1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Day 2: Hasheem Thabeet, Jordan Hill go to work on post drills w/ Kevin McHale

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 10, 2011.

1. flippedfk

flippedfk Member

Lol really so being left handed is an advantage it didn't seem to hurt Jordan too much. What about Kobe, Lebron and Durant. It's not brain surgery. wow he's left handed he does everything opposite oh my god how can anybody adjust. Lol their is no statistical basis showing any advantage in being left handed defensively or offensively

2. sonnyiztheone

sonnyiztheone Member

Great shooting from Hasheem, and Jordan <<< We need to trade him or something.

3. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

I think the message I quoted before explains it pretty clearly. Players have to make an adjustment when playing a guy who uses a different hand. The advantage comes from the fact that its uncommon.

Granted its not a clear cut advantage, but if you cant understand how this factors in as a good thing, I dont know what else to tell you because the post earlier explained it very well.

4. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

5. redao

redao Member

Thabeet was just amnested. What a No. 2 pick. what a trade.

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Source?

7. flippedfk

flippedfk Member

LOl please give me any statistical backing to this so called advantage

8. arjun

arjun Member

9. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

I imagine that in order to quantify this you would have to look into some advanced stats or something. In regular basketball stats it would be hard to delineate this advantage clearly.

My point remains though -- all things being equal, for a player to shoot from an uncommon hand (left) is an advantage, regardless of whether it can be quantified statistically or not.

10. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Actually, contesting a shot with your off-hand effectively is quite difficult. Bill Russell was very well known for being able to block shots with both hands effectively, something I remember Dwight was also praised for when he first came out.

The thing is, only about 10% of the NBA is left-handed, so maybe 1-2 guys per team at most. Then you consider that this includes guards and forwards, so a few teams will not have both a lefty wing and lefty post player. Players might be good enough to do most moves with both hands to both sides, but there is no way in hell a righty dominant player is going to pull Manu Ginobili's step-back and shoot it with his left. No right hand player is going to use Chris Bosh's roll-right fadeaway left-hand jumper. These are moves that you can't even begin to practice against, while you can at least practice your timing and footwork against a right-handed player who makes conventional moves.

I don't think anyone is arguing that left-handedness is the sole determination of success in the NBA. You have to be massively talented, and that will play a much larger role in your success than which hand you choose to shoot the ball with. When projecting a prospect however, one should take into account that shooting from an uncommon release point (i.e. the left hand), might allow for a raw project to more easily reach his potential. It's really no different than projecting Scola to age gracefully because he has an array of scoop shots that no one else does. This doesn't make him better than Pau Gasol, for example, because Pau is innately more talented and more physically gifted, but it does allow him to produce without Pau's gifts, in the same way that being left-handed might allow for Thabeet to have some level of success despite not being offensively gifted.

11. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

much more vocal, but who is the better coach.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Cuttino Mobley folks, and being left handed is a distinct advantage, people are used to forcing players to go to their left, and that is their strong hand.

Hell, the world is still waiting for Lamar Odom to go right...he is the Luis Scola of left handers.

DD

14. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

neither were russell or walton.

15. DaDakota

Shhhhh, he is on a roll.

DD

16. flippedfk

flippedfk Member

"might allow for a raw project to more easily reach his potential"
    Lol that is completely false. It has no bearing on success. No talent evaluator looks at this as an advantage

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

So has Thabeet been amnestied or was that just a rumor?

18. DaDakota

Rumor...not happened.

DD

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Feigan's training camp story mentions McHale being impressed with Hill.

No mention of Thabeet.

20. DaDakota

Heard from Feigan last night that Hasheem looked good, and had not been amnestied.

Also, Friedman mentions McHale being impress with him...Here is link

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/training_camp_day_3_young_roc_2011_12_11.html

-----------------------------------------------------

Afterward, McHale made mention of the positive performances turned in by Jordan Hill, Jonny Flynn and Hasheem Thabeet, the latter of whom enjoyed his best day of camp so far, swatting shots and scoring several times in the low post.

-----------------------------------------------------

Sounds like he is getting better.

Good article by Jason, I suggest everyone click and enjoy the read.

DD