1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Greg Smith gets 4 blocks in NBA debut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 20, 2012.

1. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

i couldn't help but laugh here lmao :grin::grin:

2. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

Did you watch the preseason? He didn't play well.
    Also in the interviews that Rockets.com did, he sounded low on confidence. He needed the D-League.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So some idiot gave me flack for this obvious joke.

To this idiot, I give you some Rockets history:

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/56/cavs_get_cato-ed/

Cavs get Cato-ed
    SUMMER OF 1999
    By Clutch
    Copyright 1999 ClutchFans.net
    At the rate Kelvin Cato is going, he may take over for Hakeem Olajuwon sooner than we may think. Cato scored 20 points on 7-10 from the field, grabbed 13 boards and swatted 12 shots (yes, 12 shots) to lead the Rockets past the Cavaliers 107-97 in the Compaq Center Friday night. Cato was so impressive, the fans in the Compaq Center gave him a standing ovation after his 11th block. Rookie point guard Steve Francis added 18 points, 4 boards, 4 assists and 2 steals, but turned the ball over 7 times. For the second game in a row the Rocks turned the ball over 25 times. Walt Williams scored 14 points, grabbed 7 boards and picked 2 steals, Cuttino Mobley came off the bench to add 15 and Shandon Anderson scored 8 points. Check out also the Cleveland Plain Dealer recap of the game: Scottie who?

4. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Maybe he is so terrible that "showcasing" him could hurt his value.

5. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

ROFL @ Stevie's turnovers. Omg I celebrated so much after he got traded. Such a bonehead.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jeremy Lin's turnover rate makes Steve Francis look like John freaking Stockton...

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Thats what I was thinking with the fouls. Greg Smith is NOT even known as a shotblocker. He's a project with an NBA body who's a decent finisher.

Thabeet can do that EVERY GAME, get some swats with more fouls than rebounds.

8. Bellaire Brody

9. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

If you think this kid is doing great now, just wait till he's fully healthy!

[​IMG]

10. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

I always had a chuckle around this time when I heard Cato's nickname:
    "The Hallucination"

To those couple 2-3 folks that don't get it, that's a play on Hakeem "the Dream"

11. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Seeing this guy have such a positive impact for how ever much he played, guessing that number is less than 20 minutes, just leaves me speechless in regards to Thabeet. The guy has size and he showed that he can be active on the boards and defensively but how badly does this guy play? I know he's just now learning the fundamentals, but if you really want it badly enough you've got to learn something by now right?

We've seen the inconsistency of Hill and how he plays, granted I'm sure Thabeet isn't as mobile but he does have height and you can't teach that. We had freaking Stormile Swift for nearly an entire season, I don't know how Thabeet can't crack the rotation. That and Twill. Both guys seem to have potential but who knows if we'll have minutes to give them.. I sincerely hope Morris gets some playing time though. Make a trade happen please, we have so much "depth" it drives me crazy.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't like Cato as a starter, nobody did.
    However, I thought he was a serviceable backup to Yao.

13. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

So in game #2 Smith gets 0 points, 0 blocks, 0 rebounds in 12 minutes.... to go along with his 5 PFs? Rockets win.

14. Spooner

Spooner Member

I was sitting up close at the last game. He was playing pretty physical defense. I'm more excited about how good of a defender parsons is becoming though. He's got swagger. He was jawing at Rudy Gay the whole game. lol

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He just Gregs.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I like how in the first one he was beaten off the dribble but was quick enough to recover.

He seems to be kind of a sneaky-quick shotblocker who catches the other guy on the way up rather than at the apex, almost a strip rather than a block.

Good to see though either way.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Tell us more bout that. What was Chandler saying? What was Rudy's response to it?

Rudy did get his 23 but it took him a Kobesque 22 shots to get it.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Thanks for the info on Greg. I missed the last game and was wondering how he did. I only had the boxscore to look at. 5 fouls and 0 everything else didn't look good. I nice to know that he played good physical defense. They should still let him foul out. He will learn how to fine tune his defense that way.

19. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Gregs! That could stick....

20. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

So, we multiply those numbers by 4 to get his per-game numbers, right?