1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Verizon - Are their prices ridiculous to anyone else?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lynus302, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I need some cell phone advice, y'all.

My current Verizon plan is:
    -Monthly access charge: $69.99
    -Monthly allowance minutes: 450 anytime minutes
    -Per minute rate after allowance: $0.45 peak , $0.45 off-peak
    -Unlimited nights and weekends
    -Unlimited txts: additional $10/month

This puts my bill usually about ~$78/month. 450 minutes is usually fine because most everyone I know and talk to on a regular basis also uses Verizon, so those minutes are free, but every once in awhile I really go over my minutes, so I figured I'd look into updating my plan.

All I'm really interested in is unlimited anytime minutes and unlimited texting, which is frickin' $89.99/month. This does NOT include data/internet, which is another $9.99/month for 25mb of data or $29.99/month for unlimited. I've never really used this as I've always found Verizon's mobile web thing to be ridiculously slow, but if I wanted to max out my phone (Samsung Alias 2), my bill would be $120/month and that's before all the taxes and fees they'd add on to my bill.

My girl is on AT&T with an iPhone. She has unlimited minutes, texts, and the data/internet package thing for $75/month. I know how much everyone b****es about AT&T, but she has no complaints. Granted, she's on a family plan so maybe that makes it cheaper, but holy crap y'all....is this just the way it is or am I missing something?

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I'm on 450min, ulminited data, blackberry plan for like $80 after all the fees.

I'm switching over to the employee plan though, and getting unlimited everything for $30-$40 a month with the new EVO phone. Just waiting for them to allow that phone on the employee plan. (love that my gf works at Radioshack at the moment).

3. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

That's Sprint, not Verizon. Stop torturing the poor guy. :)

4. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

My wife and I are on AT&T family plan with iPhones. We have unlimited everything and it's around $140/month for the both of us.

I also live in Austin and have no problems with AT&T service/dropped calls. I know this is a problem in places like San Francisco and NYC.

5. Asian Sensation

I have Verizon. I get 900 mins with unlimited texts for $79.99. I have a 20% discount off through my employer so the bill is around $65 bucks per month. I could have sworn when I had 450 minutes the monthly charge was $59.99 not $69.99 could be wrong though.

6. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Yeah VZ is expensive but it is also the best network and has the best customer service. You gotta pay a premium for that.

7. lpbman

lpbman Member

My favorite bs charge is the extra $10 bucks to an EVO plan on sprint. I don't have 4g in my area, and probably won't for years to come... but according to the sales rep, it also does a bunch of stuff that other phones don't do.

Oh yeah it does the wifi hotspot thing... ?

No, that will be another $30 per month... just don't download an extra gigabyte using that wifi hotspot or that'll be another $50 in data overage.

Right... So I flashed it to Cricket and pay $35 per month.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

All the cell phone carriers are too expensive for my taste. I'm joining back onto my dad's plan to save $80/month.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

That seems high or overly itemized. I believe Sprint gives me the whole schmear for $99.99. Only problem I had was when I switched to a basic plan and then started using the internet, something like $7.00 a KB. If I were you I would shop around for a better deal, but don't go down market like Cricket or Amp'd or something.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Just make sure when he passes that your outgoing caller ID doesn't say "Estate of (Dead Parent's Name)" on it, for like two or three years. I had Sprint CSRs and store managers telling me to mail them a death certificate just so people could know they weren't being called by a ghost. Funny, when I finally bought a $500 smart phone and upgraded my plan they were able to take care of it, presto-change-o.

11. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

I am paying $144 for 1400 minutes (and unlimited N&W) + unlimited text/mms + unlimited data one the iPhone line.

Pretty good I think.

12. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

Opps, forgot to add thats the for 5 lines. We always have roll-over minutes so the minutes are never of any concern. Family plan is the way to go. Plus if you can get a discount it helps A LOT!

13. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

I pay abt $70/month for 450 minutes.. 250 texts, unlimited data..

14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm with Verizon and I pay $160/month for two phone lines, with 1400 minutes, unlimited texts for both, unlimited data plan for me ($10 data plan for my mom) and some insurance crap.

15. Uprising

LOL. Forgot, the EVO is on Sprint.

I'm currently with ATT, free nights and weekends. Roll over...I never use my min, so it keeps rolling over, and expiring because i've had them for so long.

16. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Near as I can tell, my bill seems to be in the same ballpark as most of you, so now I've got to figure out what to do. I've always been happy with Verizon's service despite their slow internet, and I've never had to deal with their customer service.

I'm stuck with them for another year, at least.

Thanks y'all.

17. Uprising

Well, talk to a radio shack rep. (employee). They offer 20% discounts for many employees of other companies, hell even McDonald's employees get 20% discount on their contract.

18. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

This helps a lot. I am currently getting 25% off my line or else it would be close to $200+. Since someone mentioned insurance, that reminds me that I have to take off the insurance on two of the lines. Biggest waste of money is the insurance. They don't let you choose your phone and by the time you need to use it, you are due for an upgrade. So now I can get it down to $134.

19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It's worth paying for it the first year, but after that it's useless since you can get the early upgrade now.

20. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

how are you paying $70/month for 450 mins and no txt?

Its

$40/month for 450 mins only without txt
    $60/month for 450 mins with unlimited txts

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/plansingleline.jsp?lid=//global//plans//individual

Disclaimer: Have to defend my employer for false facts.... :grin:

if you compare prices, AT&T have the EXACT same plans, the only difference is the new data plans AT&T has with Smartphones/Blackberries, which aren't unlimited anymore

Sprint/Tmobile do have cheaper plans, but you can hear from others experience in here

btw, you check this site for getting discounts from your work, it can range anywhere from 5%-35%, depending on your employer, its adds up monthly

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/employee/emaildomainauthentication.jsp

of course, me working for the company, I get a pretty nice discount :)