1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Vice Sports) Ryan Anderson is Making the Rockets Glad They Didn't Trade Him

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

It's not the playoffs yet. Just wait.

mac_got_this and roslolian like this.
  2. amaru

amaru Member

Overpaying role players is never ok. That exactly what championship teams avoid doing

roslolian likes this.
  3. OTMax

OTMax Member

More shots from the corners!! See this the type of efficiency we’re not maximizing at all.

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

They avoid doing it during the team building phase...not the contending phase. Morey said he was going to match Parsons if we got Bosh...an obvious overpay but it was ok if we were contending.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  5. mockster

mockster Member

Ryan Anderson is great until somone actually putsch body on him. He will get shut down by a Draymond green.

I would’ve flipped Anderson for Melo in a heart beat

roslolian likes this.
  6. finsraider

finsraider Member

If Draymond "shuts down" Anderson, it means CP3 and Harden are attacking the rim with impunity.

7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah well we haven't exactly proven to be the team players bandwagon on to chase that ring just yet. If we can at least make the finals don't be surprised if certain aging vets take minimums just so they can hitch a ride. It'll happen sooner than later I hope.
    As much as I am glad Ryan has improved, but I still wonder about his ability to help us against teams like the Spurs, Warriors and Memphis and possibly New Orleans where they have legit pf's who can hinder Ryan's abilities. That's when he's shown to pass shots even wide open shots. If sleepy Luc continues to emerge and becomes a deadly outside shooter as well, is also capable of playing pf, cheaper and is great off the bench I still wouldn't mind shipping Ryno for a legit threat in the Front court. He is good but I wouldn't lose any sleep if he was traded for an Anthony Davis, Boogie, PG or if need be Melo..

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

If Draymond Green is shutting down Ryan Anderson 25+ feet from the basket, we are annihilating the Warriors.

In truth, they would put Durant on Anderson and let Green protect the rim.

Which is why we need to play Anderson at C against the Warriors and PJ Tucker at PF. Now they have problems and we are not dipping defensively with this line up.

#68 Mathloom, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I dun think Ryan needs to be shut down in the playoffs, he has his 20 pts games, they are very rare with good enough D.

10. amaru

amaru Member

The problem is Anderson is virtually untradable because of his contract. Teams want two firsts and another rotation player as a price for taking him. That’s not because of Ryno....it’s his contract

11. amaru

amaru Member

Dude you can guard Ryno with an athletic 2-3.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  12. amaru

amaru Member

They don’t do it at all. Name one bad contract GSW has. That’s the point. The margin of error is razor slim. Overpaying one dimensional players kills you

13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Sure you can. But you will lose elsewhere, probably at the 2-3.

So they put Iggy or Klay on Anderson, and we have Paul/Gordon/Harden at the 1/2/3. Again, we will annihilate them. There is no situation where Anderson is being guarded closely that far out and we have two monster offensive players on the floor in Harden and Paul and the other team is ok.

The only question is whether we can guard them. They can't stop this offense.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Wow! I had no idea about that. Keep up the good work Ryno.

Obito likes this.
  15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If Draymond Green shuts down Ryan's 24-27' shots, then who is going to shut down Harden going to the rim with Capela....not Draymond Green.

It's like Spurs fans in 1995 saying Rodman would shut down Horry ... it's like, well, so, go for it....we want him away from helping on Hakeem and Drexler drives...and the defensive boards.

A elite-shooting, stretch-4 versus GSW is absolutely the best type of 4 you could want from a role-player. The Spurs, on the other hand, can't operate very well when Green shuts down LMA, because LMA will never take him away from the rim help defense, like Anderson can.

AroundTheWorld and Mazulis like this.
  16. topfive

topfive CF OG

He gets all nervous when he misses a shot and Harden's mom gives him the evil eye.

17. amaru

amaru Member

We are close....closer than anybody else. Idk if we are quite there though. I think we need one more big
    piece

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I have a question that perhaps someone can answer here. When Anderson is shooting treys at home, what's the split between his percentage shooting on the end of the court with the Red Rowdies, and the other end of the court? The reason I ask, and to be clear, I'm a big supporter of the Rowdies, is that amongst them, they wear a hell of a lot of red, and they show up for games, bless them. If the color does impact Ryan's shooting percentage from behind the arc, in particular, is it unreasonable to think that his % would be worse on the Rowdies end of the TC than the other end? On the face of it, a goofy question, but one I'd be interested in finding an answer to.

Anyone know the splits?

19. CertifiedTroll

Can we just use 'analytics' and only play Ryan on the road?

amaru likes this.
  20. Mathloom

Supporting Member

It would be nice to get a big piece, but we don't need it to beat them. We will add an FA good piece before the playoff deadline, mark my words (most likely a buyout player). That should be sufficient. We have a bit less talent, a coaching/management staff that is better at optimizing the talent, but where we can overcome them is in effort. If this team's identity is that it works harder than the Warriors, we have a great chance.

Although our schedule has been relatively easy (though road-heavy), we are the only NBA team in top 10 offensive and defensive rating >> without our best defensive and 2nd best offensive player. In fact he is an All-NBA defender 9 times and one of the most efficient offensive players in history.

People seem to forget that the most talented team hasn't always won. AFAIC, we are better than I thought. When Gordon is replaced by Paul, the starting line up won't lose a blip and Gordon will elevate that 2nd unit (with Paul's help a lot of the time). Moute, Tucker, Black haven't even reached their best imo.

Mazulis and hakeem94 like this.