1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Video game RE-runs.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by joesr, Dec 16, 2010.

1. joesr

joesr Member

Got nostalgic feelings for Final Fantasy Tactics? I did, so after buying from the Playstation store and about to beat again I thought about a challenge to set. No special characters. Since I am using these special characters in all my story mode fights, it makes its so much easier, time to cancel that. Also, no Mime or Calculator classes as they make it super easy as well. No cheats ofcourse (duplicating, etc). This will make it a bit more challenging?

I've done the same for NBA 2k series (no more coach development and such).

So what do you guys do to when replaying a video game to make it a bit more challenging? and gawd I feel like I am addicted to FFT all over again.

2. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

You play final fantasy and 2k?

...that's an oxy moron.

3. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Try beating it with only orlandu and regular swords? And play 2k with the crappiest team with no coaching development?

I dunno, I rarely re-play games. And when I do, I don't change the difficulty.

4. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Contra, baby. One life, no power-ups. Regular gun.

Areas of difficulty:

- Base 2: the very first part of the boss fight, with the red soldiers that run out and shoot.
    - Snow Fields: taking out the snow tanks -- extreme button mashing required!
    - Energy Zone: getting through the final area before the conveyer belt leading to the boss without using the B shield -- craziness!

Everything else is no problemo. Straight up old-skool NES action.

5. huypham

huypham Contributing Member

seriously fadeaway, you did that? that's insane. i had a hard time beating it with only the initial 3 lives.

6. Eps

Eps Member

i play half life. so i usually do things with the crowbar and the grav gun, everythingelse becomes obsolete. and i up the ante by computer mod. or god mode on pc. more creatures to kill,etc, etc....

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I try to complete the Final Fantasy games with everything possible. I usually end up getting impatient and not getting everything (Adamant Armor anyone?).

8. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

There's also single class challenges, like playing through as a squire or monk only. Too many games on my backlog to replay the classics.

9. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

FF Tactics was a really great game. Love the music and deep-dungeon sidequest. Orlandu is a one-man army!

10. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

Gafgarion = best character in FFT

11. liljojo

liljojo Member

I play Tetris.

Blindfolded.

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Fallout. I do EVERYTHING I can. Same with Elder Scrolls. There is just straight up so many things to do.

13. chestr

chestr Member

You mean like this at 5:10? ;)
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8kqKOlcaZuI" frameborder="0"></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I can beat it with my left and my right. It feels weird when I beat it with my left. :eek:

15. liljojo

liljojo Member

Oh my God. There's no way. I refuse to believe that.

16. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

[​IMG]

17. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

I always try to beat games with my eyes closed after I beat them initially. Now that is difficult

18. joesr

joesr Member

theres no way dude!

19. joesr

joesr Member

Thats why to raise the difficulty ima get rid of ALL special characters (ie Orlandu, Agria, Mustadio, Cloud and all of them) but I think I will keep the knight swords.

Only playing with hired soldiers and invited beast.

20. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Orlandu is definitely one of the most unbalanced characters in any game, ever. Definitely heard of people using only him, or eliminating him, because using him feels like cheating.

Sports games... back when I still liked NBA 2K (which was basically the first NBA 2K through 2K9), I would set an arbitrary maximum overall for a created team I would use... say all starters below 75, all bench below 70... and then I would create a super-team of made-up "perfect" players (like a 7-foot-6 center who could run like Kevin Garnett). With that set-up I would occassionally lose like 1 game in 5.

Tell you what's hard right out of the box though: Demon's Souls, third playthrough, King Allant. No blue phantoms, and no using glitches to kill him (poison cloud). And then of course there's Old King Doran, on any playthrough by yourself without glitching him. To anyone who claims to have beaten him legitimately without help: I don't believe you, period.

I've been meaning to do a third play-through of Valkyria Chronicles with no class or weapon upgrades, and no orders. Game was definitely too easy with all that stuff.