1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video Highlights] Donatas Motiejūnas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Glenyo, Jan 29, 2012.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think there is an out clause in his contract. However whether we bring him over then depends, I am sure, on what other moves Morey makes in the meantime. There obviously are not any minutes at the 4 between Scola and Patterson as things currently stand.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Perhaps being a overly critical, but he seems to avoid using his right hand on lap ups from the right side. They tended to be uncontested shots, but hopefully he is comfortable using the right to protect the shot against defenders when needed.

3. HtownRocket34

HtownRocket34 Member

Thanks OP for the video. I agree with YoYo here, the kid has potential and size. What more can you expect for a late 1st rounder? I worry like some of the other posters about his strength to play with NBA bigs, but he does have a good set shot. We'll see how this converts to the NBA, but if he has half of Yao's work ethic - look out.

4. quikkag

quikkag Contributing Member

5. Pete the Cheat

they also said he was a bad rebounder...haha

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No kidding, that guy looks amazing, and to be left handed to boot, I can not wait to see him over in Rockets red.

DD

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You know what else, I will bet DMo would have been over this year if the Pau trade had gone down, to play behind Pau and learn, but because of the lockout and the dirth of bigs that needed minutes or time to find out if they can play, they just let him stay over in Europe and develop.

The irony in all of this is that it was probably the best thing that could have happened for DMo and his game.

He will be our first round pick should we not have one in the upcoming draft.

DD

8. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Definitely a Bosh feel to him. I hope he can put on some lbs, though.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

DWill
    Lee
    Parsons
    Dwight
    Motie

10. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Anyone else think he would've been perfect for Rick Adelman's system

11. smuduffy

smuduffy Member

That guy looks legit. Didn't see any defense though, but rebounding is good, seems pretty athletic for a 7 footer. Offensively, that quick release on his shot is impressive and I think will help him greatly over here. But, as with alot of Euros, they have to learn to dunk when they get here. To me that is not much of a concern though for a 7 footer. If you have the skills to consistently hit tough layups, I think that is more important.

He'll be over here no matter what. I'm sure Morey will do something with Scola, but even if he doesn't DMo will still be over here as a backup C. Its another reason the JHill decision was a good one because there just aren't enough minutes for JHill when you will have:
    Scola (or Scola replacement...I'll miss watching him play though)
    PPatt
    Dalembert (or Dalembert replacement...although unless its Dwight Howard I think the Haitian Sensation is here to stay another year)
    DMo

Filling out the rest of the rotation (you only need 4-6 more):
    CLee
    Lowry
    Parsons
    MMorris
    Dragic (or replacement)
    KMart (or replacement)

others you keep:
    Budinger (too cheap to replace)

12. Prince

Prince Member

No offense, but can't wait to see an all-white lineup.

Luis
    Donatas
    Parsons
    Bud
    Dragic

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The things I took from the video outside of the obvious were how well he moved without the ball , he's sure handed and despite being labled as soft , he made buckets when fouled hard. Also made a couple nifty passes from the high post ..... Dude was made for Adlemans offense.

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This guy's a natural power forward. The Bosh similarities are apparent. He's got quick feet for a 7 footer. Very athletic for his size. Starting to develop some post moves. Appears to be a good passer. Can space the floor and step out side to shoot, and I'm noticing he's using his body more down low. His rebounding has really improved.

For real, this guy has a chance to be a very very good power forward in the NBA. On talent alone, we really hit a home run grabbing this guy in last year's draft. I want him on our roster next year.

Thanks for the highlights!

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I hope he's not another David Andersen. Would have liked to see more of his post game. Most of tho highlights were jumpers and layups off good passes. But he does show a nice shooting touch and can pass.

16. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Actually, I was thinking he was the perfect pupil for McHale to develop.

17. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Count me as relatively unimpressed. He's got a little game, but the competition looked pretty awful. He definitely plays under the rim too. That's fine for a guy like Scola who has some bulk to him and is crafty to no other, but DMo's a rail and doesn't appear to have those moves. I'm hoping for the best and realize he's still young, but I'm not counting on him for anything.

18. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Yeah. Hoping for some McHale magic.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Motiejunas is only 21 years old. How he'll perform in the NBA will certainly depend a lot on his drive and practice habits from this point on. But in terms of raw tools, the guy obviously has potential to be an all-star power forward.

For those wondering his lack of power game, it's not like today's NBA is predicated on power anyway. Just take a glance at the top PFs today. There are no Charles Oakley/Otis Thorpe type brusiers at the position. It's mostly filled with finesse, athletic guys. Motiejunas should have no problem posting up on these guys if he continues to work on his game.

20. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

He's the black Lamar Odom