him all you want but don't look over the player he was when he was healthy.

1 person likes this.
  14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Well that's not what I said, was it?
    Are you completely unable to understand and comprehend English? Because it seems like it.

15. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Thanks for adding reputation to this user. May you be lucky enough to receive the same Reputation back in turn.

1 person likes this.
  16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

The both of you combined have ZERO credibility.
    Goodbug is a Kobe nuthugger, and you are a T-Mac hater.
    Ohohho! Now you want to talk statistics? Who lead the league in scoring in 02-03? Tracy McGrady did.

Let me lay it out for Tinman in the SIMPLEST terms that I can possibly dumb this down to. Even a three year old can understand this:

Once upon a time, there was a great basketball player named Tracy. He entered the league right out of high school! Which is a tantamount to how great he is considering ELITE NBA SCOUTS took a chance on drafting him over college veterans! Kobe, the same.

Tracy dominated during his Toronto days and his Orlando days. In Toronto, he didn't feel like he was getting enough minutes and that he would always live under Vince Carter's shadow so he ditched the team and moved to Orlando. There, he was the number one go-to guy. During his tenure in Orlando he was arguably the greatest scoring swingman in the league.

It's like Tinman thinks that Tracy fans think T-Mac now is better than Kobe. Hell no! Tinman, you obsess over history; why don't you go learn some!

17. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

FIFY ;)

18. tinman

Supporting Member

I am a fan of the Houston Rockets, my favorite players are derived based on what they do for the Houston Rockets.

And I find it very humiliating that so called Rocket fans make dumb excuses for failures. Yes, I was fortunate to grow in the Olajuwon era, so maybe people are different now.

Yes we Olajuwon era fans could make excuses too, if Cartwright didn't break Hakeem's nose, if the NBA didn't ban Wiggins/Lloyd, if Sampson didn't get hurt...

But what do we talk about? We talk about the glory. the banners, the games, the championships. we talk about them with pride.

---
    it appears that certain people talk about a player from Orlando during the Orlando years with such pride and talk about the individual statistics with such pride and talk about hypothetical situations with such pride.

see the difference?

Again. I don't hate Tracy McGrady. I just hate the excuses, the grasping for stats. I really don't know why a player who always ends his tenure with teams badly, gets so much sympathy like he's Charlie Brown.

I honestly WOULD HAVE NOT commented on the Tmac 46 point thread if one of the fans would drop the "better than Kobe" line.
    And thinking that people who believe that Kobe > Tmac were the delusional ones?

MVPs, NBA championships are not easy to get, and just because this player was hurt all the time doesn't mean that if he was healthy that he would win.

And it's been proven year after year after year after year after year.

Why did Morey trade Tmac? you know the answer, you just don't want to believe it.

19. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

So it's not ok to be a Rockets fan and to be a fan of an NBA player at the same time?

20. tinman

Supporting Member

I was explaining my point of view.

When you are too busy defending some player's lack of success instead of true success, then it's obvious that player is not that good.