1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Venting About the Backup Center Position One Last Time Before the Deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RestHarden, Feb 8, 2018.

1. hakeemthagreat

Yep. We need size. But if we replace Black for someone his build, I hope we can snag Faried from Denver. I think Faried would absolutely thrive in our offense. As far as Nene, I think he's been pacing himself this season. He looked pretty lethargic early but lately he's been looking like his normal self. Not sure OP's beef with Nene is

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nene gonna kick OP's ass :D

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

serious about what. the rockets are 40-13. you act like theyre doing something wrong. you say those things about ryno and tucker yet they still play at the 5. who knows what theyre doing you or the coaching staff

The cavs defense sucks bc their entire team doesn't play defense collectively. big difference. You think deandre jordan is going to magically fix everything wrong about that team. youre sadly mistaken. thats just delusional

oh please. i value defense probably more than anything. but complaining about nene not being a shot blocker as a legit reason to not play him is just dumb. if you;re going to talk about a bigger need and actualy be logical, its black that you should be targeting.

4. mario_v

mario_v Member

F u ck it, let’s just play ryno at center just like they did against the spurs in the playoffs and get blown out and give up layup after layup.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

of course, a typical cf's post as a response

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Springer shouldn’t be hitting leadoff

#40-13

Invisible Fan and YOLO like this.
  7. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Willie Reed will be waived by Bulls... He did well in Mia last year when Whiteside was out and in LA when Jordan was out when he got minutes. Long active athlete. Seems to fit the bill for a backup C for us.

#27 Russjr2, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    D-rock and buffalobills!!! like this.
  8. RestHarden

RestHarden Member

Nene is not good enough offensively. He is not efficient with his pick and rolls and getting passes in general from Paul. He isn't close to as efficient with his opportunities as Capela. Without this type of offensive efficiency, Paul's talent is not maximized.

I wasn't suggesting we need an All Star or anything close. Just an upgrade who can work with Paul: be able to dunk/catch lobs, be able to finish at a high percentage around the rim.

#28 RestHarden, Feb 8, 2018
    Beardaholic13 likes this.
  9. alethios

alethios Member

We need a decent backup point guard just as much. With EGo down, our only backup is Markel Brown. Maybe we should bring back Garbage Mamba but he's still not a solid backup.

Little Bit likes this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So .. . .who are the suggestions so far and what do they cost?
    Nerlens -
    Willie Reed -
    Faried -

Which are available and how much do they cost?

Rocket River

bulkatron likes this.
  11. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

I like Nene as the back-up center a lot and I think he does a fine job. I only worry about if he (or Capela for that matter) gets hurt. When he got hurt in the playoffs last year it hurt our depth so bad. I don't think we need to hit the trade deadline hard but I hope we can maybe pickup another big man from a buy out. There were talks of Brook Lopez getting bought out wasn't there? I'd be cool with bringing him in

12. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Joe Chee is offended.

13. RestHarden

RestHarden Member

Not sure. I haven't had time to look. But I really feel the Warriors with overpaid Iguodala, underperforming Nick Young, Aging McGee and Pachulia, too old David West, and Livingston dropping down to earth, now is the time to beat the Warriors with the method mentioned above.

PG is not an issue. Paul and Harden play PG.

I have a soft spot for Noel but he's still not healthy and his GM hates us. Noel and Capela would be pretty badass.

I wrote earlier this year that Jahill Okafor from the 76ers would have been perfect. All we had to give was a late first + Nene.

#33 RestHarden, Feb 8, 2018
  14. CapelaOnlyFan

CapelaOnlyFan Member

CP insurance is the biggest need imo. Can't trust him to be there when it counts idk I'm just paranoid I guess

15. hakeemthagreat

I'm not sure what you've been watching. Nene is a FAR better post scorer than Capela. Capela is a better finisher above the rim off pick & roll. But when teams take that away Capela has a harder time scoring. Midrange & post scoring wise, Nene is the superior player. That is important when teams with bigger centers clog the paint up. Nene can scoring in stretches in the post & shoot the midrange shot. That's always going to be there if needed

16. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Andrew Bogut.

mario_v likes this.
  17. alethios

alethios Member

The problem with Nene is his health and endurance. He's really only able to give about 15 min/game, and Black is not a solid backup option unless he somehow improves his court awareness. Even though I'm more in the "need backup PG" camp, we do still need a reliable backup center as an adjunct to Nene.

18. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I would like to see another smart athletic big as well. We have seen how our offense can be bogged down when Capela is not in there. When rox do not have that above rim threat then our three point snipers get covered up. Right now we have one guy (Capela) that can go get a pass and throw it down. If he goes down for any amount of time I am concerned that our offense will stall.

D-rock likes this.
  19. RestHarden

RestHarden Member

Nah man. I can't even reply to that actually. It's so bad it just makes me feel ill. Nene is Not close to as good a finisher as Capela after catching passes from Chris Paul, whether it be a lob or require a layup. That's just obvious fact. Nene barely has anything above 50% chance of scoring off a CP pass when rolling to the rim. Capela has one of the highest shooting percentages in the league. Your argument has no merit no matter what way you look at it. Had you've said Nene was efficient, then it would have been annoying but potentially somewhat debatable. But nobody in the league is better than Capela at finishing at the moment.

OK, I just reread what you said. You seem to be arguing against a point I never made. I'm Not talking about post playing (which Nene does once a game on average?). I'm talking about getting more out of the team with Chris Paul. What relevance does 1 or 2 post plays have to do with anything? It isn't close to as valuable as what someone who works well with CP would be to a team overall. 1 or 2 Nene post plays pffft.

#39 RestHarden, Feb 8, 2018
  20. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

What about kris humphries?