1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Very disappointed in our "salary dump" trade deadline.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Slam Dunk, Feb 7, 2019.

1. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Agreed... i think getting under Lux Tax was absolutely the goal unless you hit a HR and get an AD type player. However, the Rockets don't have the assets that teams would want to unload their Allstar/Superstar. They were willing to part with 4 1st rounders earlier in the year for Butler, but that didn't work out either.

IMO, if you go after players like Baze/Mirotic/Temple/Green, while all would likely make positive impacts this year, paying the Luxury Tax now would hamstring the Rockets future once Harden's "super max contract" kicks in. The end goal was to avoid the "repeater" tax, which they've done.

PLUS - they just unloaded a bunch of scrubs for someone that can actually help and also has championship experience. While Shump's stats wont blow you away, he still played an integral part to the Cavs' championship.

coyotetex likes this.
  2. Slam Dunk

Slam Dunk Contributing Member

Putting things into perspective, we essentially gave away a first round draft pick and several second round draft picks to dump Ryan Anderson's contract, and picked up Iman Shumpert along the way.

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Good post .

There's still time for tilman to redeem himself. But the way he has talked and the moves we have made aren't giving me a lot of confidence.

Maybe Morey ****ed up going for Paul ... but the fact that Morey takes such huge risks let's me know that he had a dual mandate this deadline . And I think "improve the team" played second to "get us out of the tax."

Maybe had there been a star available we would have gone for it . Still , there was help available and I don't like not throwing the kitchen sink out there when you have harden playing like he is.

Gray_Jay, steddinotayto and Kim like this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Well here's my POV on it: if Knight's contract was expiring we probably could have ended up with Otto Porter or someone at that level yesterday. The fact that he had one more year on his deal was why Morey couldn't put together packages that looked better.

As for the Markieff and Mirotic of the world...it's hard to say Morey lost out on them considering both were always available but both are also very injured...well specifically Markieff. I can see why Morey (and Tilman) didn't want to spend assets on players that, while talented and for a need, might not be there come playoff time. THAT would have been doing Harden a disservice (bringing in more injured teammates)

YOLO likes this.
  5. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Love that we ducked the TAX and now will be able to pay it for the next couple of years with ease..and not worry about the repeaters tax

The Rockets as constructed, with health, are a legitimate threat to win it all, thats why these series of trades make me feel even better about all of this. Good job Morely!

coyotetex and Smacktle like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

and markieff is on the market now btw being release by nop

7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think we could have landed porter if tilman had OKed it .

Sure Portis and Parker are a better package but we could have included a first or two which is better than the seconds they got.

Knights contract expiring next year could actually be beneficial for teams looking to leverage his salary next deadline . So sure it's dead money now , but will become a positive asset in the future

steddinotayto likes this.
  8. steddinotayto

Given his neck injury I don't think Morey will risk it. I think he'll be patient and wait for more players to drop. Of course I could be way wrong because aren't the twins and Harden close?

snowconeman22 likes this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Markieff just had neck surgery .

If adding him is our big play then I'm not excited. Maybe it will work out , nonetheless not a very good bet

MrSabotage likes this.
  10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I’m not there yet, but getting better. I just hate.... Hate giving up draft picks. I also hate that our third best 3/4 is Gary Freaking Clark.

They are banking on scoring big again free buyout vets. I think they are a bit too arrogant after scoring big on Faried and Rivers. We have terrible depth right now at the wings and it’s going to hurt come playoff time.

Slam Dunk likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

i think harden is close enough to them that he and the rockets will look into it and see what his prognosis is. I doubt if its not a positive outlook of some sort that they do it. They learned from the wright situation last year

snowconeman22 and steddinotayto like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

there was no surgery

13. steddinotayto

You gotta admit though, going from owing Porter $60+ million to basically owing nothing this summer is better than having to worry about what to do with Knight in 2019-2020.

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Oh for sure .

And porter may not be a high enough level player to justify if .

But his fit seems so good and I dunno if we could realistically do better than adding someone of his caliber . Given equal talent level ... his fit seems to be one of the best .

15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

There is no luxury tax

16. steddinotayto

Lol dude I'm the co-founder of the Otto Porter Movement. I know how great the 3&D Messiah would have looked on this roster.

17. Slam Dunk

Faried and Rivers are great pickups, but they're also half-year rentals. We won't be able to keep them for minimum contracts next year. I'm hoping we'll be able to sign House onto a contract this year because we desperately need a decent 3&D wing player who can defend multiple positions. We're going to get killed in the playoffs against the Warriors otherwise. Before anyone says "well we won't beat the Warriors anyways," this has always been the goal of our team as constructed.

18. SkareKrow

SkareKrow Member

How long is the "now" when youre in the "win now mode"? Rockets have been in "win now mode" for about 4 years now and next year will be another one. Morey should be thinking short and long term. He wasnt able to do much this deadline because of past "win now" moves that didnt work.

19. Slam Dunk

The window is Harden's prime, which is the next 3-4 years, because we have a once-in-a-generation talent and it's going to be a decade statistically before we get to draft another.

20. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

You don't HAVE to, and in a perfect world, the owner would be willing to pay the repeater tax. For example, OKC is. But the reality is that over 90% of teams don't. I wish the Rockets were an exception to the general rule, but I don't see the point in having a meltdown over Fertitta doing something that 90%+ of owners would do. The other thing, as far as the repeater tax goes, is that we already knew Fertitta wouldn't go there. I don't see the point in getting all up in arms over it today and not when Fertitta said it way back on Media Day. This isn't breaking news -- the only difference is that the Rockets are doing a non-LT season in 2018-19, instead of 2020-21 or something.

Now, if Fertitta and the Rockets don't pay the tax in one of the next three seasons after this maneuver... then yeah. Pitchforks would be justified. David summed it up well here:

I just don't see why today is some huge bombshell and Fertitta's statement back on Media Day wasn't. We already knew it was coming at some point. And it's not like the Rockets did nothing but try to cut costs. They went after Butler, I'm sure they placed calls on AD and Tobias, etc. Unfortunately, they didn't have the assets for the bigger names. So, once they got within 24 hours of the deadline and conceded the "all-in" type moves weren't happening, they pivoted to Shumpert and basically said "let's get the non-LT season out of the way now," since the only upside to paying the tax this late in the game would be keeping Ennis as your 11th man.

If they don't spend in future seasons, it's absolutely worth being upset over all this. I just don't know what the point is in being enraged today, unless you already were by the Media Day comments... and I never got that sense.