1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Chase Budinger - 24 Points Vs Nuggets (Summer League) (7.14.10)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by batkins, Aug 20, 2010.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I love how people know all he will ever be after a total of one year in the NBA as a 2nd round draft pick who is only 21 years old.

Yep, players never get better after that.

DD

2. Raven

Raven Member

Haters gonna hate.

Chase has been good, sometimes very good, and he appears to be getting even better.

3. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

read my post. i said he will be a VERY VERY good starter (which is saying a lot).

are you saying he's a VERY VERY good starter now when he hasn't started? THAT'S NOT GETTING BETTER to you?

he'll get a lot better. jesus.

4. DaDakota

Sorry, I missed the last part about very very good.....but still you don't know his ceiling and neither do I.

My sig is meant to point that out, I am sure people were saying the same things about Kobe......

I am not saying Chase will be that level, but to say we know after his rookie year is mind numbingly stupid.

DD

5. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Chase's limitations are going to keep him from reaching All Star status IMO. He is a good shooter who has the chance to become very good (Mike Miller-ish) but his poor lateral quickness and limited ability to get to the rim using the dribble are things that are not going to improve much if at all.

What he will be is a good (hopefully great) shooter who finishes well in transition, makes smart passes, moves without the ball and plays solid defense.

Not bad at all.

6. t_mac1

LOL, people KNEW kobe would be great the day he was drafted. the dude was HYPED up like crazy. so no, there are no similarities besides the stats.

i'm not basing it on his rookie year. i watch how he plays and try to extrapolate. and that's all we can do.

you usually can spot a star when you see him for an extended period of time (and we did see chase since we're rocket fans), except for a few exceptions of course like tony parker or rondo or things liek that.

but chase can be a very good scorer for us b/c of the system he is going to play in. our style of play suits chase perfectly. so i predict he will be a very very good starter.

can he surprise me? sure. but i don't think he'll be an all-star or be a top 2 player on our team if we are a contending team.

but hey if he can prove me wrong, i would love it.

7. t_mac1

exactly. since when potentially becoming a "very very good" starter is a "bad thing."

that's a great career for 99% of NBA players.

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

For the first 8 or so years of his career, Ray Allen had one of the quickest first steps of any SG in the NBA and finished as well as at least 90% of them too. It was the combination of athleticism and shooting that made him so deadly. Chase doesn't have a fraction of Ray's quickness or ball handling skills and he probably never will.

I'm not sure who originally brought up the Allen/Budinger comparison but it's a horrible one. Budinger is more Keith Van Horn than Ray Allen.

9. t_mac1

i think he's a better version of mike miller. miller's peak, he averaged 15-17 points. so it won't surprise me if chase averages more than that.

10. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Agreed. I'm just thinking his ceiling as a shooter is like Mike Miller (which is awesome). The rest of his game has already or will surpass Millers'.

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

Mike Miller had a pretty good slashing game.

12. DaDakota

Which would be a great career for a 2nd round pick, and a very nice borderline all star player.

DD

13. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

If there was a re-do of the 2009 NBA Draft, Chase Budinger, would definitely be lottery level talent!

Out of all of our young guys, chase is the one I want to keep the most, the kid definitely has star talent.

--RB

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Mike Miller is a good player. He could start on a lot of teams. I would be happy if Budinger wound up being Mike Miller... that's a great find from a second round pick.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I agree, Chase doesn't have Allen's penetrating or creating ability. I think he'll be better than Van Horn though.

I think Glenn Rice is about his ceiling.

16. adoo

adoo Member

actually, he ,drafted in the # 13 spot, was not even a lottery pick. where was the hype ???

there were many GMs in the NBA were snickering that Jerry had gone senile by trading away a 27-yr old starting center for the right to draft a high school kid.

nobody, not named Jerry West, was that high on the high schooler Kobe Bryant.

17. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

As much as I like Chase, I would happily include him in a deal to get Chris Paul, or Carmelo Anthony. He has such tantalizing skills that his best value might be now since he is on his rookie contract and does not appear to have that will to dominate that star players have.

18. t_mac1

wow. did you really post that?

lemme give you the history.

kobe was drafted #13 b/c back then HS players weren't trusted yet. but after kobe, kg, mac... paved the way for HS players, teams are willing to take chances now.

he was "hyped" (his speech to declare himself to go to the NBA was heard all on ESPN, him taking brandy to the prom, photoshoots...) in the media and was well known.

if that kobe was in the draft now, he would go #1 based on his high school accomplishments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v2aJdD_L3M

are you even serious?

19. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

Chase will start in 2-3 years

20. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

chase prolly would have had 30 or 40 if he drove to the basket alot more.