1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Coach Sampson on how Jeremy Lin handled shooting a critical airball late vs. Heat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 14, 2012.

1. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

The same guy who shot the "clutch" air ball a few nights ago did this last season..........

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MAzQ2aY_QtE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Whether Lin can regain his confidence remains to be seen, but he has made the big shot before.

2. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

When Lin was not hitting the threes, he started attacking the rim in tonight's game.

Although some of his shots didn't fall into place, I was glad to see him driving to the basket.

I would like to see Lin back to his old self.

If that happens, the Rockets team will lead the NBA in FT-A with Harden and Lin.

3. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

Thanks for the post. Maybe he is winning his coach over. Too bad he followed it up with a even more horrific offensive game today. Nonetheless, no matter what you think of him, he is a high character kid and makes us want to root for him,

4. Solidz75

Solidz75 Rookie

but that is what I am afraid of, watching him play like he is on the offensive end right now.

5. Cautiously_Op

Cautiously_Op Member

I followed Lin last year in NYK, and it seems they (Rox coaching staff) have definitely converted Lin to a pure pass the ball PG (a waste of his abilities).

On offense, the coaches don't run any plays for Lin at all, like D'Antoni used to do, which allowed him to thrive. So, basically for points Lin has to create on his own, which does not seem to be his preference. He averages about 8 or 10 shots a game, but about three of those per game are 3-pointers as the shot clock is running down. The rest are from fast break layups and the rare midrange jumper. Even when he's open he does not look for shots at all unless it's forced. This contributes to him shooting like crap when he does launch a shot off. They need to allow him to shoot more often. Maybe run those high pick and rolls like D'Antoni used to do for him, where he has plenty of room to go straight to the basket and draw fouls. He was very good at doing that last year. He's a good free throw shooter if he gets fouled, and those plays allow him to put pressure on the other team's guards. It also allows him to keep his confidence up when taking shots. A few high pick and rolls a game for Lin won't take much away from Harden's game.

On defense Lin seems to have improved from last year. He is the #4 in steals in the league, and forces alot of opponent turnovers during the game, which can't be tracked on the stat sheet. He's also a pretty good rebounder for a PG, like he was last year.

His best traits are now obviously the PG skills. His passing abilities are still quite good. There's been multiple times when he's passed through traffic to get the ball perfectly in the hands of his teammates. Unfortunately for him, there's been multiple times when the recipient of the pass was Asik or one of the bench guys. They catch it right under the basket, and totally miss the layup. It's happened alot during fast breaks or in traffic right under the basket too. Perfect passes, crappy finishes. If they finish off those passes, Lin's assists would be much higher. His passes remind me alot of Nash's passes during the D'Antoni days in Phoenix (not a surprise since D'Antoni coached both). But Nash had Stoudamire and a few others who were much better at finishing off those plays.

Another thing Lin's done much better on is reducing turnovers. Much lower this year, at least so far. But he still faces the occasional double or tripple team and he reacts to it like he did last year. He needs to find his teammates earlier, and his teammates need to help him, when these double and triple teams occur.

Although Linsanity was only a moment in time, Lin still has the athletic ability to be much better than the limits he's playing within. He's got a big upside. But, players flourish only if they are able to play in situations that allow them to maximize all of their abilities (take Harden for example). So far, it seems like instead of maximizing all of Lin's abilites, some have been taken away from him because of the limits placed on his role.

Hopefully the coaches realizes where the upsides are and make enough adjustments to allow Lin to play to his abilities, which will only help the team down the road.

3 people like this.
  6. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

The thing about Lin is that his confidence has taken a dip big time. The last few games, his shots are struggling but the other parts of his game are good. But the more he misses his shots, he starts to over think whenever he shoots, which can really affect his confidence.

I think that his shots will come back when he have one good game where his shots start falling, but that will come later. Right now, he just have to be confident and keep shooting through this cold streak. Everyone in the NBA has a cold streak they have to go through. Right now, Lin is going through that cold streak but he have to continue to keep his head up, don't over think it, and just play basketball.

7. zdrav

zdrav Member

Nice to hear Sampson give Lin some love.

8. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

Very well said. thank you.

9. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

So much for sampson trying to railroad li theory. give it time things will turnaround.

10. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

I believe in Lin

11. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

Get Da F Outta here....

12. DXtreme

DXtreme Member

Aren't you that guy that made the infamous " joke thread" , and your worried about being called a LOH? You worry too much bro.

13. Lihao

Lihao Member

dumb people said dumb things , you're officially one of the dumbest on this oard now

1 person likes this.
  14. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

Rec'ed. Say what they want about how much they like JLin. I don't see them playing him to his strengths that he showed last season, but more like putting him in stretch positions to learn new ways. My thought is this.

It's like any investment you make, you want to make sure that it grows and grows the right way. jLin has shown high bball potential worthy of investment but he is still young and inexperienced. Houston Rockets obviously think highly enough of JLin as a bball player to pay to get him back the second time around but know he is really only a rookie in experience as he has played only half a regular season worth of game minutes in the NBA to date. It takes time to master the many facets of NBA games. Most players don't start out playing well right away or they start out well and then dip or have up's and down's for a few years before reaching their potential. Just look at Nash and Kobe, both were trashed by fans early on in their careers. It took Kobe 3 years and Nash 6 years. Another player I follow is Tyson Chandler in ny: he was a high draft pick but struggled in the league for years before he finds his game.

That is why I like to follow players. It's a human interest story unfolding year by year. The players I follow have all evolved into successful players in their own right because of their mental toughness and intelligence of the game. I know JLin will too.

15. yunac010

yunac010 Member

Hope Sampson or someone else on the coaching staff told Lin to just keep shooting. Only way he'll get out of his slump.

16. zdrav

zdrav Member

That's EXACTLY what Sampson told Lin. Somebody posted coach's quotes in another thread.

Sampson said that all of Lin's shots (against the Hornets) were good shots, and that he could live with Lin missing them because he knows he'll get them eventually.

That's true. Almost all of Lin's shots were open 3s or drives to the hoop. Those will start falling in eventually.

17. acjeitherocket

this..........

18. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

the crazy thing is all he had to do was hit the rim and no one would hate him to this extent.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'd love to see him succeed.

I'd also like to see him develop a jumper.

I'd also like to see him re-sign here with a more favorable contract for the team if he continues to play this way, as I think (hope!!) he will someday step his game up. 10.9 ppg 6 apg on 35% shooting isn't worth $8 million. FA Shuan Livingston could post those numbers. A discount contract will serve as a refund of sorts.

Not a Lin hater. Glad he's on our team. Just sayin...

20. roxxy

roxxy Member

The Rockets to run plays for him, the coaching staff openly admitted that they haven't been running plays for him which makes zero sense to me. Rockets are underutilizing an 8 million dollar investment. If they wanted a spot up shooter who plays defense they should have kept courtney lee. Just saying...