1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Kevin Garnett loses his cool, headbutts Dwight Howard, gets ejected

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 12, 2015.

1. today

today Contributing Member

Thanks ChumpCity....

From watching the video you can tell that it wasn't pre-meditated or thought out... Garnett just blew his top. He wasn't trying to get Dwight thrown out, he just lost his cool and wanted to fight him.

Like you, I don't agree that he's a fake tough guy... Had this been at a park, KG would have been brawling. Players do as much as they can do to push the envelope, but in the heat of the moment they consider the punishment ($$$) and do what they can get away with or do what has minimal punishment.

1 person likes this.
  2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Exactly. I love how people are comparing the old game to this one. Back then you could beat the crap out of someone and the NBA wouldn't bat an eye. Now, players can face fines, ejections, suspensions, etc. Toughness isn't beating the **** out of someone, it's knowing that you can and choosing not to.

3. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

I find KG's instigation and games as annoying as the next guy but what would this kind of "manning up" solve or prove? As much as Facebook and ESPN commenters want to believe it, being perceived as tough is not going to get you anywhere in the NBA. Would people foul him less hard? I'm not sure what the goal of being perceived as tough gets you. See, there's these guys called refs...

If anything, Dwight got KG kicked out of the game and while he's really long in the tooth, messing with any team's expected lineup is probably a good thing (unless they have Hassan Whiteside :eek: on the bench).

Dwight is a smiler and huge. So he's supposed to play like Bill Laimbeer too? Why? That's fans seeing a good player on a winning team and giving him a "yeah but he's not a WARRIOR." It's lazy and reactive. And it's just not who Dwight is. I imagine there are more pressing parts of his game he would like to improve than the perception of his peers. And internet BAD BOYS.

1 person likes this.
  4. Exiled

Exiled Member

So Adam Silver fined Dwight 15,000$ , Garnnet 14,600$ (one game salary)

stern was't so bad after all

5. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

The thing is, as this soft stuff is all coming in games where we won. Two were complete laughers were the other team never threatened to win the game. Who gives a shi*t if other players on terrible, go nowhere teams, are calling you soft?

I don't want to see our guys getting pushed around but getting into a fight would be giving them what they want. Stay cool, stay on the floor and win the game.

1 person likes this.
  6. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I agree, Dwight should have uppercut KG when he was up in his face.

7. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Exactly, I'd rather see Dwight start making his FT after those hard fouls than decking the next person who looks at him crooked.

8. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

What would that get him? A twenty game suspension? Other players have a certain perception of him that isn't going to change by knocking someone out. If anything they would try to get under his skin again in the future hoping he does it again. The only way Howard can change how he is perceived is by winning a championship and he must be on the floor for the Rockets to do that.

9. wgray

wgray Member

what did dwigt do??? all i get to see was kg

10. frontline94

frontline94 Member

do "all" Nba players have this soft perception of him. doesnt make sense considering d12's shoulders are the size of most players' faces

11. dragician

dragician Member

Even the UFC doesn't allow head-butting... KG is simply classless.

12. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Bad Blood Between Big Ticket & Superman
    Heated Eastern Conference Finals History
    @1:17 smack to the face
    @2:43 elbow to the head
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/31Nk94-3y_4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    --------------------------------------
    Garnett Punches Dwight's Arm
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Erqg1ZLt_VA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    --------------------------------------
    Dirty Tricks Down Low
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/N29o3tfuiSk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    ---------------------------------------
    Guard Troy Hudson recalls Dwight Howard's rookie year encounter with Garnett. Garnett was Howard's idol before the NBA since he was an athletic big who went from highschool to NBA to superstar.

