1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Coach Sampson on how Jeremy Lin handled shooting a critical airball late vs. Heat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Luca

Luca Member

Agreed, Cortney Lee is a much better shooter than Lin. Hopefully, they will incorporate some plays for him.

2. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

who is this tinmac character you speak of?-I do know of a "Tinman", however, "shy guy."

3. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

Sorry brah, but Lin last year was creating on his own...Before the injury of course...and for a small sample size of games...Mike wasn't drawing him up plays the night he came off the bench before he got the starts, and threw up 20 or whatever, he was playing ball, penetrating, passing, shooting lay ups....then he kept it going, and was hitting big shots-see Lakers game, these were just basketball moments...the same basketball moments/plays that will happen over the course of the year...He has not played well LOFs sorry, face it...it isn't Mchale's fault or, Sampson's fault, or Finch's fault...:rolleyes:

4. slickster

slickster Member

This is just a stupid offense, it's not working for anyone. Harden's at 43% FG and dropping. Parsons is at 40%. Asik, at 7'2" is at 42%. Lin is at 37%. I don't know what percentage douglas is at.

It's painful to watch this team's inept play.

5. lfw

lfw Rookie

D'Antoni obviously wasn't drawing up plays specifically for Lin when he came off the bench but his playbook features PGs and puts pick and roll PGs with court vision in a position to succeed. Lin hasn't played well offensively but the coaches are not doing Lin a favor by putting him in situations that statistically in the past, Lin has been bad at like camping in the corner for spot up 3 pointers.

I don't blame the coaches though. It's obvious to me that for the first 2 games, they were still implementing their defense and the offense was just playground ball. Since then, they have been implementing offensive plays for Harden and Asik. Hopefully they will start putting in plays for Lin or else Morey just flushed $25 mil down the drain.

6. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

Umm...it appears that its Lin fault or his God's fault to guide him to sign the "ridiculus" contract.

7. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Everybody should give Lin a chance, I think he will come around. I don't know if you remember but it took 5 years before Lowry could even break 30% shooting from 3 point range.

8. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Jlin performance in the last 2 games is just unrecognizable.

9. roxxy

roxxy Member

Yup because he is doing the opposite of everything he did last year. His defense is now better than his offense. He is uninvolved in the half court & great in transition whereas before he was great in the half court & poor in transition. He is playing off the ball whereas before he was playing on the ball. He was running the pnr, now he isn't. He was scoring in isolation whereas now he isn't. He was getting screened & re-screened without even asking now he has to beg (i'm looking at you patt) or doesn't even get it at all. Really the list goes on in terms of how different things are.

10. slickster

slickster Member

Lin was a work in progress, but he was far from a poor defender last year. He has a knack for picking up steals, which is an intangible you just can't teach, just like you can't teach rodman or love's ability to get to rebounds.

Anytime a player showed the basketball, lin had his hands on it to force a turnover.

Likewise, turn a blind eye, and Lin was likely to pick you off from behind.

Lin's biggest challenge last season was learning to fight through screens. He had no real strategy in mind (going under or over); he almost always seemed surprised there WAS a pick, lagged behind, then ran after his man, leading to predictably uneven results.

As untutored and inexperienced as he was, Lin was ALREADY a well above average defensive talent, relying almost solely on intuition and instinct, rather than any rules or guidelines of man on man defense.

This season, in just 8 games, he's gone from a good to a very good defender.

Lin can be all nba in defense; his instincts are that good. But it would be sad to see him limited to that role; he can be a great two player.

11. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Love how he handled it. Showed a lot of confidence in Lin's abilities tonight and trusted him down the stretch. Coach proved to Lin that he still trust him and even if his back up TD makes a few shots, Lin, his star pg is the go to man down the stretch. Sampson is great coach and I hope he retires a Rocket.

12. tofu--

tofu-- Member

He's a consummate professional and dark horse All-Star coach candidate.

13. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Haha..yep, Sampson loves Jeremy Lin and his attitude, so rewards his good performance tonight with a benching in OT.

14. kinein

kinein Member

Actions speak louder than words I guess.

15. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Cut Sampson some slack fellas!:grin:

Damien Lillard rattled Coach Sampson more than he did to Lin. Coach Sampson got bamboozled out there. He actually thought Douglas was Lin for a minute or eight.

1 person likes this.
  16. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Coach Sampson goes to Lin's apartment tomorrow and apologizes for not putting him back in the game in OT. Sampson says to Jeremy, "if we get another OT, I'll put you in, I'm sorry."

Lin tells Jonathan Feigan of the Houston Chronicles, "Well, you know, Coach Sampson didn't have to do that. But he's just such a high character man".

The two shake hands, give each other a bear hug, and Lin 'officially' takes over the starting PG & playmaker position for the Houston Rockets, in their 10th game of the season. And nine games too late!

:grin:

17. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

In context to what happened tonight. This interview now sounds scarily ignorant.

18. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

It's Sampson's turn to apologize to Lin.