1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Video: Black Guy Speaking Out Against Aspects of Black Culture

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crossover, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

https://medium.com/matter/the-talk-92371a1c0ae5

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The guy in the video is right, good find.

4. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

5. bongman

bongman Member

From left to right...Beard, PB, Dwight, Ariza and TJ.

1 person likes this.
  6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Hall, Murphy, Joyner, Winslow and Wallace.

7. amaru

amaru Member

Couldn't make it past 40 seconds.

More of the same old false equivalency and sweeping generalization argument.

There are 1 billion black people on the planet......if even one of them is successful, then his entire argument fails. And most are successful.

8. amaru

amaru Member

How about the cultural differences between Uganda and Trinidad and Tobago?

9. amaru

amaru Member

I guess I better tell my mother she isn't black anymore.

10. amaru

amaru Member

How many black people's financial situation are your personally aware of?

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Even better if you stop purporting to be African, or implying that Caucasians here aren't actually American.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Without even watching the clip one can plainly infer it refers to blacks in America. If you include blacks abroad you'd have to address things like combat rape, double-digit AIDS infection and infant mortality rates, witchcraft executions, pre-literate and pre-industrial economies wholly dependent on foreign aid from white countries...

13. amaru

amaru Member

Perhaps, but if that is the case then he is falling into an "american thinking trap".

I'm assuming he is an african-american and he wants to address his community, however "black" is not a term exclusive to that community. Most black people on the planet are NOT african-american and there is a sizable number of us living in the US that are not african-americans. When somebody makes a statement like " black people do x", I take it as a statement of the entire global population because that term is and has been applied to all of us.....from the rural american south, to the Australian continent, to the pacific islands.

The fact that he mentioned slavery, in a vlog relating to the events going on in Ferguson was confusing. The majority of African-Americans are 5+ generations removed from enslavement. Therefore it has no direct effect on the events in Ferguson. It's inclusion in this vlog makes me think that he is trying to tie two very different events together....you could argue that there is an indirect connection between the two, but he isn't arguing that. All of this makes me think that he has little to no idea what he is talking about.

His suggestion that all black people are running around simply complaining about injustice and doing nothing else is insulting. To adapt and overcome is human. Black people have done this and have continued to do this. The fact that he is free to make a vlog post about this topic is proof that alot of black people haven't simply complained about oppression, they have fought it and have made progress despite it. Think about it....to go from the bottom of slave ships to where we are now is progress. Again, he sounds like he has no idea what he is talking about.

All of this is why I turned this video off in about 40 seconds.

14. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

You can only do good for yourself, with media around. There no way to clean your image.

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I agree, it's become so cliched and frighteningly conformist. It's unoriginal observation, which some black people cling to, along with certain racist, right-wing neo-cons who deny racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, ableism and other forms of discrimination are a fabrication of the leftist media who have infiltrated powerful news media organization. Spreading their Marxist-egilitarian propaganda that demonizes rich-white males of mostly conservative institutions.

16. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fM_spk0tVo8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Jal5rorbj6Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So passionate..

18. amaru

amaru Member

Saw this one a few years back.

Also contains sweeping generalizations....but she made for sense than the first guy.

19. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

So I liked some of the things he said. But I'd like to extend this message to all communities.

Stop blaming other people and stop acting like fools for your situation.

When I see someone with baggy clothes walking with a limp TRYING to look like a thug, I am going to assume that person is a thug. It is important to note that thugs are not all black. And blacks are not all thugs. Thugs dress and behave a certain way. Young white people love to act like thugs too and I treat them with the same caution I do black thugs -- cautiously.

Same goes for young women. If you dress and act like a slut, I am going to assume you are a slut. Don't want to be treated like a slut? Don't dress like a prostitute.

Then you have snobby people who dress in $1000 clothes and hold their nose up to the sky. I am going to assume you are a snob, because you act like a snob.

My point is, if you don't want to be treated a certain way....don't act/dress a certain way.

I feel our society in general has gone down hill and there is very little decency. I can very easily look at a person walking down the street and determine whether or not I can reasonably assume that person is safe. I don't notice skin color. I notice clothing and behavior.

20. Remii

Remii Member

What does that matter...??? Black people's financial situation rather good or bad has nothing to do with what I said.