1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Chase Budinger - 24 Points Vs Nuggets (Summer League) (7.14.10)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by batkins, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

If his defense becomes average he will be starting for us if we don't get a big star player at the 3.

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

Of course, one plays football and the other plays volleyball. I meant same type of role and production. Well, actually I would be thrilled if C-Bud could put up Harpring's career number.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's what they said at Arizona too.

He is what he is.

His mentality is the problem, and he has had it for his entire life, and never truly dominated at any level like he should have...

4. GoRoc

GoRoc Member

God i hope he will stay.
    i rather we stand martin then this guy.

5. GoRoc

GoRoc Member

i mean send not stand...

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What sort of stats would you consider dominant Knote?

You have said this a lot about Chase, but he improved every year in College, had a good rookie year, and yet people expect him to dominate?

Why does he have to dominate to be a good NBA player? If he scores 15-18ppg on efficient shooting, and rebounds well and sets up his teamates, that is one heck of an NBA career and a quality teamate.

Maybe your expectations for him are too high......I am not expecting him to dominate, so few players do that in the NBA......why would you expect that from him?

DD

7. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Chase is a MAW FAWKIN BAD AZZ.

later.

8. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

wow he played with a lot of confidence in that vid. he looks like a young t-mac.

9. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

He did not improve for 3 years in college. His PPP actually went down his Sophmore and Junior years, and his PER went down his Sophmore year.

Per40
    Freshman
    PPG=19
    RPG=7
    APG=2
    FG%=49
    3FG%=37
    FTM=3
    FT%=85
    T/O=2

Sophomore
    PPG=19
    RPG=6
    APG=3
    FG%=45
    3FG%=38
    FTM=3
    FT%=72
    T/O=3

Junior
    PPG=19
    RPG=7
    APG=4
    FG%=48
    3FG%=40
    FTM=4
    FT%=80
    T/O=3

I could see him averaging 15 points If he got the minutes, but frankly, I don't think his defense is good enough at this point to warrant the 30-35 minutes it would take for him to get to that level. Synergy had him as one of the worst defenders in the NBA last year, and he struggled with his lateral quickness in college as well. His career has not shown one marked improvement yet, so what are the odds that he all of a sudden becomes competent on the defensive end?

By the way. Chase has never been great at setting up teammates. He does a great job of making the right play and not turning the ball over (Which fits our system perfectly), but he proved at Zona that his interior handle and interior strength made him incapable of creating for himself, which in turn made it tough for him to create for others, which is why he looks SO much nicer in the open court. He is a solid decision maker, but "setting up teammates" requires being able to create, which he has never been able to do effectively. It may sound like the same thing, but there is a difference there in being able to create, and being able to make the right play. I have never seen Chase do anything that indicates to me that he can create... Kevin Martin is very similar in that way of thinking.

There is no doubt that Chase is a solid, intelligent basketball player. Has he ever shown signs of improvement? Has he ever shown any kind of killer instinct?

I would say no, which to me, limits his potential.

One thing is for sure, he is in the perfect situation to improve with the Rockets. Shane Battier for defense, Kevin Martin for offense, Adelman's Princeton, I hope he can be a sponge and apply it on the court.

I think he will be a 7-8 man on most teams. Maybe higher on certain teams, Golden State, New York, Phoenix. Lower on others... He could really use a defensive minded wing to play with.

10. DaDakota

Instead of PPG, or PPS, you chose PP40.....because it made your point, come on now.....one could argue he improved based upon another set of criteria, you are selectively skewing the results.

He has at least the same level of quickness as Shane, so it can't hurt that he has Shane there tutoring him.

But I agree, there are no guarantees, and lots of folks are not great defenders and have very successful NBA careers, the guy that everyone is salivating over these days in Denver comes to mind.

So, you want him to scream and shout and get demonstrative? Does Tim Duncan have a killer instinct?

Isn't making crucial shots or clutch play a killer instinct? I am murky on your definition.

You may be right, I think he will be better than that, and will be a starter, even Morey says that his ceiling is unlimited, I believe him.

Still I respect your views, and you very well may be right, we shall see.

DD

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Bud has never shown the ability to isolate against someone which will preclude him from ever being an all-star type player. At best, he will be a very light version of Rashard Lewis without the post game and rediculous length.

12. DaDakota

How did Reggie Miller do in his career without that skill?

What about Ray Allen?

The NBA is littered with players who were very good primarily off the ball players.

Chase does need to work on his one on one game, but right now, he is a really good TEAM game player.

DD

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He needs to become consistent with that beautiful shot of his at this level. Chase already moves well without the ball, passes within Adelman's offense, makes his offensive rotations. If he can simply put the same effort at the defensive end, there's no reason, IMO, that he can't do what Luis has done, which is make the most of his defensive abilities, as limited as they are. Chase needs to do something else that Scola does... never take a play off, never relax, never stop that motor running. If he does that, Air Bud can be a quality 6th man off the bench, and even a starter. So far, he hasn't shown us that. We've had other guys who had beautiful shooting form and seemed capable of "Microwave" quality offense off the bench, yet ultimately failed. Budinger has more athleticism than most or all of those fellows. Does he have the ability to use the talent he has and be consistent? Time will tell, with the Rockets or with someone else.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Ray could break down his man which how he got off his shot. People had to respect his dribble penetration.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A9aWEZxuNQw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A9aWEZxuNQw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

15. DaDakota

No offense Rocbox, but did you watch that video? There was not a single penetrating drive in it.

Almost all 3pt shots, with a jab step pull up, Chase does that already very well.....not to Ray Allen's level....but he has that part of the game.

In fact Chase goes to the hole a bit and finishes strongly.....

Ray Allen was deadly because of his jumper, not his dribble drive penetration.

DD

16. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

1. I could have done his normal stats, and pointed out the minutes played, which is really all that increased. He did not improve statistically in any form of statistic in college. That was my point. PP48 is a good indicator of growth, and was a very relevant statistic in that case.

2. He does not have the same level of lateral quickness, and even if he did, Shane is one of a kind. It's like comparing Kobe's rookie stats with Chase's rookie stats... ;)

3. You know, the thing about Carmelo is that he can be a stud defender when he wants to be it seems. Similar to Tracy...:(...

4. This and number three go hand in hand I believe. There is a HUGE difference in the mentality of Carmelo Anthony/Kevin Martin/Jason Terry/Reggie Miller and Ray Allen compared to Chase Budinger... I won't get into defining what "it" is, but I don't think the mentality is there to be like the guys we so want to compare him to.

5. And I yours. I think his athletic ability and skillset makes his potential hard to define. I hope we keep him.

I would LOVE to see Chase and Jordan reach their potential with the Rockets...

17. Egghead

Egghead Member

Yes Chase lacks killer instinct.. but remember he had 3 different coaches in 3 yrs at Zona.

18. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Ray Allen was sick off the dribble... Especially in his Bucks days...

Check this video out, specifically at 2:57...

He was excellent in the post as well... His footwork is top notch...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FSqEFSCacHU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FSqEFSCacHU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

19. yaonow

yaonow Member

^ ya ppl forget how good of an athlete ray allen used to be. He could do some sick dunks and crossovers and penetrate extremely well in his younger days.

Chase needs to improve his lateral quickness. (if that is even possible)

20. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

you probably never watched ray allen in his bucks or sonics days. he's an off the ball player NOW. in his prime, he was a borderline elite 1-on-1 player.

chase is starter material. and that's all he will be, albeit a VERY VERY good starter for us if we do keep him.