1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video Game] The Last of Us

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Keyser Soze, Jun 4, 2013.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

Still a huge multiplayer community.

2. noize

noize Contributing Member

A long time 360 owner here since its launched. Decided to skip out this generation and get a PS3 and its exclusive instead, considering how cheap the games are now.

Well, the first game I've purchased was TLOU (AAA quality review) and it blew away anything I've played in the last generation. Wow, my jaw dropped at the details, art direction and animation in this game. Reminds me so much of the Resident Evil 4 which was one of my all time favorite game. I could've easily been fooled that it was a PS4 game if I didn't know any better.

Base off of this game development, I think I will go buy the Uncharted series. The main thing to get a PS3 was for the exclusives and blu-ray and I can't be any happier. So I heard some PS3 games runs at 1080 resolution? Can someone give a list of these games?

3. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Very few

4. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Really?

5. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Yes, really(Dr. Evil voice)

The PS4 people are at a slight advantage since they are playing at 60fps of course

6. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Game is great, but the stealthy action makes me feel like it's a western version of MGS with a better story.

7. faraza84

faraza84 Member

I wish there was a sticky cover system. But it was good either way. I binged playing that this past weekend and I never really had to force myself to keep playing except for the winter section.

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

Anyone play and have a mic? I hate talking to myself :( no one on psn has a mic....

9. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

I bought it today. So many feels, brehs.

I don't play a ton of games,but the controls don't seem very intuitive. I'm still enjoying it a ton.

10. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Have you tried with a PS3 buddy?

11. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

I played multi back when the game first came out last year but haven't played since the ps4 release since I don't have my copy anymore. Plan to get the ps4 version some time in the future

12. mikus

mikus Member

I only read the last couple pages of this thread but i didn't see mention of this one detail that makes the ending even more ambiguous.
    The bit about other immune folks wasn't a complete lie. You can find tapes that talk about the Fireflies finding other immune folks, doing the surgery and killing them and not finding the cure. So basically the Fireflies are quite willing to sacrifice Ellie for research that hasn't yielded results in the past.And presumably in-game Joel knows this. Puts his actions in a different light.

Overall an incredible game.

13. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Just played this for the first time (PS4 version). I'd got it for PS3 but hadn't gotten around to playing it, so I did the Gamestop upgrade deal.

Long story short, I don't think it lived up to the hype.

Don't get me wrong... overall very good game. There's no single thing that ruins the experience for me, but there are enough nitpicky things wrong that add up, to me.

For one, the stealth detection seemed pretty wonky sometimes. At times it seemed impossible that an enemy wouldn't see me... and yet he didn't. Other times I'd be behind a guy, sneaking extra-slow, and he'd magically detect me. Kinda not cool, for how important stealth is.

The way enemies with guns, don't drop their guns/ammo after you kill them really took me out of the game (I was playing Survivor difficulty, maybe that affects the drop rate?). I mean, I'm all about Resident Evil-style scarce resources, but it worked in that setting because you were really only fighting zombies. In this game, over half your fights were with people, and their guns magically disappear as soon as you off them. Would've been so simple to fix... more zombie fighting, less human fighting, and less ammo throughout the world. Make fights with humans pretty much the only time you get ammo.

It was as linear as the Uncharted games... but did a worse job of hiding it, especially in the first half of the game. Whenever I saw stairs I started saying to myself "okay game... use your go-to excuse... there's a filing cabinet on the stairwell!" This effect did seem to lessen starting with the "Winter" portion though, fortunately.

The pacing felt... too even. Story, fight. Story, fight. Story, fight. To the point where it felt contrived.
    You get to what should be a relatively safe, fortified place (the Dam), and bandits just happen to choose to attack a few minutes after you arrive. Really? There was almost nothing in the way of a prolonged story section until you got to "Spring" with the giraffes (one of my favorite parts).
    The DLC was better this way too... I prefer longer story sections to break up the action.

Overall really good though... stunning graphics, good music, great sound design. I just prefer Uncharted for an action romp, or Heavy Rain for a good story, or Resident Evil for a zombie game with scarce resources. This game tried to do all three, and ended up less than the sum of its parts for me.

14. CCorn

CCorn Member

Hey guys. I'm on... All alone :(

15. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

If you play multiplayer, you can add me. I've been playing it lately and it's pretty good.

16. mrm32

mrm32 Member

PS3?

Miggyray3

I probably won't be able it get on until tomorrow though. It's usually me and 2 buddies. Always looking for that quality fourth guy to get us over the hump.

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

I can't promise quality...

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

doubtful that joel knew this, otherwise he wouldn't have taken her all that way... nor would he act so shocked when he found out what they were doing

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It depends on what enemy type, human vs clicker vs stalker, etc. They have different modes of detection. The stalkers, for example, are incredible difficult to use stealth around. I thought the humans could have used some better detection for sure. Strangling a dude RIGHT NEXT to his buddy sometimes wouldn't alert them. Weird. The way the humans worked together to secure the high ground and flank you was pretty amazing though.

You pretty much answered your own question. The difficulty level changes the scarcity of resources. The way I see it, finding random ammunition that just so happens to perfectly fit the gun you're using is the exception, not the rule. Changing out people with zombies is not really an option, because that alters the story, which would be sacrificing the plot for a game mechanic, not good design.

Considering the setting of the game (almost completely urban), this was inevitable. If you played the game like a sandbox, you were bound to run into these things.

Once again, this is something that virtually every linear story driven game suffers from. Action, cut-scene to drive the story, more action, more cut-scenes to drive the story. The convenience of the action didn't ruin the immersion for me as much as the obviously placed chest-high boxes everywhere that basically told you "this is going to be a firefight, hide behind this". The DLC was a totally different animal meant to tell backstory.

teehee.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/0t0uCWjQ6Og?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/0t0uCWjQ6Og?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

20. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I did like that the human AI was pretty decent at moving around. But as you say, not noticing when you're strangling their buddy two feet behind them is a tad ridiculous.

There were also many instances where the human AI would sit stationary, basically forever, until I moved in behind them. Even though they didn't actually see me, they apparently used their mind powers to figure out that exactly then, they needed to start moving around.

If I'd known that was a big part of what the difficulty did, I probably wouldn't have bothered playing a high difficulty as I usually do. As a big fan of the Uncharted games (which I like better than this), I wasn't expecting the difficulty to have a huge effect on drop rates. Thought it would just be a take more damage / do less damage thing. Oh well.

Well again, I'm not saying it's more linear than many other games, but I just thought they didn't hide it as well. I've played plenty of survival-horror games that did it better... RE & SH, for example.

Right, but my point was just that the pace was so exceptionally regular that it felt contrived. Pace shouldn't be totally regular all the time. There should be peaks and valleys. This was like looking at a heart-rate monitor of someone who's asleep. I thought they did a better job pacing Uncharted 1 & 2.

Heh, that's a good one.

I should've taken video of some of the things I ran into playing Last of Us. I had a time where I tried to vault over a table into a space that was apparently too small for my character. He floated there for about 10 seconds before the game apparently decided he'd fallen a long distance, and he died (the drop was about 2 feet).

This one I ran into several times... I would kill a few people in a large group, without the others seeing me. They would not be in view of their buddies' bodies, but would seem to sense that they were gone. Instead of walking their routes like they were before, they would start sprinting along their routes. Sprinting in circles, forever. I would watch for a few minutes, but they'd never stop, or start looking around in different places or anything.