1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Dream, Barkley, Pippen Interview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yao11, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Yao11

Yao11 Member

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GuRFx4aJiMg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Found this oldie today. Fun interview to watch, even though the board hates Pippen. Loved the jokes at Charles.

Have a great Friday, everyone.

3 people like this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

at that point in time, nobody hated Pippen, optimism was sky high around here.

here's an interesting, what could have

http://www.clutchfans.net/news/602/scottie_regrets_rockets_not_getting_rodman/

Scottie regrets Rockets not getting Rodman
    WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 3, 1999 9:53 PM CST
    By Clutch
    Copyright 1999 ClutchFans.net
    According to the Chronicle's Rocket Notes, Scottie Pippen is disappointed the Rockets have drawn no apparent interest from Dennis Rodman. Pippen, who was Rodman's teammate with the Chicago Bulls, said Thursday, "I think he would have been a good fit for this team." Scottie also added that it's still not out of the question that Dennis could end up in Houston. "I think the opportunity is still out there that he might come here" According to Pippen, coach Rudy Tomjanovich tried to make connections with Rodman but was unable to contact him. "Knowing Dennis, he's going to make things difficult. I think if he doesn't play this year, his career is over. Father Time has started to kick in on him. If he doesn't show any interest in coming back now, who's going to be interested in him the following year?"

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

That was awesome... great trip down memory lane. Thanks, Yao11.

• Scottie saying nice things about Charles Barkley.
    • Charles Barkley saying nice things about the Rockets.
    • Peter Vecsey was relevant.
    • Jayson Williams hadn't killed anyone... that we know about.

So many things have changed.

4. Know Your Role

Nice find! Doesnt feel like that long ago....

I like the commentators predictions that we needed more backcourt depth. That was found to be 100% true against the Lakers. Looking back it's almost idiotic that we had Malloney, Dickerson, Drew, and Price as our core of back court players. Having Mad Max back would of been a big help.

5. FFz

FFz Member

Ernie looks so sexy when he was young! Homo.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

And for those who don't know or were too young to understand why things went south, here are Scottie Pippen's d-bag moments in getting out of Houston less than a year after he signed here.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8-ugxfIYANA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/41A2tUJefdg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Scottie said he wouldn't apologize to Charles Barkley at gunpoint, bringing out one of Charles Barkley's best quotes ever.

"He's saying he would never apologize, but as you know, I always carry a gun with me."

1 person likes this.
  7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i liked the last part, where he said if he got arrested for murder, then we know Pippen didnt apologize :grin:

I didn't realize pip never made over 3,5 mill up until that point. Salaries just skyrocketed around that time.

8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

man i remember that game when Charles hit that buzzer beater against the lakers my friends dad said I was not allowed back in their house after that game

ahhh memories

9. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Thanks for the video, Yao11!

The Rockets should have traded Barkley instead of Pippen. They would had a better shot to win a NBA title ... building around Hakeem & Scottie.

10. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Big 3 before the big 3 even became the big 3

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

"Waaah, waaah, I play too many minutes, I handle the ball too much, I prefer handling Michael Jordan's balls, waaaah, waaah, I don't like Mexican food, I lost all my money in ponzi schemes, waaah" -- official Pippen quote from an interview that came 6 weeks later.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They used to recap and grade the Big 3's performance after every game in the Chronicle. Back when this city cared about basketball. Anyone have a scan?

13. tinman

Supporting Member

14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin::grin::grin::grin:

15. Pass

Pass Member

So what happened in between?

I see the before and the after from the interviews and Clutch's article, but what was the middle part that made Pippen Quitten?
    Serious question; didn't follow the Rockets back then

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Dude, he signed a multi year contract with the Rockets at Max salary, then decides he wants to be traded after 1 season!

Did you read the whole article?
    This says everything here:

Miller: Scottie, you've won six championships, is it important to you to win one without Michael?

Pippen: It's important from a personal standpoint, but I think this organization has invested a lot in me to come here and put this team back at a championship level. I want to feel like it's my responsibility to get them there, and I'm going to do whatever I can to make sure this team gets to a championship level.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

IIRC, he didn't play well himself in the playoffs, but yet he talked about Barkley not bringing it.

18. Pass

Pass Member

So saying all that, there must have been something to turn him off the Rockets and Barkely completely... some event or comment that suddenly sparks a hatred. I don't see why he would do a 180 otherwise...

If he truly felt that Charles didn't play hard enough, did he leave immediately upon realizing that, without second chances? giving up without trying to get him to play harder or something?

If that was the case, then fault lies entirely with Pippen, but it's hard to believe that someone would do that.

19. Pass

Pass Member

I see. Actually the advanced stats on basketball reference point towards that too. Thanks

20. tinman

Supporting Member

I don't think anybody saw this coming. The Laker series showed us the real Pippen.

Too afraid to take clutch shots, blaming his own teammates including ROOKIES like Cutino Mobley, when it's his responsibility to be the man.

Oh that much touted Pippen defense got destroyed by Kobe. Destroyed.