1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Video: Black Guy Speaking Out Against Aspects of Black Culture

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crossover, Nov 25, 2014.

1. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VT2v64Ykxc0?list=UUGJhKph3bHH3EIQ8GPIo5qw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nothing earth-shattering or necessarily new but it's well said and the speaker comes off charismatic delivering it. The video is trending rather high right now and I imagine it goes slightly viral.

I didn't mean for this post to be directed against blacks or anyone; I think the general message is great and applicable to all demographics. It's the year 2014 and we live in a developed first world country. Some people are born with unfortunate circumstances. At some point, you have to stop blaming, stop complaining, take responsibility to get yourself into a better position, and make your environment better.

As an aside, I think it's applicable to D&D discussions; usually D&D discussions are a clash of beliefs. But being a keyboard hero, shouting louder, and pointing fingers to advance bias or agendas doesn't help the situation - it dirties it. It dirties the environment and it doesn't improve one's self. It should be everyone's onus to listen, learn more, and really educate yourself on a topic. That in my mind is a truer form of patriotism and a path to becoming a respected person. Not a path of empowerment, but a lesson in humility.

1 person likes this.
  2. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

He's obviously racist...:eek:

3. dback816

dback816 Member

So he's black therefore he speaks for all black people?

Is this how white people think whenever a minority speaks up about something?

1 person likes this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I guess there needed to be a new one since Cosby is no longer viable.

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

If a black person speaks about personal responsibility in the black community he's just an uncle tom that white people champion.

If a white person speaks about personal responsibility in the black community, he's a racist, who has not lived in a black man's shoes and has no room to comment.

To summarize, no one can genuinely come out and call for personal responsibility in the black community.

1 person likes this.
  6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's the penchant of conservatives to find that one minority out of literally one hundred that agrees with them as a way to validate their point of view. As if having one percent support for a point of view is meaningful of anything. I HAS FOUND THE BLACK THAT AGREEZ! SEEE!

It's a funny juxtaposition where conservatives claim only minorities vote based on race but then the minorities that agree with them are logical, fair minded, and think for themselves.

Classic conservatism.

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Yeah everyone knows it is best to take personal responsibility and do the best with whatever hand no matter how ****ty you have.

Hopefully this is not offered as some sort of answer to all the problems in black poor communities or even the 90% of the Americans doing worse as the one % does better and better.

Personal responsibilty is not enough for folks in their 50's who lost all their money or their house due to corruption in the housing and stock markets in 2008. It is not enough if you are disabled by being sent to an unnecessary war or become disabled due to America being the only advanced society without national health care not really that helpful if you borrowed a hundred thousand to go to a lowly rated law school and have not found a job after a couple of years of looking etc.

Yeah Americans should do their best despite having the most unequal playing field of the advanced western democracies.

Nothing new here but "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" or the typical motivational/ Gospel of Wealth speech albeit by an African American.

It would be interesting to know if this was done or at least spread by the guys who brought us the hipster guy pumping gas that was explaining why he votes GOP we saw a few months back.

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Dude is right on the personal responsibility. Anyone can take and use that advice for good. He's wrong about accepting racism and injustice. Especially regarding profiling and sentencing. That should never be tolerated.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/J3Xe1kX7Wsc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9AMY2Bvxuxc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rocket River

10. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Ugh, I've said it many times before and I'll say it again:

There are black people who teach their children personal responsibility and a host of other positive attributes but you rarely hear about those positive people or teaching within black communities for whatever reason. What if I told you black culture was as varied as white, Asian and any other culture? This is one thing that kills me as a black man (not that being black gives my own opinion anymore weight in this debate) is that everybody wants to define the entire black population as the same and say black people, community, culture, society, etc. and give that group attributes, characteristics, beliefs, etc. that are the same. Black people in NYC vary greatly from black people in Jackson, MS culturally, socially, etc. just like white people in those areas vary just as much.

Again, it's not as simple as black culture because black cultures are, like other cultures, extremely varied. A subset within black culture (hip-hop) tends to promote those ideas such as thuggery, drug use/sales, etc. but it's not all or even the majority of black people that promote this idea and even within that subset it's limited but just gets a lot of damn press, way more than it should actually. It's a lot like the rock n roll subculture encourages rebellion, illegal drug use, overall recklessness, etc. but that doesn't define white culture or white people overall.

1 person likes this.
  11. dback816

dback816 Member

Yes, because the difference between NYC and Mississpi is as great as the difference between South Korea and Pakistan right.

lol?

12. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Where did I say that? I never spoke about how different they are but there is no denying that they are different and that isn't just black people from the regions, it's all people. My only point is not to simplify black people and lump them all together and act like one person speaks for all of us. What is that so hard to understand?

13. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

I don't think there's any contradiction here. I don't think anyone including the guy in the video is giving a one-size-fits-all label to black people; he's saying that certain groups and certain portions of what is considered black culture are just not conducive towards improving themselves, their communities, and taking responsibility for your future.

And while I don't believe in giving a blanket stereotype, I do believe there are varying degrees within cultures. There's a degree to which the detrimental values of one culture happens vs. another. It doesn't just help to just give an euphemism or aphoristic statement that all things comes in different colors and sizes.

Asians originally came to the US mostly as indentured workers as well, but are typified by work ethic, pragmatic success, family values and the like. They are currently the highest wage demographic in the US. Are all Asians like that? Of course not. But their culture is framed that way because a large percentage of the demographic believes in those values and they hold large import within their communities. The deprecating aspects of black culture need to make that change (as well as deteriorating values in white and colors-of-all-kind communities across America).

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The difference is that Asians and other immigrants came to America in search of a better opportunity so that's why they are known for their hard work in America. The first generations instilled that upon their offspring.

That is why you see Nigerian immigrants being one the most successful immigrant groups at the moment in America. Only the hardworking people come over.

Black people aren't immigrants in America.

15. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Everything not about personal responsibility was just sad.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Why do you need to ghost-write an open letter to people you, your parents and grandparents actively avoided for all of your lives? Why not just post articles or videos of one of the millions of black people who lead productive lives every day, or, as statistical minorities, have racially balanced enough childhoods, education and social lives to not embrace or imbue whatever aspects of black culture this clip I didn't watch is whining about?

17. dback816

dback816 Member

Those railroad workers sure found some great opportunities in the old west didnt they.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It's not about race or color...it's about stupid, loud folk who use Portrait view for videos.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Pretty much.

Yeah, you have to play with the cards you were dealt. That's always the case, no matter the color, gender, sexual preference...you can do nothing but play with the cards you were dealt.

Doesn't mean you don't ask to draw a new hand of cards though.

People have every right to whine, complain, point out injustice and inequality.

20. Remii

Remii Member

Hard to take advice from a dude wearing such a ridiculous hat.

Personal responsibility goes for everyone...

My advice for black people. Start watching who you spend your money with. Many black people run to give every last dollar they make to the same people they are begging for equality and or fair treatment from, and or who they complain about.