1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Dunk of the YEAR?! DeAndre Jordan over Brandon Knight

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rawool, Mar 10, 2013.

1. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i don't think he was trying to make a block. he saw the lob coming from chris paul and tried to grab or deflect the ball.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

o/t but my reply on that video got 153 likes on youtube (I know it's overused and is seen everywhere but still...)

TheRealist137 13 hours ago
    this was so nasty I had to switch to p*rn when my Mom walked into the room.
    Reply · 153

2 people like this.
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--b...-to-stop-deandre-jordan-s-dunk-174058736.html

Woj lol.

His opinion pieces are bad. Dude doesn't get it, yeah everyone is joking about it but everyone knows he's trying to make a play. Even Knight jokes about it because he played the sport growing up. He knows how it is.

Everyone knows Knight tried to make a play, but it's better to make fun of it.

It's not just basketball, ALWAYS in football. If a guy gets trucked or if a safety lights someone up you're going to hear the same thing. I'm sure every sport outside of sports like Golf (since it's a solo competition) have a example like this where a player clowns another player and it's funny. All part of the show.

4. underoverup

underoverup Member

You live with your mom.... lol.

5. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

Use your feet Brandon. there's no way you can stop that with your hands.

6. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Good dunk, but bench reaction and players on the court was way too exaggerated. You can see Del Negro pushing players and telling them to calm down / sit down, I like that.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

the best part is the pistons standing around the coffin.

8. dream2franchise

There seems to be an interesting discussion hovering above this about whether or not Knight should've attempted the block. My initial reaction was that it was just a silly move on Knights part to even attempt it but was put down because Knight made a basketball play. It seemed like a fair point.

After thinking about it though, wasn't it just a poor decision on Knights part? DeAndre Jordan is one of the most athletic bigs in the league, catching a lob at the peak of his jump, and Brandon Knight is a 6'3" guard. Not a shot blocker, and he wouldn't have lost any respect if he moved out of the way of it.

You could argue that Knights basketball brain kicked in, ie' 'protect the rim' but all he ended up doing was giving up three points instead of two and giving the Clippers team, and crown more energy, more adrenalin. (To be fair, Jordan could have also bricked two potential free throws had he not completed the dunk, but gone to the line). All of this decision making in a split second is unlikely, so Knight did what he thought was best and you can only respect that.

My question is: Was it a bad defensive play? Guys like Bynum and Zach Randolph cop flak for attempting threes. Why? Because they have no business taking those shots. Kobe would rather shoot a fadeaway 18 footer over three players than pass to an open man. Players gamble on defense all the time and it leads to an open three or fast break dunk. Westbrook leaves his feet with no where to go and no one to pass it to way too often. All bad plays/bad decisions.

I believe questioning Knights decision is just as reasonable as understanding why he did it. Respect the guy for doing it sure, I just think wondering if it was the wisest move on his part is okay too. In my opinion. I also think it's the least offensive criticism you can give the guy in context of all the mockery.

9. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I totally agree.
    I can understand his "basketball thought process" kicking in but at some point you have to recognize, this **** isn't what I'm paid to do. It's not in my pay grade. That's for Monroe and Drummond. If those bigs don't wanna step in the lane then whatevs, I'll just wait to get the inbound and get back on the offensive end.

Like you mentioned, he gave up 3points not just 2 and then just gave the Clippers and their crowd an adrenaline boost.(Not like they really needed it considering I believe they were already waxing the Pistons off the court).

10. Mr Chuck Norris

11. Shaud

Shaud Member

lol so people are really bashing Knight for attempting to deflect the ball? People get dunked on in basketball it's part of the game don't get how him doing what he did makes it a dumb play.

12. basketballholic

This play

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OSwpqBPxVtc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

will make more difference in wins and losses than that stupid dunk ever will.

Not a hater. Deandre is from Houston. I seen him play in HS. Likeable kid. But if he doesn't fix this, he's gonna cost his team any chance of winning a championship.

13. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

I had to immediately switch to p*rn.

14. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

after getting his soul ripped from him last night, he gets his ankle injured in tonight's game.

times are rough for brandon knight :(

15. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Not at all a bad defensive play. Knight doesn't know it's a 7-footer coming in for the lob. If he gets to the ball first, he makes a solid defensive play that could spark the fast break since all this was in transition anyway. It was a great lob by Chris Paul, who throws some of the best-placed alley oops, and a great catch and dunk by DeAndre Jordan who showed great hands and strength to catch and finish in the air. Knight's resistance prevented an easy finish for DeAndre, and it could have led to two bricked FTs. Give me a player who will try any day over someone who doesn't.

By your reasoning, you're lobbying for guards to not even attempt shot blocks and that only big men are responsible for guarding the rim. We all know that the smallest guy can block the tallest.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kt5pOPn_0Ik" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. dream2franchise

Not sure if those plays are comparable. Nate Robinson's vertical and Yao Mings lack of vertical, coupled with the fact that Nate read that play from a mile away means he made the right play. Nate was in the air as Yao was lifting. All over it.

I'm pretty sure Knight knew who was coming down the lane. Did he care? Hell no & respect for that.

Meh, he went for it and it didn't work out. No point harping on. I was just putting the question out there. It would've all happened so quickly.

17. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

like you said it happened all too fast. I'm sure he was looking at the ball in the air and didn't see Jordan coming, otherwise I'm almost certain he wouldn't have tried. I watch that team sometimes (dreadfully) and they have given up a long time ago, so I'm sure Knight was trying to get his and deflect the ball for a fast break. Of course I'm just assuming things.

18. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Brandon knight wasn't trying to block the dunk shot. he saw Paul throw the ball in the air and being in the vicinity he was trying to deflect it. unfortunately, he can't outjump Jordan. i don't even think he saw Jordan coming.

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aVFjb9Tmt60" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Javale "Namaste" Hadaddi

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

UA doesn't waste any time:

[​IMG]