1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Kevin Martin - 28 Points Vs Jazz (4.7.10)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by batkins, Aug 6, 2010.

1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Glad to see you back. Great clips!

2. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Kevin is such a beast. Too me it's kind of good that he's underrated. We don't want anybody getting a big head.. And I also like when we're on national tv and Martin is destroying the other team, and everyone else is like "woah who is that guy??".

3. rocketshopeful

thanks- i like the post up on wesley matthews, if he can do more of that, he will be close to unstoppable as a scorer.

4. lionaire

lionaire Member

I wanna see that, 82 times this year. Actually more...during the playoffs too :grin:

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

definitely. his mid-range game is one of the best, probably just below hamilton

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

His shots unusual, but it's so effortless.

7. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

What I love is his ability to move w/o the ball. I love the play where the Rox threw Scola and Jeffries on a double screen to get him open for the wide-open curl on the elbow. Plus, his spacing is excellent with his waiting in the right spot whenever Brooks gets penetration. Add Yao's low post presence and some time for everyone to get up to speed on Adelman's motion offense and we will be deadly on offense this year. My main worry is defense--can Brooks and Martin hold their own on perimeter D?

8. tofu--

tofu-- Member

What I've always wondered is how Martin doesn't get blocked more often. The ball is like right in front of his face when he releases.

That said, I love his game and I'm so glad he's on the team. He just meshes so well and he draws fouls like a beast.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

He's so fluid, it looks like he isn't exerting any effort at all.

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

This isn't a request for the OP, but I wish someone would post a link for all the clips in the game where Brooks, Martin, and Scola all scored 30+.

That would just make my day.

11. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Rockets have a SG that will avg 20+ a game and do it within the flow of the offense. When was the last time we had that? That is going to be huge.

12. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Kevin Martin is a big time player, but you can't tell cause he does it so quietly. Plus, getting to the free throw line is so key now in the NBA and he does that great.

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Like this guy?
    [​IMG]

Seriously though, I think Martin will be great this year. :)

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It's hard to believe that some so-called Rocket fans want to trade the guy. Ridiculous!! :rolleyes:

15. HTXEZE

HTXEZE Member

i don't think many people have given Kevin Martin a chance. I hear people wanting to trade him but in my opinion with Yao back he will thrive and average 26 a game.

16. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

I love Kevin Martin. When I met him this summer, I could not believe how friendly and nice he was. He had no problem taking pics and signing autographs. He seemed just as excited to meet us on the free agency caravan as we were to meet him. Heck, he was asking us more questions than we were him. That whole thing when he paid for that kindergarten boy's funeral in Zainsville who died on his way to the last day of school was awesome. I even included him in a research paper I wrote about seatbelts on school buses about two weeks ago. He really fits our roster that is full of great guys with outstanding character. I think some Rockets fans would feel a little more emotional attachment to him if he used twitter or facebook to interact with the fans. I'd like to see him stay in Houston, and I can't wait to start seeing some Martin jerseys worn around the Toyota Center this season.
    Thanks for posting the video OP!

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

His playing style is really similar to Hamilton's.

18. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

Man I am so glad we got this.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Great video batkins. Thanks!

Martin was 9 for 20 from the field that night, 9 for 9 from the line for 28 points.

The video showed the 9 made FGs, including spot-up Js, pull-up Js, fast-break layup, and even a post-up. Guess how many dribbles Martin took in those 9 possessions that ended up with made FGs? 5. That's it.

Of course, this didn't include the possessions with missed FGs, or where he drew fouls, or where he touched the ball but didn't take a shot. [Edit: Guess I'll just have to sit down and watch all of the games and count dribbles (when I get bored. :)) Wonder if the Rockets have someone count the number of dribbles a player takes every game.] However, I'd bet that among high volume scoring guards, particularly those who go to the line frequently, Kevin Martin has to be among the best in the "Points Per Dribble" or "Points per second touching the ball" category. He's the anti-Steve Francis.

#39 Carl Herrera, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  20. ILoveTheRockets

interesting points you bring up, and if you look deeper into i'm sure martin is in the top 3 for "points per dribble"... he really doesn't put the ball on the ground much when looking for his jumper and that is actually amazing in it's own right, and also refreshing as a rockets fan.