"That is a relationship that doesn't happen for KG for one reason," said Troy Hudson, Garnett's teammate in Minnesota from 2002 to 2007. Loyalty, Hudson says, and the retired guard gives an example of how Garnett treated rookie center Dwight Howard during a 2005 game in Orlando. "Dwight Howard tried to talk to KG on a friendly side," Hudson recalled Thursday. "And KG looked at him and said a few of those KG choice words. "After the game on the bus, I said, 'KG, why are you so mean to the young fella?' He said, 'As long as I continue to play, that dude is looking for my job. The next guy is trying to be better than me, trying to destroy me when he sees me. For as long as I'm in this league, I'm not friends with anyone besides the 12 guys that are in this locker room.' "
    http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_24574706/timberwolves-kevin-garnett-new-team-lower-numbers-same
    -----------------------------------------
    "The Shove" during Howard's Rookie Year:

It will be remembered in Howard's career scrapbook as "The Shove." Frustrated with Howard's freakish leaping ability that altered his shot, Garnett pushed Howard, who stumbled away. KG was whistled for a technical. Howard is 262 pounds, 42 pounds heavier than the 7-1 Garnett, and he didn't stumble far. In fact, he glared back and approached KG -- to the delight of Davis (Magic Coach). "Dwight responded the way you're supposed to respond, with inspired play, to let [Garnett] know, `I'm not going away and you'll hear from me the rest of my career,' " Davis said. "I think Dwight had Garnett's attention." As for the shove, Howard shrugged it off.
    http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2005-03-13/sports/0503130321_1_howard-cato-magic
    ---------------------------------
    Trash Talk:

"When the time comes rest assured Bryant will make something clear: The carnival act ends now. The clowning and goofing are done. During games, players used to hear Kevin Garnett screaming at Howard: "Paint your face, clown!" up and down the floor." --Adrian Wojnarowski
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--d...eds-to-leave-clown-act-behind-in-orlando.html
    Howard Pushing Garnett off the DPOY throne:

KG won DPOY in 07-08. Howard dethroned him for the next 3 years in a row as the new DPOY.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Defensive_Player_of_the_Year_Award
    The Chomp & Howard's Response:
    [​IMG]
    Zach McCann Twitter by TrueHoop Quote: Someone asked Dwight Howard about Kevin Garnett being his childhood idol. "Not anymore," Dwight quickly responded.
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/archive/index.php/t-200145.html

1 person likes this.
  13. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

LOL noooo. What is KG going to do kill him? In a fight Dwight would destroy him. To bad KG only starts fights when they are televised, with security, police, NBA officials, and assistant coaches all there to break it up. Has there ever been evidence that KG has ever got into a real fight? All you have to do is take him to the ground and beat him silly - he's a little stick man.

Other then fight Dwight and lose - what will KG do? You say he's so crazy but these guys are millionaires - some with their own security. I don't get it? Will he drive by his house and shoot it up? Get his boyzzzzz on him? That's not mental - that's chicken****.

14. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Ok so can he be on our team next year???

15. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not advocating for Dwight to be a hothead and just start knocking everyone out from now on but the needed competitive edge is not there with him and other players sense it and have no fear. A lot of fans including myself have been complaining about Dwight's lack of effort, toughness etc. and I think its deeper than his "bone on bone" issues with his knee. Dwight appears to not have the mental makeup of a true competitor and it's a problem. I realize he has a certain personality and that he will probably never develop the edge I always talk about. All the greats have this edge/toughness. You think KG would have pulled that crap with Hakeem, Shaq, etc. Hell no! It's just a frustrating thing I see in Dwight. He acts like too much of a pansy. Dwight is who he is though so I guess you just have to take the bad with the good. Just frustrating that's all.

16. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

I normally respect your takes. Not this one....you have no clue what you are talking about.

You should sit this one out pally. Cute attempt though...

17. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

All the comments on the yahoo stories etc. that i see show an overwhelming support of DH and everyone saying KG's act was business as usual... instigate, act tough, and then act tougher when they hold you back.

I don't know if he planned it or not, it was a heated and physical play, but he fouled him, shoved him, didn't like getting shoved back, and then threw the ball at him and headbutted him, to which DH responded with a slight half open fisted jab, which is probably all he could do unless he wanted thrown out too. Anything more would have more greatly justified KG acting like an idiot in the first place. Have fun sitting out in Memphis, KG.

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Care to fill us in on one of the juicier KG stories? I'd love to know what kind of maniac he is off the court.

19. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uEQ1cWn_DH0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

adidas buds for life?

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

It made no sense at the time. KG probably didn't feel like playing.