1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Kevin McHale Vegas Summer League Interview - "Flexibility doesn't score"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HoustonTexas, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Flexibility only scores in the bedroom.

2 people like this.
  2. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Kinda funny jlin fan still frequenting Rockets forum hoping to troll Rockets fans for an imagined grievance.

3. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Hahaha repped

4. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

You and other fans might not have a problem with McHale’s comments because you’re fans. But from a business perspective, he’s wrong. It’s not like Morey meant for this to happen. Everyone’s goal was to be a lot better this upcoming season. McHale saw along with everyone else how this all unfolded. He should be supporting Morey... at least publicly.

5. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Support does not equate to sucking up.

6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

lol, that gave me a good chuckle. Props to Mac.

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

And McHale may not have meant to leave Damian Lillard wide open for that 3-pointer. His goal I'm certain was to prevent the Blazers from scoring and hold on to win that game. But he failed miserably and I and many other Rockets fans felt he deserved to be held accountable for his screwup(unfortunately he wasn't).

The same applies to Morey. Of course he didn't mean for any of this to happen. But it did. In large part because he gambled heavily in his pursuit of Melo and Bosh, neither of whom ever wanted to be here in the first place. Now I don't think Morey should be sh-tcanned right now for his screwup, but he needs to feel the heat for it which is why I'm glad McHale spoke out publicly like this. Punting on 2015 should not be an option. If Morey can't fix this mess by the trade deadline and give this team a shot at improving next season, he and McHale should be shown the door.

8. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Not the same thing.

Morey went out there and had a plan, with algorithms and contingencies and it was a hair away from being uber successful.

Mchale trotted out a group of guys who he didn't teach defense and told them simply "not to give up any threes" and they went out and allowed a WIDE open shot to their best shooter

9. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

From a business perspective, this is insubordination. Mchale is publicly throwing his employer under the bus to make himself look better when the team doesn't do well. It's a real unprofessional thing to do.

I'm sure he's doing it because he is coaching in the final year of his deal, but he won't finish the year if he keeps talking like that

10. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I like McHale as a person and player. While his coaching leaves a lot to be desired, I think our player turnover exacerbates the situation. He lamented in the interview about having to train the new guys on what they're doing. I can sympathize with his position, the constant churning makes it difficult to build synergy and a team identity. I truly wonder why a HOFer would stick around in this type of situation, but he probably realizes it his last coaching job and he has a chance at winning with his core. I also think he really enjoys the comradeship you get being part of a team. Maybe this is the year he gets fed up and leaves the team before he gets relieved. We'll see.

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Yeah, some plan Morey had. He makes the Lin deal and gives away the Rockets' first rounder before he has any sort of commitment from Bosh. He lets Parsons out of his deal a year early under the naive assumption that no other team out there will give him max money. And he pursues free agents like Melo who everyone knew had prioritized playing in a big market and Bosh who loved Miami and preferred to stay there(and who'd already dissed the Rockets once before in free agency).

You look at nearly every move made by Morey this offseason and it was a gamble. None of them paid off. In fact, they blew up in his face and set this team back going into next season. And now his "plan" going forward is to do nothing so he can do the same thing all over again next summer. And the summer after that if 2015 turns out the same way. All the while gambling that Dwight will want to remain here 2 years from now despite all the turnover in the roster with nothing to show for in terms of success on the court.

Morey is very good at maneuvering around the cap and stockpiling assets. But it seems like more often than not, it's so he can then take those assets and capspace and play roulette with them. I get that there are no sure things in sports, but this franchise has got to start coming up with safer ways to improve this roster and quit risking so much on moves that often have little chance of panning out.

12. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Yep, that's Daryl "Captain Ahab" Morey for you

(Let's hope not, though)

13. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

This offseason was a bust compared to the last two because we traded and got Harden (after a miscue with the Lakers/Hornets & the NBA) then the next offseason we were fortunate enough to have Dwight show interest in our team and sign with us. Morey has a pretty long track record of gambling and succeeding, so do many other teams. Unfortunately for us, Morey doesn't like to be manipulated (see how it turned out with Scola using free agency as leverage which resulted in Morey signing him to a terrible contract).

