1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Draft Day with Royce White

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Child_Plz, Sep 4, 2012.

1. zzpot

zzpot Member

I would think having the coach on your side would be the greatest feeling you could have coming to your first NBA team.

Think of it this way... The guy that really likes you and asked for you is the person you will be working under.

zzpot.

2. jocar

jocar Member

[​IMG]

This dude's awesome, no wonder how he became a fan fav so quickly in Iowa. Chuck Hayes 2.0

3. zzpot

zzpot Member

Carl your trying to be funny again and we all know how that worked last time.

Just say if you like Royce White or not!

Out of all our rookies, White & D-Mo are my 1and 2.
    Lamb & Jones are my 3 and 4.
    TJ is NBA ready in my opinion and I think J-Lamb will need some time before he is ready.

My question is, out of all of our rookies who goes to the D-League first?

1.) D-Mo? No way.

2.) Royce White? It could happen but not feeling it until later.

3.) Terrence Jones? Yes TJ will have some time in D-League at some point.

4.) Jeremy Lamb? My pick at this point is for J-Lamb to go and get minutes first.

What do The ClutchFans say.

zzpot:cool:

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Neither. Well, maybe Royce, but i doubt it. Doesn't fit the rebuild model.

5. Child_Plz

Child_Plz Member

I doubt any of them will be going to the D-league.

Jones, White and DMo will split the minutes left by Scola and Budinger, with DMo switching over to C to back up Asik.

Going into the season Lamb will get the majority of PT at SG. Lee is gone and Martin is as good as gone, I don't see those minutes going to anyone else.

6. zzpot

zzpot Member

Can you post the blue prints of our rebuild model?

I get some of what your saying, but I believe Royce White fits this team to a "T" as a rebuilding piece for the Rockets today.

Right now K-Mart is our longest standing "team vet" in years on the team, I believe? How he helps with the rookies no one is talking about because everyone assumes he selfish and will be traded before the deadline this year.. Will he lend some guidance and leadership to the rookies?

zzpot

7. zzpot

zzpot Member

I think we have to start K-Mart and don't forget we have Carlos Delfino, Chandler Parsons, Marcus Morris, Patrick Patterson, and Greg Smith. I know Greg Smith is a "What can you do now?".... player but the rockets put time into him and he is still here.

I'm just looking at the rockets and front office history and asking who is going to the Vipers first?

zzpot.

8. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

What a great kid. Proud to have him as a Rocket.

Was his agent the victim of dis-information or did Morey let McHale make the call?

Wasn't there some late-breaking report that Dallas at 17 wanted Royce.... so we snapped him up at 16?

9. zzpot

zzpot Member

Who knows?

What I would like to see is the next part of the video. The story of Royce White does not end there.. There has to be more footage than that.

zzpot

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I see things quite different-

Machado would be an easy first pick to get sent down to RGV. I think Douglas beats him out for the backup spot in training camp. Machado will make too many rookie mistakes and McHale will be forced to real in the turnovers and go with more dependable play for a more stable backup.

-Of the 4 drafted Rookies I think Royce White will struggle to find a role right away and get sent down to RGV.

This will send Clutchfans into an out of control spiral of threads from rookies about how dumb Morey and McHale are for not playing a potential superstar, etc. etc... I can already see it now.

-Terrence Jones is such a Swiss Army Knife type of player and hard workers that he's going to find his way to minutes right away because he can do so many things well. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets right into the rotation as the first big man off the bench at the start of the season.

-D-Mo has alot question marks going into this season. I really have no idea how he's going to play. I think its going to be a roller coaster ride for D-Mo this season. Lots of highs and complete opposite lows. I think he's also going to have to learn how to stay on his feet more often or he's going to get injured real fast in the NBA and spend more time on the injured list than on the court.

He's definitely going to be the player to watch this season to see what happens. Like Ive said before, skilled 7 footers just dont come every day. If he turns out to be half way decent, he's going to be a major building block for this team to rebuild.

-Jeremy Lamb-his scoring will translate at the NBA level on a bad team. If he's getting PT right way then I wouldn't be shocked if he put up 15 to 18PPG even in his rookie season. Over the course of his career, once the talent of his peers catches up to him, he's going to be a nice 12 to 15ppg solid 2 guard. I dont see any time in the D-League for Lamb.

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

How do you guys think his anxiety and panic attacks will effect him? I hope it doesn't hindered his development.

12. Houston288South

Awesome video! I'm a BIGGER fan of Royce White now

13. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

I think the agent was saying all other teams were against him, not the rest of Rox organization. I doubt McHale has so much say that he gets to pick whoever he wants even though everybody else in the organization is against it.

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, his agent (Andrew Vye -- he calls him "Vye" in the video) clearly got Dallas wrong... he seemed to have Houston's interest correct though. Perhaps Dallas hid it well, Houston found out and that pushed them to taking him at 16.

I believe if Dallas was not going to take White at 17, then Houston would have gone Zeller at 16 then taken White at 18.

It's fascinating that he says it's McHale pushing for him and the rest of the Rockets think he's too risky.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I agree with White. His problem is that he has no defined role plus he can't shoot the basketball. Those are pretty major negatives for a NBA player, but I think he was certainly worth the pick with his very unique skill set. That said he has a lot of work to do on his jumper and free throw shooting if he wants to stay in the league.

#75 robbie380, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  16. TheresTheDagger

How can any NBA fan...much less Rockets fan....not root for this guy.

You can just see how grateful he is to be in the NBA. Always fighting the odds and others expectations of his performance. Guys like this tend to be highly motivated and we already know he has skills and a coach who believed enough in him to draft him. I think we might have something special with this kid.

17. javajoe

javajoe Member

Definitely a five star thread; thanks for posting. It seems to me that Royce has gained some fans with this video.

18. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Holy heck, that video made me want to tear up.

2 Thumbs up.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think it is safe to say that Royce will develop a shot. When he does, he will be very dangerous. His shot doesn't look too bad now.

20. pickymen

pickymen Contributing Member

A very touching documentary. I hope he can prove many wrong and has as good a career as Anthony Mason if not better.