1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vescey comparing Laker role players to Rockets/Bulls

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nikos, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Nikos

Nikos Member

SHAQ JUST GETTING BETTER AND BETTER
    BY PETE VECSEY

below is just a portion of the article

http://www.nypost.com/sports/17651.htm

"CORRECT me if this notion is totally twisted, but I don't recall any title team - not Michael's Jordanaires, not Hakeem's supporting cast, not Isiah's junior partners - who flaunted as many peripheral players capable of draining important shots from long range as these Lakers. Every season the Bulls had one or two guys (John Paxson, Steve Kerr, Bobby Hansen, Trent Tucker) who would make the defense pay for doubling His Airness, whereas Robert Horry, Sam Cassell, Vernon Maxwell and Kenny Smith certainly took the defensive heat off Hakeem Olajuwon. But let's terminate all talk about L.A. being a 2-man (with apologies to Fat Joe) terror squad. The Laker understudies (The Bondsman, Derek Fisher, Rick Fox, Devean George and Brian Shaw) would do to the Jordanaires what Jerry Krause routinely does to deep-dish pizza. "

What is Vesecy trying to say about the Rockets role players?? They werent as good as the Lakers? Or is he saying they just werent as good of three point shooters? I dont understand what Vescey is saying.

2. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

rockets role player were deffianly better than the bulls or lakers

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i guess he's trying to say they're better 3-point shooters. but at the same time with that argument he's showing how even more impressive dream and michael's runs were.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well for starters the Rockets championship teams didn't have Rick Fox on their team. That's the biggest plus in our favor.

Fox is really into that 80's Don Johnson 5 o'clock shadow, as he never ever seems to shave or have a full beard for the games. He runs around like a pretty boy, with that pretty boy hair.

It doesn't matter how he plays ball, the non-ball things make him the worst supporting cast member of any of the three championship teams.:D

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Although he's called the article "SHAQ JUST GETTING BETTER AND BETTER ", he's basically saying that Hakeem was better than Shaq.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You're just jealous he is married to Vanessa Williams. :D

7. Holden

Holden Member

Peter Vescey listens to Fat Joe?
    now theres something you wouldnt expect.

:(

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm with you on this one, TheFreak. But I don't think Vecsey knows that was what he was saying! :D

9. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

You took the words right out of my mouth.

10. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Who cares what Vescey says.:p
    It is mostly gibberish anyways.:D

The Rockets supporting cast was as good as it needed to be.
    The Bulls supporting cast was as good as it needed to be.
    The Lakers supporting cast was as good as it needed to be.

They were all champs and they all earned the victories. Without the respective supporting casts, the so-called Stars would never have won. Without the so-called stars, the supporting casts would never have won.

11. Fichte

Fichte Member

Vecsey's an idiot for not actually substantiating his wild and outlandish assertions that reeks of too much of the current hype. Perhap cold, incisive and analytical reasoning isn't needed when hyperbole is sensational enough to sell papers by catering solely to the aesthetic tastes of the superfluous bandwagoners.

12. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I know I would be...

13. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Exactly what I though. God what a dumb ass Vescey is. Its a backhanded compliment to the Dream, but we'll take it.

14. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

The mere fact that he acknowledges that the Rockets actually won a championship is a victory in itself, as far as I am concerned.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

that may have been the most incoherant article i have ever read.