McHale shouldn't publicly say anything negative about his boss or owner. Morey has the ability to influence Les into firing him I'm sure. While I don't agree that we should have chased more FA's so that we could have a plan c/plan d I feel certain that we may pick up Carlos Boozer after her just got amnestied by the Bulls as back up PF and 6th player off the bench (ironically how Taj Gibson was used last year).

I don't know any other sport where you can bad mouth your teams management and not expect any repercussions.

14. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Perspective here would be great. Morey got us two stars two year in a row, then he missed this year.

As many have speculated, he let out parsons because it was agreed upon when we signed harden through the agent. Then he had to move on the Lin trade because the lakers were on a deadline.

Conversely, if we got a commitment from bosh, but then couldn't move Lin, you would've blamed him for losing bosh by not chunking Lin.

If it had all worked out, you would be praising the fact that he let chandler out early so we could lock up the whole team long term. You have no perspective.

Use logic, not hindsight. Nobody gets to use hindsight in their jobs

15. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I don't like how McHale always has this little tidbits that goes against our GM and team direction. Hopefully it will lead to his crappy ass eventually being gone.

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

let mchale say what he likes, it's probably a good thing for a coach to disagree with a gm, very different requirements.

17. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Here's another McHale interview from CSN. He doesn't exactly seem to share Morey's confidence about the team being better come playoff time next year lol.

<iframe src="http://player.theplatform.com/p/zT2_HC/iEazkwCwmKPM/embed/select/Ttyp_Hu2xmEK?params=zone%3Dcsnvideo&autoPlay=false" width="480" height="270" frameborder="0" seamless="seamless" allowfullscreen>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

Morey interviewed at Vegas as well:

<iframe src="http://player.theplatform.com/p/zT2_HC/iEazkwCwmKPM/embed/select/wklYeL7fOXDZ?params=zone%3Dcsnvideo&autoPlay=false" width="480" height="270" frameborder="0" seamless="seamless" allowfullscreen>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

18. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

I don't like McHale, but one must watch the clip to get the true context of the snip quote. "Flexibility doesn't score", McHale implied roster flexibility as a result of lost rotation players and the big FAs already signing with other teams. Which indeed makes sense.

19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't remember most of the scrubs dropped or traded away for getting Harden or Dwight.*

It's an emotionally inconsistent argument to trash Morey on gambling for crapping out this season and not extend the same logic for the previous two when his gambling did pay off and deliver a promising 13-14 season.

There was excitement from everyone that we could build on last year's free agent coup with another big prize. Clearly it didn't work out, but I didn't hear these whiny doubts from the same people then. That's the price of going big, right?

The current wheeling and dealing has to stop for fans and players to function as people so that things like forming bonds with each other and the community and growing together can settle as time marches on, but there are some clear realities that the team assembled last year was not enough. So we're stuck with Morey and the Harden/Dwight era that he created. Bailing out now is pretty much a move a loser would make, or one that hasn't seen a plan execute to the end.

Fans are as fickle of their players as they are with their coaches as they are with the management. It's a pretty ****ty moment right now, but you just gotta trust that Morey and his team's hard work and commitment to doing what they've always done and hatch another plan to take us over the top.

At the very least, I hope the experience has helped them put more weight on the people side of players.

*...Well I didn't until Morey started to bring them back.

20. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Morey was always going to talk in a positive light about the moves. You can argue Mchale should have just stayed in line.

However, it is obvious the team is worse this year than it is last year. You can argue Morey did the right thing all you want, the one fact is the team is worse.

Morey thinks the only way to win is to have 3 stars, nothing will change his mind. He was willing to be worse this season so we might be able to get a third star later.

People keep using the harden argument. The OKC GM was an idiot, this is universally accepted. OKC had better deals on the table, so we would need to rely on another GM being an idiot and giving Morey a star for trash.

This off-season was a wake up call, it isn't that easy to get a third star.