1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Greg Smith gets 4 blocks in NBA debut

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Margrave

Margrave Member

Assets over talent has been the MO of the team under Morey, always be ready for a big trade, even at the expense of letting talented players leave, or rot on the bench.

Bizzare approach - and one that might ultimatly cost him his job.

1 person likes this.
  2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Both. You're born with the mechanics for the potential for good footwork and rhythm, but you still have to learn it for that specific sport.. Hill's just big and strong with decent quickness...his rhythm isnt there.

For some reason, Smith doesn't seem to get his arms up high. He blocks shots diagonally, almost pre-release. His arms also don't get up very high on his shots. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing in the long run. Sounds like a hard worker and good guy, good sized body, but why is he being called an actual center? Looks and moves more like a PF. He's not over 6'10. Pat/Smith could be our PF rotation of the future. Definitely would make it easier to get rid of scola, if smith stays consistent.

#62 RV6, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Can you give a few other examples of asset over talent decision?

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

That's puzzling to me. Ok,people have said thabeet will foul, but block shots, yet, smith did the same. I mean, I know it seems like old news, but when thabeet came up from d league with memphis and got 20mins a night, he played well. Now, adrians ad smith are getting time before him. I don't know why they just won't release him so he can go somewhere else. Sometimes,like ryan anderson said, it just take consistent minutes and a coach believing in you. Right now, they have 0 confidence in thabeet.

5. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

There's always a handful of people who think [INSERT ANY PLAYER] will become the next superstar, especially on this board. I'm not saying Morey didn't miss something huge, but to ask "other people saw it, why didn't he?" is a bit unfair.

6. inishi

inishi Member

lol, wasnt there some dude from Greece.........

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

I understand what you are saying, but why is it unfair? He is the professional, we are the fans. If the fans see more than the professionals, we have trouble in river city.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He looks like a giant Chuck Hayes.

9. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

The taller, more handsome version of Chuck should have handily made the team. I am not sure why Morey handled it so poorly.

My fellow Smith supporters can't even begin to count on our hands the number of times we'd wish that Morey would pick him up.

10. Margrave

Margrave Member

Hmmmm, good question, I would say this season alone you have:

Lin and Smith getting cut over Thabeet, Flynn and Twill.

Not sure about previous seasons, but the perception is that they make business decisions over talent based ones.

11. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

True. And it doesn't look good for Morey's rep that he passed on Lin. It's questionable that he didn't see enough value in Lin before cutting him.

But my point is that when a great player emerges, there will always be someone who called it from the beginning. Sometimes it's because they knew what they were talking about and sometimes it's just luck. You were right about Lin, but there are people who felt the same way about every other nba player that has gone no where.

12. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

It's nice to have such a deep bench.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

? The asset is talent. Morey is in the business of collecting talent. Other NBA GM's aren't dumb. This has caused Morey to go dumpster diving.

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Back to talking about G Smith for a second!

Dunno what it is, but there's something "likeable" about him.

He was MUCH more "mobile" than I expected. Seems like there might be a future for the kid as a backup C in the NBA!

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

They are keeping Thabeet for his expiring contract in order to make salaries fit for potential trades.

16. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I started the freedom movement and one day later, he was free :)

I HAVE THE POWER!

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Let's see if the GregWagon can put up 2 strong games.

Make Dalembert expendable!

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I understand that,but I wo7uld think showcassing him makes some sense too right? I mean when 7ft guys are being overpaid on a yearly basis, I thought playing thabeet 20mins or so a night could prove very valuable.

19. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

He's going to love playing for the Magic....

20. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Maybe they are showcasing him best....by not letting him play. Still always someone who will think they can get something out of a young big guy....maybe the more he plays, the less anyone would want him.

I have no clue really, but still a possibility.