1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Day 2: Hasheem Thabeet, Jordan Hill go to work on post drills w/ Kevin McHale

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 10, 2011.

1. flippedfk

flippedfk Member

Lol i'm pretty sure they expect the left handed shot, have you ever heard of a scouting report

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

clutchfans ClutchFans.net
    No hope for Thabust. :p

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Its looking more and more like Hill is going to be our starting Center.

4. Rednation713

Rednation713 Member

Hill will do decent...Gurantee. he's 6'11 like nene..hope he learn more new stuff tho.

5. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Best part of the video, they asked hasheem to shoulder fake right then shoot to his left and...he simply FROZE trying to execute a basic post up move in PRACTICE. Almost made me cry realizing that i'm watching our centers on the team.

6. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

It's nice to see McHale acknowledge the improvement. Jordan Hill tweeted after today's practice.

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Hill is our starting center... we should call Joey Dorsey and Brian Cook to get in on this lineup.

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

He said Thabeet is getting better every day.

Look for a story on Thabeet from Rockets.com soon ... Jason interviewed him today and asked McHale about him as well. Should be interesting.

9. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

............................my God, you actually don't know that being left-handed is an advantage in basketball? Have you ever played this game beyond a rec league? This is pretty basic stuff.

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

After listening to the one on one Jason did with McHale... apparently the beginning of camp is always reiterating fundamentals

Seems like you shouldn't have to do that, but it explains the focus of these big man drills :)

11. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

Day three of training camp with some commentary from Thabeet and McHale on him. Im happy that he is at least working hard.

I really hope the Rockets dont jump the gun and waive him or trade him for peanuts. The way I see it, they dont have much depth on the roster as it stands, and even if he shows incremental improvement, his trade value would likely increase since there is such a demand for centers in the league.

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/training_camp_day_3_young_roc_2011_12_11.html

12. flippedfk

flippedfk Member

Lol it doesn't mean anything being left handed is not an advantage. Please explain to me the advantages of being a lefty. It makes zero difference.

13. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

*sigh* some ppl are just clueless

14. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

I realized we just went from having the center with the best hook shot to the worst..

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The best thing about McHale is that he won't force Thabeet or Hill to overthink things like Adelman did. He will let them play more off instinct.

That's a great thing...

16. flippedfk

flippedfk Member

Being left handed is an advantage when your playing in high school and you have no idea who the other guy is so you try to take away the wrong hand. At the NBA level it doesn't matter at all. I have never seen a scouting service or talent evaluator list being left handed as an advantage.
    It is a complete non factor. Have you ever picked up a basketball?

17. prv1981

18. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Have you ever played basketball before? Right off the bat, the most effective way to contest a shot is by using the hand that mirrors the shooters; left-handers have a huge advantage here and can get up much quicker while blocking a shooter's complete field of vision.

On offense, a defender has to take note of which way a big can roll for a fadeaway, and which shoulder he likes to turn over for his strong hook. Having the directions reversed is quite disorienting; there are shots and angles that a right hander cannot use, and since left handers are so rare, a defender might go an entire season without seeing some of them.

So much of basketball is muscle memory, translating hours of practice into instinctive movement during games. It's not just flipping post positions, it's having to defend shots from release points you've never seen before.

19. flippedfk

flippedfk Member

Lol complex answer and it all sounds good but it's all bs. When contesting a shot on the perimeter a righty can still contest with his left hand and normally does just because your right handed doesn't mean that you can't use your left hand. By your definition their are shot and angles that a right could use that a lefty couldn't. In todays NBA players are so skilled and when driving to the basket can almost all go both directions. If their is an advantage it's so minimal that it's not even worth talking about.

20. prv1981

QFT. I dont understand why its so hard for the other guy to understand this.