1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Very disappointed in our "salary dump" trade deadline.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Slam Dunk, Feb 7, 2019.

1. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

So what exactly would you do? Who are you trading away and trading for? I look forward to your response...

Smacktle and roslolian like this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Seriously. The "fans" here in CF has been dropping in IQ every passing year wtf

Smacktle, Handles and waytookrzy079 like this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Lol newsflash: people don't get richer by spending

Smacktle and tinman like this.
  4. plates300

plates300 Member

not disappointed. at all. "Going all in" means getting high impact players, ones that were not available to the Rockets. Maybe the other GM's don't like dealing with Morey or maybe the other teams had better players/picks to trade. Going all in also means being smart with your cap situation. Why be in cap hell if you're not going to beat the Warriors or other top East teams? Trades and all that are more so sheer dumb luck at times.

5. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

it’s incomplete until they use the roster spots. I’m guessing one will go to House. Maybe another to Jordan. I have no clue about the last one.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Like Les

steddinotayto likes this.
  7. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

It took Billions for Fertita to buy the team. You should become a Billionaire yourself, buy the team, and pay repeater luxury tax. No? Dont want to? Then stop complaining.

cbs1507 and steddinotayto like this.
  8. steddinotayto

Wait....you mean to tell me Les didn't spend either??? Based on the comments here about people wanting him back I'd thought Les just paid that repeater tax like it was nothing.

9. BigBum

BigBum Member

Tilman will receive a portion of $150 million luxury tax income. He can use these money to sign free agents in July.

Thunder 66 million
    GS 50 million
    Raptors 21 million
    Blazers 12 million
    Total $150 million (rounded)

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The board as a collective now knows nothing about Rockets history
    I bet some people don't even know where Houston is on a map

Smacktle and steddinotayto like this.
  11. steddinotayto

That's what I've said before--most on here that are b****ing about this team don't remember the dark days when the ceiling for the team was 42 wins because our "great" owner refused to tank. Morey has had to turn over the roster multiple times because BOTH owners gave him a directive that he had to follow. And for the most part, Morey's done a damn fine job at putting together a competitive team without having high picks or the luxury of having a LeBron James on his team.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i'm a huge supporter of our GM. he's one of the best in the league. but i'm allowed to say that he's disappointed me this year. and btw, why are you focused on the long-term when we are in win now mode?

Slam Dunk likes this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

I think win now is Harden's prime, not just all or nothing this year.

The Cat likes this.
  14. Slam Dunk

Slam Dunk Contributing Member

It'll be close to ~$2-3M which is what it was last year. This should just be peanuts for a billionaire.

15. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Bazemore was available. And Yes, Baze is better than Shump.

Mirotic was available for four 2nd round picks.
    We unloaded a 1st round pick and two second round picks for Shump.

People think we didn't do the Temple & Green deal because MEM acted in bad faith but I think its fairly obvious that our goal was to get under the tax. And MEM only got a second round pick for those two.

More importantly what I am mad about is the opportunity cost. Harden not going to play like this forever. I think at the very least, CP is in the beginning phase of his decline. Harden has been at a MVP level for the last three years and you're crazy to think this is going to last.

16. BigBum

BigBum Member

It seems that many fans does not have confidence to win 1 or 2 Championships.
    Clearly Sixers, Raptors and Bucks Gm did better than Morey.
    Danny Ainge is very overrated this season.

17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Oh Morey is amazing .

If he had an owner that said ,"hey let's cross that lux tax bridge when we get to it " don't ya think he would have made some different moves .

Morey gave up Ennis FO FREE .

Morey hasn't signed House to his patented 3-year deal yet .

I'm disappointed in Tilman for not opening up every avenue for us to get better this year . You have the best player in the league playing at his peak . Your other "star" is on the decline . Man , you wanna kick the can down the road do it 3 years from now when CP3 really is no longer a #2 and harden could use a break .

Harden is giving this team everything and we can't open up the piggy bank to give guys like house a contract .

I'll eat my crow if we do spend some MLE or sign House long term ....

But right now it looks like tilmans primary goal this deadline was to escape the lux tax vs improve the team . Sure we might have improved the team a bit with shumpert . Could we have improved it more has the hesitation about th lux tax not been there ... 100 percent yes

18. steddinotayto

I think @The Cat or @BimaThug tweeted/said it best: If you want to build around Harden in his prime years you're going to have to dip below the LT at some point during his extension. Otherwise you're toast from an ownership perspective as well as a team building perspective. If this year is THE year to do it that's fine with me. If Tilman continues to penny pinch then yea go ahead and hand me a pitchfork too.

Bottom line is the luxury tax hasn't nor did it prevent us from being one of the best teams this year---injuries and decline in production from the core players caused that.

Smacktle, Kim and Slam Dunk like this.
  19. Slam Dunk

Slam Dunk Contributing Member

This is exactly how I feel. Well said.

Smacktle and steddinotayto like this.
  20. steddinotayto

Btw thanks for responding in a cordial manner. People around here don't get enough credit for that.

snowconeman22 likes this.