1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Video Footage Shows Dallas Police Fatally Shooting Mentally Ill Man

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by s land balla, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

How long are you going to cling to that pen analogy. It's been ridiculous from the get go.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well it's not THAT bad everything considered. It's pretty hard to come up with something to defend an indefensible stance.

3. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

I'm not here to convince you of anything.

You must not know a lot of cops if you don't know any making around a hunskee. Some of HPD's traffic officers make $120,000+. I make $30/hour now with my incentives (on 5 year pay scale). I work all of the DWI grants, X-mas parades, etc. I go to court a lot, ALR (driver license) hearings and I train the new officers, which is a lot of OT. It all adds up. If you hustle on patrol you'll do fine. Even the slackers get a little default overtime.

We also get 4 hours of mandatory OT due to our 12 hours shifts. I work an extra job (where I'm at right now) at $40 an hour. All of our Sergeants make over $90k and ALL of our Lieutenants make over a $100k. We don't have officers making the news for trafficking cocaine, putting a gun to their wives head or pistol whooping a suspect, which have all happened around this area recently. And it's because of our hiring process and lack of negligent retentions.

This is what I mean when I say all depts are not equal; Some PDs like Hitchcock, TX pay $12/hour. You'll make a solid $42k working for the Harris Co Pct 1 Constables. We're fortunate enough that we only hire about 3-5 for every 300 that apply, and most of those have a bachelor's degree and/or military experience. Not so much with places like Hitchcock Police Department. They'll have 5 people apply for 2 spots. Nothing against them, but they don't have the budget to be competitive.

I know exactly the mentality you're talking about. I've met some of those. We call them "STB - Straight to Black" See link for further reference: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/08/15/managing-stress-arousal-for-optimal-performance-a-guide-to-the-warrior-color-code/

Sounds like your cousin did a quick threat assessment and made a quick decision that ended peacefully. Also sounds like it would have been a good shooting. Some officers are calm, think clearly and don't get tunnel vision in stressful situations, and will find a quick way out of a potentially deadly situation where deadly force could have been applied.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

About as ridiculous as saying a screwdriver is a threat to a group of police officers.

5. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

The screwdriver is not the threat. They didn't shoot the screwdriver. The threat was the person charging the officers wielding the the screwdriver. Any object can be a weapon. It's how it's used that matters. It's a tragedy that this mentally ill man did something that he may not have realized would cause him to be shot and killed

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

How many officers have been killed by screw drivers????

Here's a great article from the Atlantic: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...use-with-the-mentally-ill-are-madness/388610/

some quotes:

[​IMG]

Also from that is a video of UK officers handling a man with a machete without killing him in the first 20 seconds.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cX5CPx4RKWw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Always with the comparisons with the UK.....more officers have been killed in the US just the first 3 months of this year than in the last 15 years in the UK, it's a completely different culture the comparison is pointless.....but good try. Again, you have a completely defenseless perspective on the issue but you're still trying and you should be commended for it.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

So in the UK a man with a machete waving it around and chasing cops is less dangerous than a man in the U.S. holding a screwdriver???????????????

THat makes no sense. Why are criminals less of a threat in the U.K.???