1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Kevin Durant arrives at Portland airport for workout

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Clutch, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Kind of nuts, considering he's not even going to be a Blazer. Thought this was interesting for you UT fans as LaMarcus Aldridge is there to pick him up.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xrs0gCxoPfQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xrs0gCxoPfQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

2. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

It's hard to pass up a big man but watching pretty much all of Durant's games I don't think I could not take him.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

are you absolutely sure they are picking oden? I'm just asking do you have some sources or just going by the information out there in the media. I think they have to at least look at him.

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

What a scene. I live here in Portland, and the consensus is 50-50 on KD vs Oden.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Thanks Clutch, but it does prove that reporters are idiots in every city in the nation.

DD

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

That's the hard part though -- how could you not take Oden?

No inside info pgabs ... I just think it's he has to be #2 unfortunately, even with as good as Durant is likely to be. If Oden turns out as good as he's projected to be, how often do those types of bigs come along?

7. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I watched "Why You Can't Blame the Blazers for Drafting Sam Bowie" last night on ESPN Classic. I couldn't help but think they could possibly be repeating the same mistake. Oden doesn't have the injury problems that Bowie had in college and Durant is no Jordan (though no one knew Jordan was going to be Jordan), so I don't see the difference between Oden and Durant being as great as MJ and Bowie. However, I could see Durant being a force in the league and Oden being a good but not great center.

8. drpepper

drpepper Member

Seeing how Oden struggled against Wisconsin, Purdue, Georgetown, Tennessee, and others, I have to give K. Durant a long look.

hookem horns!!

9. verse

verse Contributing Member

the interviews i have heard, Clutch, sound like portland IS leaning towards taking durant #1. i've heard 2 different interviews here in SA to that effect.

10. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

how do you not take Oden?
    how do you not take Durant?

you don't mind being 2nd in this race.
    though i did watch college basketball just to watch Durant play.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Is it me, or does youtube suck the last few weeks?

I'd go Durant, Oden. Durant excelled in college. Oden was unimpressive. The theme, at least with Oden, apparently continued at his workout. IF Durant has a great workout, he seems to fit in Portland's lineup really well.

Jack, Webster, Durant, Aldridge, Pryzbilla

...trade Randolph for something...

12. JamesC

JamesC Member

The Blazers could always pull a Houston Texans.....lol

13. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Why not take Durant?

You already have an agile center in Aldridge...

getting Oden will slow them down and clog the paint

14. JamesC

JamesC Member

How so? Oden runs the court like he's 6'5.

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would be interested in knowing how many of the people out there who are sure that Durant should be #1 don't have some sort of ties with Texas. I don't mean to attack UT fans, and I have no legitimate opinion on the mater as I haven't seen enough of either Durant or Oden, but most of the posts that I see that extol Durant as the sure #1 seem to indicate some sort of UT association.

16. verse

verse Contributing Member

not me. not a longhorn.

it's just that i have heard interviews (here in SA on Ticket 760 with Wally and Vex) with portland trailblazers GM kevin pritchard where he said he is not looking to take a certain position. that he is looking to draft "the best player" and a "player can can contribute right now". now, considering big men historically develop slower, that sounds a lot like kevin durant going #1.

pritchard also has said that they are not going to move z-bo. outlaw and webster and possibilities...as is j-jack. so, once again, we have the GM saying that the frontcourt is not moving, but that the backcourt is available. does that sound like a team getting ready to draft a big or a wing??

wing. durant. don't be shocked when it happens.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I live in Texas and root for UT but didn't attend.

But I'm basing my opinion on the disparity in performances between the 2 on college level, the apparently lackluster Oden workout (will se reports on Durant), and the fact that I don't really buy into the "once in a lifetime bigman" talk, surrounding Oden or anyone.

I guess Oden is the first truly hyped low post bigman since Yao, who was the first since Duncan, who was the first since Shaq/Mourning.

But by the same token, it's not like players of Durant's pedigree come along that often either. A potential KG/Dirk/T-Mac combo type player....those seem to be equally rare these days...

Plus, it seems to me that Durant is a better fit for Portland while Oden is a better fit for Seattle.

18. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I go to OU and I think he should go #1.

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Oden is a lock for #1 IMO. I'm a huge Durant fan and personally I would take him #1, but Oden's potential as a big man is too much to pass up for an NBA exec. He is the highest ranked big man to come out since Shaq and if talent is 50-50, you go with size.

With that said, I still can't believe that both Oden and Durant will be coming to the West. If both pan out, you can bet that Portland and Seattle will go back to their glory days.

But Oden will be in a Blazers uni next season, you have to have the courtesy to at least take a look at Durant.

20. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

I would take Durant. Im not quite so sure why people are so high up on Oden. Is he really that good? I cant see him better than Dwight Howard. He maybe better defensively, but offensively I cant imagine him any better than Howard. Ive watch Oden a few times and there is NO WAY he is more fluid and athletic as Howard. Heck, I dont even think he is as fluid as TD.